Book Review: The Suicide of Altering the Faith in the Liturgy (now including other comments)
  • Liam
    Actually, the previous translation also invoked the Holy Spirit, albeit in a truncated vernacular:

"Let your Spirit come upon these gifts to make them holy, so that they may become for us the body and blood of our Lord, Jesus Christ."
    Thanked by 1Andrew Motyka
  • francis
    Ah. I think the removal of 'oblations' is the issue. Anything to do with sacrifice was systematically stripped from the liturgical prayers. If you read back further this point is made and continues throughout.
  • Liam
    No, gifts and oblations are synonymous in this context. His complaint is about the failure to invoke the Holy Spirit on the offerings that are being made holy, not about the word to describe the offering in that invocation. He overshot his target.
    Thanked by 1Andrew Motyka
  • francis
    Liam:

Here is the reference from further up.

Since the Consilium defined the Mass in strictly Protestant terms which constitute a denial of the propitiatory nature of the sacrifice, it is no wonder that it systematically expunged from the liturgy nearly every reference to the propitiatory oblation, of which the Mass essentially consists.45 The making of the new rite has followed the same pattern as the making of the Protestant liturgies.

This was the pretense of the paragraphs that followed. Specifically removing the sacrficial elements.

To put the matter briefly, if the first Prayer Book of Edward VI is compared with the Missal, sixteen omissions can be detected, the evident purpose of which was to eliminate the idea of sacrifice ... even after that drastic treatment there still remained a few phrases and rubrics on which Gardiner could fasten, endeavouring to understand them as still asserting the real objective Presence and the True Sacrifice ...

Then he brought about the points.
  • francis
    Kathy:

This is a perplexing question:

Kathy 4:54AM Thanks
    Francis, what is your point? Are you trying to announce that you are a schismatic? Are you encouraging others to be schismatics? Que pasa?

What in this thread connotes that I am trying to be schismatic? Please be specific.

In my mind, I am tending toward an orthodoxy that has been lost, and its theology is readily embraced in the EF.
  • Kathy
    Francis,

Every hero of the Protestant Reformation would also claim to be recovering a lost orthodoxy. I don't think you realize the danger of these reading materials.
  • francis
    Kathy:

I realize fully that the EF has not lost the theology that was suppressed in the NO, so I am not subscribing to a new religion, I am simply upholding that which Benedict gave back to us. I am just as Catholic as you!

So which part of this thread says that I am in schism?

It also occurs to me that you must think or believe that the priest who wrote this book is a schismatic. Is that true?
  • chonakchonak
    [revised to clarify context:]

The EP II which Andrew pointed out, and which clearly includes a prayer that the elements become the Body and Blood of Christ, is not a matter of MR3 or MR2. The Latin text of EP II has not changed.

When discussing the so-called "Ottaviani intervention", it is important to keep in mind that it was a critique of draft texts. Cdl. Ottaviani pronounced himself satisfied with Paul VI's actions to clarify weaknesses in the drafts. Alas, some of the authors of the study were not so amenable and eventually went into schism, including Fr. Michel Guerard des Lauriers, O.P., who got himself consecrated illicitly by Abp. Thuc.

James Likoudis' book The Pope, the Council, and the Mass is a necessary guide to these murky waters. Francis, if you haven't read it, I urge you to get a copy instanter. If you get it through that link, I'll even get a commission. :-)
    Thanked by 1melofluent
  • francis
    also, see comments in thread:

Old Mass vs. New Mass • Novus Ordo vs. 1962 • EF vs. OF
  • francis
    chonak

Thank you for bringing to light the Ottaviani Intervention. I believe I had heard about it, but I never read it before. It is interesting to note that Paul Kramer lifted some of the Ottaviani elements verbatum and put them in his book.

