the Amazing Roland C-30
  • Jeffrey TuckerJeffrey Tucker
    Isn't this rather astonishing?

Organ

harpischord

Celesta

All with various tuning options and the touch of the actual thing, with no tuning problems.
  • CharlesW
    Roland makes some good stuff. I have one of their Rodgers church organs in my home. It makes a great practice instrument.
  • "Do you see, mother, I make all things new.?"
    JT's advert calls into question the very nature, the physics of sound.
    All the hubbub about the pipe organ versus ______ to support worship still is rationalized by an understandable, but intellectually false syllogism defending the faux biology of the pipe driven organ, if one cannot fully embrace the absolutist premise of the human voice united with intellect and revealed texts as the sole and truly worthy "instrument" of worship. You cannot have that cake and want the other frosted cake to eat as well and keep one's intellectual integrity. (This is not about tambourines and bongoes.)
    A pipe organ is voiced to be remniscent sound of mostly orchestral instruments. Sure, it uses wind. But the final upshot is that the wind is manipulated not only to disturb and resonate at a certain frequency, but to also do so with a semblance of authenticity to historical and modern instruments, ie. flotes, diapasons, hautbois, gemshorn, et al.
    That the delivery system of those affects are designed ingeniously to accompany a certain space has provided us all a genetic memory of its "presumed" authenticity. And it is wonderful in our ears and souls.
    Our genetic memory is to be treasured and furthered if we have the means.
    But, don't discount the reality that the mechanism of the pipe organ is prima facie superior to any other source of sound on the planet. If you wish to qualify that physical reality with the tons of traditional testimony to the heritage of the pipe organ, not least of those the oft-cited RC document testimonies, do so with utmost confidence.
    Sound is disturbed air vibrating at certain frequencies with quantifiable physical attributes that we've labeled "timbre" and so forth; Wave forms at their stark nakedness.
    I adhere to and prefer the Church's declaration of the primacy of the organ as suitable for worship. That is out of discipline and personal taste.
    But if the Rodgers, or Roland, or Ahlborn is what is afforded us to assist the voices raised, then "amen."
    Not everyone has 1M plus in reserve to gift a parish/cathedral with a modest instrument at that level. I thank God that Rudy DV was afforded such providence upstate.
    But every DM has to concede that an organ, in and of itself, does not intrinsically further the "vox populi's" sung voice.
    There will always remain a number of other variables in the equation.
    Thanked by 1[Deleted User]
  • Jeffrey Quick
    I've got the C-180 portable organ (replaced by the C-190) and am very happy, though mostly these days I'm using it as a controller for Hauptwerk samples.
    I'm most impressed by the touch, which seems to replicate the harpsichord beautifully. I'm excited too about the fortepiano and the celesta. Amazing stuff.
  • The C-30 is popular with busy harpsichordists who like the fact that they can carry it in their car and pop in for rehearsals, saving wear and tear on their acoustical instruments....sometimes even playing the concerts with the C-30.
    I hear that serious chamber groups and small orchestras are buying them too -- which accounts for why you can hardly find one in our shores -- and the reason is that the sound and feel is identical but the sound is more reliable, and without the unending tuning headaches. The purist of the pure are giving in too. The machine is a treasure.
  • I can help people find them, if they need help....the distribution is through some Rodgers Organ representatives, in other areas, Roland dealers have access to them...
    I'm being quoted $4- from CA.
  • The pricing on these is....interesting. Roland sets a Retail Price, and a Lowest Permitted Advertised Price.

They are available through Rodgers dealers, who are used to providing training and support....but also through some music stores that carry Roland, who will discount anything, including close relatives....especially in-laws...to get a sale.

After checking a bit, street price seems to about 4, which is what the last one sold for that I saw.
  • I miss my harpsichord! The action! It was just too much work
    So this has me really hooked.
    I've been using roland samples for clavichord and harpsichord which are far far superior to what is found on church organs or espiciallly thos midi add-ob boxes.- but I still never had the action since i had my Flemish.
    There are so many stops that could be sampled -
    like the Peau de Buffle- or just a simple Buff, or nazard: there is a lot of potential here.
  • BenBen
    Wow! This thing is amazing! With the organ, you would never guess that it was coming from something like that (if you weren't looking, that is).
  • I wish I had a Roland C-30 ... maybe some day.

I've always thought that the Roland C-280 would be perfect for my little church, but I can't find one anywhere now.

organ demo
    chimes and organ demo
    overview
  • francis
    Will someone donate this one to our church?

http://www.organclearinghouse.com/instr/detail.php?instr=2072
  • What is a good price for the C-30?

Three years ago, I was priced quoted $3995 which includes a bench.