You can find the Cardinal's letter to Paul VI here: http://www.ewtn.com/library/curia/reformof.htm

In particular the part that Liam brings up is in both documents.
  • chonakchonak
    Francis, I'm not introducing it, really; you cited it above: isn't the reference to the "critical study" pointing to that? Cdl. Ottaviani didn't write it; he just put a cover letter on it. The authors were a group of theologians who were close to Abp. Lefebvre. [And - what? you haven't read it? Tut, tut; that's part of Basic Training for traddies! :-) ]

It makes some worthwhile points, but if I remember right, it has some exaggerations too.
  • francis
    chonak

You haven't read the entire text that I have posted from Fr. Kramer's book?! Go read it! Apparently he has lifted some of the text from Ottaviani. Yes, NOW I am aware of the content of the Ottaviani report and who wrote it, thanks to your post above.

Books such as the one you mention above (The Pope, The Council and The Mass) are exactly the kinds of materials that attempt to water down the truth about what has occurred, how the Mass has been altered, and THOSE are the dangerous materials that one should not read. I glimpsed its pages in google books. More important, I also researched the authors and publishing company.

Fr. Kramer is a well respected and well educated (degrees) priest in good standing, and clearly communicates the theological issues of our present circumstance in black and white. Furthermore, he understand the seriousness of Our Lady's warnings concerning what was about to befall us in 1960, hence why she requested that her message be released in that very year.

Kathy

Since you have insinuated that I am leaning toward being a schismatic (this goes against forum rules and I am shocked), I feel it is important to raise a defense and make absolutely clear my devotion to the One Holy Catholic and Apostolic Church. I also ask you to retract that statement publicly as it is a direct attack on my good reputation.

BACKGROUND

As I mentioned above, many people are unaware of what 'went down' during the introduction of the NO, me being one of them. I have only become aware of the correct theology of the Mass since the early nineties. This was due to my own independent investigations into reading saints works on the Mass, sacraments, sacramentals, encyclicals and devotions by authors such as Liguouri, Aquinas, De Montfort, Bellamarine, Emerich, Bonaventure, John of the Cross, and many others, the Baltimore Catechism, the teachings of Fulton Sheen and the English version of the Latin Vulgate. Other versions of the Bible (including the new catechism) can be ambiguous concerning the clear meaning of the scriptures, dogma and doctrine. At that time I also inherited an entire spiritual library from the priest who started the Blue Army in Baltimore when he died. All of these resources were pivotal in forming my clear understanding of the Faith.

It also must be understood that my family was involved in Masonry. So, I have no conspiracy theories about that subject, just experience and facts. Fr. Kramer (who wrote the book I have begun quoting in this thread) is also extremely knowledgeable on the subject, and is good friends with many cardinals in the vatican. He speaks about this subject which can be found on YouTube. I will not post it here, but you can find it under the title of: "Fr Paul Kramer on the Freemasonic Infiltration of the Church." From my experience, everything he states is quite accurate.

My investigations, studies, research and conclusions all have come to me on my own guided by the writings of the Saints and the Church (and always having a personal spiritual director (priest of the Catholic Church)) submersing myself in prayer. I never knew or became a member of any traditional organization, never attended the TLM or had any friends or associates who were traditional, but have through hundreds of hours and prayer and study come to realize and believe what the Church and the Saints of old have taught concerning Our Faith, and specifically the doctrine and dogma of the Mass. (Liguori is central to this understanding.)

So when I am shown things like the 'Ottaviani Report', it only confirms my thinking and stance, because others have (had) the same questions and reservations that I came upon by my own private study, praying and meditation.

It was only in 2005 that I seriously learned and experienced the intricacies of Gregorian Chant at the CMAA symposium (of which about 50 people attended in total), and JT was the one who insisted that I could easily learn the chant when I nonchalantly offered that the chant was 'not for me'. The chant of course, leads back to the pure theology of the Mass, and I finally made the connection between my long studies in theology and its resulting practice in the Mass through sacred music.

Sacred music cannot be our only focus; it only exists and is subservient to the doctrine and dogma of the Mass and the two cannot be separated. Sacred music is a result of theology and that is why we all continue to experience the wrenching dichotomy that pervades our profession. Lex orandi, lex credendi. We toss this Latin phrase around all the time, but how many of us truly understand its full meaning? This is why the novel approach to sacred music is a non sequitur in our efforts to create new sacred music and resources that do not flow from tradition. It is why hymnody is a serious theological problem within the mass; even 'traditional' hymnody as we understand it today. I was the greatest proponent of the 1940 for many years (and I can play many of the hymns in any key from memory). However, in recent years it has become obvious to me that hymnody is, in a sense, a most subtle and subversive form that has a stranglehold and displaces the authentic sacred music of the Roman rite. (read my book, 'What Should We Be Singing Now', available for free on my website, www.romancatholicsacredmusic.com)

Of course, when Benedict took the chair at just about the same time, the whole issue of the Mass was brought to the fore, and the 'liturgy wars' truly came into the spotlight, and of course culminated in (probably by far his most significant act) the publication of the Motu, Summorum Pontificam.

I studied and learned (in Latin) the old Mass when I was an altar boy back in the early 60's just before the NO was implemented. That probably was the the most significant and life altering experience that formed me to this day, even though it was very short and I was very young. This goes to show the impact and supernatural power of the authentic liturgy (Lex orandi, lex credendi)

I have watched all the changes from my particular perspective as a Catholic church musician (I began my career as a Catholic Church musician at the age of 8 as part of the Immaculate Conception Boys Choir in Ohio). I was involved in the folk era, (still have a killer Martin 12 string guitar) and then I went on to study organ and composition, although the attitude of my professors toward my sacred music compositions was heinous. I was naively amazed at the viscousness with which they hoped to discount and retire my efforts. They rejected me, and as a consequence, I rejected the notion of a college degree. Nevertheless, my devotion to my Faith brought me through the many struggles to maintain my goal in sacred music. In 1990 I retreated into a 'catacomb' of prayer and study and taught myself to compose imitating the masters of sacred music and immersed myself in the prayerful study of the faith for about seven years or more, and then continued that same attitude a little less intensely as I moved into taking on a corporate career.

Numerous times over my many years as a DoM, organist, choirmaster, composer of sacred music, in various positions an anti-Catholic contingent would rise up within the ranks of the parish that was determined to drive me out. This treatment, especially by clergy, was very troubling to me, and acted as a catalyst for me to try to understand what had gone wrong in the Church and how sacred music was under such oppression and mass confusion.

So this lands me here in the year 2014. The next few years will be monumental in the life of the Church and I pray that we all hold to the faith through it all.

Thanked by 2JulieColl CHGiffen
  • melofluentmelofluent
    A moving and heartfelt essay, francis, one that I, for one, appreciate having shared.
  • JulieCollJulieColl
    Having looked through his comments, I'm not convinced at all that Francis is a schismatic. To be a schismatic, one has to refuse submission to the Pope and the bishops of the Church. I would distinguish the term 'schism' from 'disobedience.' There might be times where one might have to disobey an unlawful command while still acknowledging the authority and jurisdiction of a superior, so disobedience and schism are two entirely different things.

If someone claims that Francis refuses to submit himself to the ruling authority of the Church, then by all means, let he/she make that case, but perhaps before they do so, they should also remember that Cardinals Alfredo Ottaviani and Josef Ratzinger, both Prefects of the CDF, uttered public criticisms of the New Mass which were quite harsh, and noone has ever publicly accused them of failing in their loyalty to the Church.

Another person who has been very critical of the New Mass---but never questioned its validity--- is Michael Davies, and, again, when he died, Card. Ratzinger called him "a loyal son of the Church (though perhaps misunderstood)."

Unless Francis is questioning the validity of the New Mass (which would be, of course, to go too far) I don't see how he is doing anything wrong.

That being said, let's look at another eminent member of the clergy whose loyalty to the Church no reasonable Catholic would question, and that is the distinguished liturgical scholar Dom Alcuin Reid.

Dom Alcuin Reid reviewed a book on the New Mass written by Fr. Anthony Cekada and published on New Liturgical Movement here

Fr. Cekada, it must be said, is a sedevacantist who is not shy at all about calling the New Mass invalid. Dom Alcuin Reid in his treatment of Fr. Cekada's book quickly makes it clear that he couldn't disagree more with Fr. Cekada's un-Catholic opinion regarding the Pope and the validity of the New Mass.