Now, I'm being price quoted $4470 with no bench being mentioned.

And this is from the same local dealer.
  • Ted
    If you want the harpsichord voices then it seems like a good instrument, although pricey. If for the organ, it is not recommended. An older Rodgers 525 with 2 manuals, full 32 note AGO pedal board, and 26 digitised voices sells for around $4,000, including bench, and has MIDI.
    Thanked by 1Jeffrey Coggins
  • Right, it'd be for the harpsichord voices, but the organ voices are a bonus.

Is $4k a good deal for the C-30 from a local dealer? I don't want to rip anyone off, but I can't afford to spend $6k either.
  • Retail price is $4,995.

Roland has shut down the online wholesalers so they can stop selling it so cheap that local cannot make a profit, making it more likely now that local dealers will actually stock them so you can play them and buy them.

It may surprise people that a piano/organ stock with inventory for you to try out makes a profit of about 6% on the average sale after all the expenses have been deducted. So when an online wholesaler sells something at 10%, knowing that they don't have to spend a penny until you order it, at which time they take your money and order it to be shipped to them and then to you, so making $200-300 on that sale is like found money.

The piano/organ store that has the instrument for you to try out has either paid for it or, worse yet and this is often the case, had to finance it so each month they are paying interest on it while still owing the full purchase amount. If it sits there of X months, it can eat up all the profit that they would have made. An harpsichords do not sell like pianos...

$4,000 is a great price, grab it before they raise it!

The bench costs more. I have a C-30 here for a development project, the bench is still in the box out in the barn, I use a straight-backed chair, more comfortable.

I do recommend the damper pedal (for the forte piano) but even more for playing the harpsichords....you can move from one registration to another back and forth...and the same with the organ stops. So it makes it very handy.

As far as the 525, it's a nice organ. However, the C-30 Rohrflóete and Principals 8' & 4', the two organ settings that can played on their own or combined, are much better sounding than the stops on the 525 due to advances in technology.

It is possible to add a used AGO pedalboard with a MIDI interface, have it fitted with a keyboard stand for the C-30 (or any digital keyboard you might have) and have a very affordable practice instrument at home. It's in my plans, especially because the C-30 fits in my VW Bug and I have been touring with it.

I am developing a package that includes all the music you need to play weddings, funerals...to go with the C-30, that includes parts for 1, 2, 3 or 4 players so owners of the C-30 (or Roland C-200, 230) can go to wedding planners, funeral directors, event planners and book themselves and whatever ensemble they want [we'd like a flute, please, and next week, how about a string quartet?] so that you become the booking agent for your own group of itinerant musicians...and being the keyboard player you are always booked, adding them as needed]

You know, when I bought that 20 oz coffee in Chattanooga this afternoon, I should have gotten decaf...

This instrument could be perfect for a TLM group meeting in tambourine country, as would be the c-200 or 230.

Anyone interested in these instruments, let me know and I can head you towards a reputable dealer....noel@frogmusic.com

Thanked by 1Jeffrey Coggins
  • One could dangerously skirt being converted by Charles' clever and admirable apologia. As for the price, which seems to be an attraction to some, what has that got to do with it? If I can't afford an organ, then I don't have one and sing music that doesn't need one. Yes, some of them may fool the elect with their organ-like timbres, but, they are still fakes which, as they say, 'sound like real organs'. Calling them organs doesn't make them organs, though doing so is music to the ears of their creators. Probably (knowing human ingenuity and determination), we will see the day on which there is no demonstrable, empirical, difference at all between the sound of an organ and one of these would-be organs. But the nagging question will remain: is a thing what it is, or, what it sounds (or looks, or feels) like unto.

Is a tuned buzzer which may come to duplicate perfectly the sound of a finely crafted pipe then a pipe? Is a set of these technologically admirable buzzers an organ? Not for me!
  • Well, I don't call them pipe organs.

I call them digital-organs.

Since I can afford a digital-organ, then I can have one and sing/play music that does need one.
  • MJO

You are absolutely right. Every church that does not have a real pipe organ should drag these poor substitutes out in the square and burn them.

Of course, the monks who hand-lettered manuscripts felt the same way about books and you can see the ruination that having books available that are affordable to everyone has brought to society. Fahrenheit 451

Is Gutenburg on your list, too?

There are just as many bad pipe organs in the US as there are bad digitals, it is sad that people with closed minds are responsible for so many of these bad pipe installations.

A well-known organist, still quite active, angered by a letter that the briliant Lawrence Phelps had written, wrote the Diapason magazine years ago that there was no need for electronic organs. He has a pipe organ in his apartment in NYC that will perform the entire literature authentically.