That being said, Dom Alcuin Reid, good Catholic scholar that he is, is also willing to recognize the valid criticisms of the New Mass that are in Fr. Cekada's book, and of those he has this to say:

Regardless, Father Cekada’s great service is to flag the big question that we have not widely, as yet, been prepared to face. Whilst it is certainly better to celebrate the modern liturgy in a traditional style using more accurate translations, that is not enough. For if the Missal of Paul VI is indeed in substantial discontinuity with the preceding liturgical and theological tradition, this is a serious flaw requiring correction. It is high time, then, that we not only recognise, but do something about the elephant in the liturgical living-room.

So, to pivot back to Francis and Fr. Paul Kramer, I think we can say this: Regardless of what may or not be Fr. Kramer's status in the Church, good Catholic scholarship certainly requires us to be willing to recognize what is true in his arguments; as Dom Alcuin Reid dealt with Fr. Cekada, so too should we be willing to deal with Fr. Kramer.

That's only reasonable and Catholic. All the Church requires us to affirm is that the New Mass is valid. Other than that, we should give others the same latitude the Church gives us and be mighty careful with the personal charges we make against the orthodoxy of others.
  • Kathy
    Kathy

Since you have insinuated that I am leaning toward being a schismatic (this goes against forum rules and I am shocked), I feel it is important to raise a defense and make absolutely clear my devotion to the One Holy Catholic and Apostolic Church. I also ask you to retract that statement publicly as it is a direct attack on my good reputation.

Whoa, Nellie. I did not insinuate that you are leaning toward being schismatic. I was asking you whether being schismatic was your intention, given not only this but with two current threads on the forum (the other is about the papacy) that employ exactly the same arguments as schismatics use every single day. Not only were you repeating these arguments, but you were repeating them without commentary, paragraph after paragraph.

Your love for the Church is famous, and I would hope you would never wish to be a Protestant. So I did want to warn you that that was an impression that you were giving.

In the history of the Church, schism generally happens on the right, folks. We're the kind of people that are likely to break away in moral outrage and disgust. So let's be careful not to discourage each other about the Church, our Mother.

• CharlesW
    Yes, and some of those "reading materials" have led many into schism. Those writings generally present one narrow side of the story.
  • francis
    Kathy:
    Your words:
    you are a schismatic? Are you encouraging others to be schismatics?
    This is highly offensive, deceptive and uncharitable. You are assuming something about me that is not true and have stated it in a public forum.
  • francis
    Kathy:

Concerning the thread about Two Popes, it is not my argument. It is simply being brought forward by highly regarded reporters in the Catholic media. I am simply asking what other people think. Again, you are assuming that I am believing something that is not true.

And even if we did have two popes, like others on that thread admitted could possibly be true, how does that put one in schism to discuss the possibility? Again you are jumping to conclusions and then forming a judgement about my personal beliefs. Totally wrong and inappropriate.
  • Kathy
    Francis,

Questions are not statements. I did not state this. I asked this.
  • francis
    1. Be Polite
    This is the most important guideline. We will not tolerate any abusive, insulting, hostile, or threatening posts about anything or anyone. We will quite swiftly delete any such post and ban the offending user. Using only all capital letters in your posts is considered extremely rude by every "netiquette" standard we've ever seen. It is akin to shouting at people.
    Write with future readers in mind.

6. Do Not Defame
    Members may not level insinuations of heresy, bad faith, or criminality against members; members should also avoid such inflammatory language against non-members.

Kathy:

You have directed remarks towards my personal beliefs. This is defaming. You made assumptions about me based on material presented. This redirected the focus from the content and QUESTIONED my beliefs. It does not matter whether you presented it in a question or a statement... they both level an insinuation and constitute personal affronts.

in·sin·u·a·tion
    noun \(ˌ)in-ˌsin-yə-ˈwā-shən, -yü-ˈā-\

: a usually bad or insulting remark that is said in an indirect way

: the act of saying something bad or insulting in an indirect way
    Thanked by 1Gavin
  • chonakchonak
    Come on, Francis: if your questioning is just questioning, why is Kathy's questioning not just questioning?

Thanked by 1Liam
  • Kathy
    Exactly. Francis, your headline insinuates that the Church committed suicide.
  • francis
    Whoa Nellie!

1. That is not my 'headline'. It is the title of the book which I wanted to debate.
    2. The headline is a direct quote from Pope Pius XII - "I am worried by the Blessed Virgin's messages to Lucy of Fatima. This persistence of Mary about the dangers which menace the Church is a divine warning against the suicide of altering the Faith, in her liturgy, her theology and her soul."
    Quoted in the book Pius XII Devant L'Histoire, pp. 52-53 (by Msgr. Georges Roche)

• matthewjmatthewj
    When I read the title of this thread I decided never to open it... someone sent me a link to one of the comments over social media and I clicked it... Now I know my initial instinct was a good one.
    Thanked by 2BruceL MarkThompson
  • francis
    matthewj

The title of this thread is the title of a book and the words of Pius XII.

TRUE OBEDIENCE
    According to the great theologian, St. Thomas Aquinas, true obedience is a balance between twin errors of defect and excess, which are disobedience and false obedience (IIaIIae, Q104,5 ad 3). Today this second error is common among Catholics who, when they follow orders to depart from Tradition, think they are being obedient." Catholic Appologetics Website
  • francis
    Here is the quote from the Pope Pius XII biography.

I can direct you to the actual French text if you would like.

"Suppose, dear friend, that Communism is the most visible among the organs of subversion against the Church and the tradition of Divine Revelation. Thus, we will witness the invasion of everything that is spiritual: philosophy, science, law, teaching, the arts, the media, literature, theater, and religion.

I am concerned about the confidences of the Virgin to the little Lucia of Fatima. The persistence of the Good Lady in face of the danger that threatens the Church is a divine warning against the suicide that the modification of the Faith, liturgy, theology, and soul of the Church would represent.

I hear around me partisans of novelties who want to demolish the Holy Sanctuary, destroy the universal flame of the Church, reject her adornments, and make her remorseful for her historical past. Well, my dear friend, I am convinced that the Church of Peter must affirm her past, or else she will dig her own tomb.

I will fight this battle with the greatest energy both inside and outside the Church, even if the forces of evil may one day take advantage of my person, actions, or writings, as they try today to deform the History of the Church."

(Georges Roche & Philippe Saint Germain, Pie XII devant l'Histoire, Paris: Robert Lafont, 1972, p. 52-53).
  • francis
    If it would please the forum, we can change the title to

Book Review: The Suicide of Altering the Faith in the Liturgy
    Thanked by 1eft94530
  • Kathy
    Francis,

You are applying Pope Pius' expressions to the post-Vatican II reforms--which he never lived to see.

I understand your frustration and I sympathize. I have personally not only recommended Dr. Lauren Pristas' work on the subject of the liturgical revisions but am mentioned in the acknowledgements of her book The Collects of the Roman Missal for giving (a very small amount of) help in its composition. I'm pro-ROTR, as are you.

But I am also very well aware of the kind of excesses that lead to schism, and would very much like to avoid that heartbreak.
  • francis
    Kathy:

I am applying nothing. I am simply bringing to light a book which I recently discovered and read, and also bringing to light that the title of this book was a quote by one of our Popes. The Pope had a sense, a deep one, a concerned one: he didn't know what was about to occur in the Council of VII. As we are all fully aware, it was not the Council that was in error, it was the results and implementation that went askew. That is the subject of this book.

By the grace of God and the patrocinium of the Blessed Virgin Mary, I am committed to the Faith to my death, so help me God. Let us keep to the subject at hand, as this is a historical analysis concerning things written and discussed by high authorities in the church. I was unaware of the Ottaviani Report until chonak mentioned it above. It is all part of the same issue.

Please keep ME out of the equation and remarks directed toward my person. I am simply the messenger and initiator of the subject and this thread.
  • I think it is a good idea to clarify the title, Francis.
    It matters who said that line, and in what context.

There can be no doubt about the identity crisis in the Church during our times.