Two months later the magazine was kind enough to print the stoplist of this 2 rank organ...about 120 pipes....
  • CharlesW
    I call my Rodgers a good alternative to getting in the car, driving to the church, trying to schedule practice around other events, and practicing in a cold building. Does it sound like the Schantz at church? Of course not. It's a practice instrument. Why would I care if it doesn't?
  • Some of us don't have the luxury to even use a Rodgers organ.

We're forced to use this, this, or this for church.

Give me a "fake pipe organ" anyday.
  • CharlesW
    Gosh! I haven't seen or even heard of Lowrey in years. They still make those?
  • Apparently so ... apparently so ...

In fact, the previous "music director" didn't like the Rodgers organ they had, so he replaced it with the Lowrey!

A Rodgers ... replaced by a Lowrey. I can't even comprehend it.
    Thanked by 1Jeffrey Quick
  • Jackson, we are in agreement on every genuine aspect you advance, save for my intent was not meant to be clever nor seductive.
    My appreciation of the physics of sound simply differs from yours. Tho' we labor in appreciably different vineyards doesn't affect those differences. And if we in CenCA could have afforded a new pipe installation, do you think I would have lobbied against that?
    That answer would be just as unlikely as foregoing literature to be sung as our three manual digi Rodgers could accompany.
    I feel blessed as our current pastor made that Rodgers a priority, after our late pastor personally nixed it after much fund raising, simply offering that the piano was the most suitable accompanimental instrument at worship. This was our reality.
  • I knew that I would be blistered, if not pilloried, for my observations. After all, one cannot alter the practical realities with which we all live; nor the charm which alternative solutions offer. I know, even, that quite a few quite good organists (who don't hear a respectable organ every day) get used to the sound of their 'organs' and become lulled into accepting the artificial sound as as pleasing as the real. I certainly meant no denigrance of those who make the adaptations they feel they need to make: but, I will continue to assert that objective reality will not allow us to be fuddled by technological wizardry, no matter how fascinating it may be to our 21st century minds. (Too, Noel, I don't think your Gutenburg vs. scribe comparison is apt... I would suggest something more like a scented plastic flower versus a flower.) After all, a thing IS what it IS and a thing that is not what that thing IS is not that thing. I have no doubt that Fr Aquinas could weigh in here and make it crystal clear when a thing is what it is and when it is not what is labelled. This whole topic, after all, is a debate of objective reality and intellectual honesty. Thus, whatever the various rationales for sinning against objective reality and intellectual honesty are, they cannot make a truth out of an unquestionable ontological farce.

• You remain, and always have been, my semantical superior, Jackson, and I love you for that, my brother. No cat-o-nine-tails from this quarter, MJO. It is interesting for you to acknowledge that "charm" is a factor in these deliberations. I would advance that our disparate perspectives of that charm factor little towards the corporate advantage of our souls, particularly when in engaged in lifting our VOICES to the praise of the Creator of the Logos. "Ontological farce," along with all of our words and bickering, yet and still remain human faire, not revealed truth. Thank God, or we'd have to really deal with Ps.150.
  • Amen and Amen, Charles!
    Let us bless the Lord, and praise his Name together....
    from ages unto ages. Amen.

(without [tee-hee] ontological farce
    or intellectual dishonesty!)
  • hartleymartin
    In small churches a modest instrument of 3-5 ranks of pipes is often sufficient.

My college's chapel organ as a Stopped Diapason 8', Keraulophon 8' and Open Diapason 4', with a 56-note manual and 20 hitch-down pedals. You make do with a small instrument.

Even reasonably large churches do well with a 2-manual instrument of somewhere between 14 and 17 ranks of pipes. With modern direct electric action and judicious use of unification and borrowing quite excellent instruments can be made at reasonable cost.
  • Of course a digital harpsichord/organ is not the same instrument! And I applaud MJO for his stance. I would assume that his stance also means that he disapproves of performances of Bach's St Matthew if substitutes are made for the violone, recorders, oboe da caccia, etc. Also the use of women in this music is equally deplorable. Bach wrote for boys. If you don't have boys who can sing it, then don't do Bach.
    Thanked by 1CharlesW
  • CharlesW
    Hey, if some insist on being purists, they shouldn't do it half-a***d. Down with Bach!
    Thanked by 1Adam Wood
  • It is so short-sighted for people to make statements that a digital instrument is not a real instrument.

An instrument should only be judged by its sound, never what it is made of.

People accept second-rate instruments every day because they listen with their eyes and their pocketbooks.

WIKI: The term elitism is also sometimes used to denote situations in which a group of people claiming to possess high abilities or simply an in-group or cadre grant themselves extra privileges at the expense of others. This form of elitism may be described as discrimination.