We are now at a point where intelligent, studied Catholics of good will have holes in their knowledge of their faith, of differences in Catholic life and teaching emphases before and after the council. Some holes we know, and fill in as best we can, others we discover daily...

Sometimes it feels like, "will the real Church please stand up?!?" It's exasperating.

Considering the confusion we have all painfully squeezed through as church musicians, in the area of sacred music alone, I advise extra patience and charity toward forum members. Remember the days when you didn't know what a Graduale Romanum was, thought that the Offertory chant was a thing of the past, etc.? Pretty sure we've all been there to some extent.

Explaining things and asking questions with charity and patience is most necessary. Especially when it comes to topics of loyalty to Christ's Church, on an Internet forum no less. We need to tread carefully, friends.

As a singing mum, who is in teaching/preaching mode all too often, I'm saying all this to myself as much or more so, too! Said with a :)
    Thanked by 2francis CHGiffen
  • chonakchonak
    To be fair, it's a jump to go from (1) the observation that schismatics make certain arguments to (2) the suggestion that these arguments are inherently schismatic.
    Thanked by 1francis
  • francis
    MCW:

I entirely agree with everything you have said. I just feel we should never question anyone's faith on the forum... this is explicitly stated in our guidelines, and we should be extra careful on this point. This has happened to me before a few times on this forum and chonak has corrected it in the past. Thank you, Richard. We must all be on our guard and keep the focus to the content and not be questioning one another in their devotion to the Faith.

• Kathy
    It wasn't a suggestion. It was a question (and I still don't know the answer, actually).
  • chonakchonak
    I am concerned to see that the book includes a section on the "doubtful validity" of the modern Roman rite. I haven't read the section, but if it denies or pertinaciously doubts the validity of the Mass celebrated according to the Missale Romanum approved by the Holy See, that could be a grave doctrinal error contrary to the Church's indefectibility.
    Thanked by 3JulieColl Liam BruceL
  • melofluentmelofluent
    I do not have a dog in this hunt, francis, Kathy and Richard.
    However, I just ran into this browsing, and it might have some bearing here in this thread as it's proceeding now.

http://liturgicalnotes.blogspot.com/2014/06/another-argumentum-ad-hominem.html
  • francis
    chonak

Which section concerns doubtful validity?

UPDATE

ahhh... I found it. Appendix II. Reading now.
  • francis
    melo:

I read your link, but am not quite getting the full point of what you are trying to say. Can you clarify?
  • Kathy
    Which section concerns doubtful validity?
    Good. This looks like a fruitful, textual method of proceeding. Carry on.
  • Kathy
    melo:

I read your link, but am not quite getting the full point of what you are trying to say. Can you clarify?
    He's telling me and Chonak to back off, I think. And Mary Ann is telling me to dial it down a notch. I will, but rather watchfully.
  • chonakchonak
    Francis, read the table of contents. One of the appendixes is about the "doubtful validity".
  • melofluentmelofluent
    He's telling me and Chonak to back off, I think. And Mary Ann is telling me to dial it down a notch. I will, but rather watchfully.

Not at all, Kathy. By all means, carry on as this is quite fascinating and instructive speaking for myself. I just appreciate how Fr. H is sometimes able to zero in on how we nuance argument just so precisely to abet our point, and sometimes trip ourselves up in the process without realizing it.
    I do think, in this particular wrestling match, that you and francis are in a clinch over the "question" v. "statement" quandry, and maybe RC could say, "Break," and the bout can continue without digressing to whether a foul's been committed. I'm totally Switzerland here! ;-)
  • francis
    Yes. I got it. I just read it... and ... WOW... Fr. Kramer wrote this book in 2006(?), and the vatican changed it back to "for the many" as we now have it in the MR3. Now the question arises in my mind, were all the Masses said using the previous words of consecration invalid???? Holy C***! If so, how many years would that have encompassed? And, did other nations (languages) have the same erroneous formula in their translations, or was the error only in the English?
  • I guess I kinda was, but just as much reminding friends to be patient and clear with how they present information. Because we've all grappled with handling challenging info regarding "what went wrong with the Church". How to sift it all???

My personal equation is- more confusion necessitates more charity. And I'm short on charity so I notice this. :)

Love covers a multitude of forum conversations. That's something we all can agree upon.

[Chonak, my apologies if I'm leaning towards wannabe moderator. That's not my intent, and I'm guarding against it since no one asked me, and between lack of knowledge and lack of time I wouldn't be good at it anyway.]
    Thanked by 2francis Kathy
  • francis
    STATEMENT

Yall, this is a very difficult subject, in fact, THE most difficult and the most CENTRAL to our Faith. The theology is troubling to me, as it was to many theologians and popes. And you can see by this discussion that it is difficult to keep focused without going askew into accusations left and right. MCW is right. We must keep each other in our prayers and be charitable in our discourse. Forgive me if I have offended you in any way.

Kathy, I totally understand your concern. I will dismiss anything that insinuates that I am a schismatic and put our squabble to rest.

I am after the truth while at the same time keeping my feet firmly inside the Church. I assume the same toward you.

fk
    Thanked by 1Kathy
  • PaixGioiaAmorPaixGioiaAmor
    Dangerous, DANGEROUS, ground here. Skirting the edge of schism. Not stepping across the boundary, but walking right up to the edge of it, with the toes of one's foot nearly touching the boundary line.

I'd turn around and start walking back, but that's just me.
    Thanked by 1Jeffrey Quick
  • Kathy
    were all the Masses said using the previous words of consecration invalid????
    Thanked by 2Liam Andrew Motyka
  • Kathy
    STATEMENT

Yall, this is a very difficult subject, in fact, THE most difficult and the most CENTRAL to our Faith. The theology is troubling to me, as it was to many theologians and popes. And you can see by this discussion that it is difficult to keep focused without going askew into accusations left and right.

Kathy, I totally understand your concern. I will dismiss anything that insinuates that I am a schismatic and put our squable to rest.

I am after the truth while at the same time keeping my feet firmly inside the Church. I assume the same toward you.

fk

Thank you for this reassurance, Francis. I mean no harm--in fact, I only spoke up for what I believe to be your good and that of others.
  • Kathy
    Charles, I appreciate your attentiveness to the tone of the discussion. Sometimes I feel that our differences of opinion mostly arise when you are discussing the tone, and I am discussing the content. Here, what I'm (still, actually) worried about is the content of the book that Francis has been reading.
    Thanked by 1melofluent
  • francis
    Kathy:

Did you read Appendix II? And then the Vatican changed it back in the MR3? Is that an admittance to the point Fr. Kramer brought forward?
  • JulieCollJulieColl
    Kathy, as an aside, thanks so much for mentioning Dr. Pristas' book. I had not heard of it before, but it looks very impressive. I've read excerpts of Fr. Cekada's fascinating book on the same subject, and of course, for years used to follow Fr. Z's column (What Does the Prayer Really Say?) in The Wanderer where he would compare the ICEL translations of the OF prayers with the original texts.

Re: potential schism, it's been my experience with people who leave the Church (on both the right and left) that intellectual reasons are rarely the cause. From what I've seen, the real cause is either a growing friction between one's moral praxis and Church teaching, or hurt from a personal bad experience with someone in the Church, or emotional attachment or sympathy to a group outside the Church, or simply for reasons of convenience alone.

The intellectual justification, from what I've seen, comes after the decision to leave the Church's juridical boundaries has been made for another reason and, in most cases, is hastily thrown together and full of holes.

I think the moral of the story is always to be kind, sympathetic and understanding with anyone who's looking outside the box of pat answers and conventional definitions because alienating them emotionally could drive them to seek sympathy elsewhere, and cheap intellectual rationale can be found in abundance to justify their leaving.

Remember the old line: "I didn't leave the Church; the Church left me"? That primitive saying satisfied a lot of people who stopped going to Church because of liturgical abuses, the pedophile scandal, etc., but it goes to show how leaving the Church is far more of an emotional process than an intellectual one and the lack of understanding and welcome we show others might have much more impact than we realize.