I will always treasure Erik Routley's words on the subject.
  • One thing I've noticed is how you can use a connected sustain pedal to switch between two sets of sounds.

So, for harpsichord literature which is played with two manuals, does this alleviate the need for a second manual?
  • Yes, it is possible to play the literature that calls for alternating manuals that way. You select the two stop settings and can bounce back and forth.

I enjoy doing the Playing the Invisible Notes workshops on it since there are a Flemish and a French harpsichord in it - making it possible to open people's ears to the sound of the instrument. Once they hear that the harpsichord has different tone qualities as well as different pitches to call on, it stops being an oddity in their minds, it appears.

In the workshop we emphasize that Roland is not building harpsichords and organs (with Rodgers) to replace acoustic harpsichords and pipe organs, but to create interest in them - making these instruments affordable and available so that people can study and gain interest into going on to master the instruments which may mean playing on digital or acoustic instruments possibly even to make a living.

Without going into depth, it is freaky that the touch lets you play and fell the attack of all three strings sounding one after the other when playing the 8',8'4'.

And playing and acoustic one after playing these feels very normal - preparing for a recital on a piano and trying to take that work to the acoustic harpsichord is like trying to water ski having practiced on snow skis.
  • Did you have a Hauptwerk experiment going with the C-30?
  • Yes, works very nicely - was concentrating at first on using the HW harpsichords and was testing them - one of them was very nice and made a nice contrast to the C-30 two instruments but the owner had not maintained the product site and I was unable to load it fully. The others were a bit primitive in sound comparison to the HW and C-30. I then loaded a HW chamber organ and it was a hoot! Very nice sampling and the tracker touch resistance made it especially nice to play with the C-30 organ stops and by itself. For the average HW person the C-30 is a bit pricey as a slave control keyboard, but using it as an instrument and adding HW is very nice.

By the way, the C-30 fits into my VW Bug and now the MINI Cooper as well.
    Thanked by 1JulieColl
  • CHGiffenCHGiffen
    By the way, the C-30 fits into my VW Bug and now the MINI Cooper as well.
    Frogman, I recall that the Taylor & Boody portative organ fit very nicely into my minivan when I took it to Blacksburg, VA for a performance of the Monteverdi Vespro della Beata Vergine, (1610), when I sang the work with Zephyrus several years ago. Of course, it did take two of us to put it in and take it out of the minivan ... but, O, what an instrument!
  • They are very fine builders! Building the small instruments must be very fulfilling for them since they are so useful.
    Thanked by 1bejoythomas
  • Roland C-30 presentation I created while working on Playing the Invisible Notes, which traces the influence harpsichord techniques bring to the piano and organ.
  • melofluentmelofluent
    I'd love to experience your gear as amplified through a less local and narrow sound window of your keyboard amp, and perhaps recorded more globally perhaps mid-congregational singing from the middle of church. If you were using (on the Handel) a choir "stop" I'd lose that and keep the string pad if you desire, just so there's less aural info to process. Nice job.
  • Scott_WScott_W
    I'll make a deal with the world: scrap every Dan Schutte/Haugen/Haas, etc hymn out there and you won't hear a peep of complaint about cheesy synthesizers from me.
  • http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ewq9THM2238

This video was made initially in Germany, I believe, but the sound on the recording was not satisfactory and it was completely redone in California. Often modern video recorders can fail to adequately produce sound as well as they do video.
  • mjballoumjballou
    As I'm increasingly working in early music, I'm interested in the Roland C-30. I'd be grateful if those who in fact have used one would give me a "yay or nay" on the instrument. I have no personal axes to grind with digital instruments having been very happy at one time with a Roland weighted-keyboard digital piano.

Thanks in advance. I've been away from the forum, finishing a degree and laboring on other projects. I'll dip my oar back in with this inquiry.
  • noel jones, aagonoel jones, aago

Will fit in VW Bug...and MINI Cooper without passenger.
  • mjballoumjballou
    Thanks for getting back and the nice demo. I've hankered after a harpsichord for years, but with a pile of harps, a hammered dulcimer, and a salterio, the last thing I needed is another instrument to tune. Definitely considering this.
  • ghmus7
    As someone who rebuilds and repairs harpsichords, I don't understand
    Why these instruments are used. A genuine Italian harpsichord weighs about
    35 pound and fits in most small cars, and costs less that this digital thing.
    My 0.2
    Here is am instrument I restored recently:

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=9HOA0BKibL8
  • francis
    very nice, ghmus.
  • hartleymartin
    A C-30 with a midi pedal board would be a handy installation in many smaller churches. Better than an electric "stage piano" with a tinny organ sound