the Amazing Roland C-30
  • JulieCollJulieColl
    The info on the C-300 is very helpful and timely. We are currently investigating the possibility of replacing our Yamaha synthesizer/workstation with something better. We were thinking of plugging in a Hauptwerk organ program to upgrade the sound, but the thought of juggling a keyboard, amp and laptop during Mass in our very small quarters in the back of our chapel was giving me fits. : {
  • JulieCollJulieColl
    P.S. to the note above. We called a Roland representative to get an idea how much money the Roland portable organ keyboard might run and the rep left a message. He didn't give us a figure but did say the Roland C-200 organ is very popular and has just been installed in the Sistine Chapel.
  • Adam WoodAdam Wood
    a Roland organ has just been installed in the Sistine Chapel.

Why?
  • JulieCollJulieColl
    That's what he said on the message. Go figure that out if you can.

P.S. I just googled "organ in Sistine Chapel" and came up with this article about a new Swiss-made organ (Mathis Orgelbau) being installed on 14 December 2002 so I really don't know what that fellow was talking about.

• BenBen
    Yeah, I'd fact check that Roland rep. Besides from this article just posted, the organ was very visible during the conclave coverage.
  • Adam WoodAdam Wood
    Maybe he meant at a Sistine chapel replica. Perhaps EPCOT or Las Vegas?
  • Adam WoodAdam Wood
    BTW

Does anyone else ever get the sense that there is a deliberate effort made to make sure that lower-cost and portable options are designed in such way as to make them seem obviously less useful to serious organists, even though there is no "real" reason this would need to be the case?
    (Non-standard keyboard placement, non-AGO pedalboards, etc.)

CF:
    http://www.roland.com/organ/atelier.html
    http://www.roland.com/organ/combo.html
  • JulieCollJulieColl
    (FYI, I did fact check with the rep and he confirmed again that the Vatican recently installed a Roland C-200 in the Sistine Chapel. Maybe they wanted a portable organ as well as the stationary one?)
  • irishtenoririshtenor
    A little off the topic, but I'm really finding myself in need of a home practice instrument. Would a C-200 with 25-note pedalboard make sense for this?

Is there a way that people have found to do it more economically?

I just never go to church to practice, when I AM there, something always comes up, and I wind up with 20 minutes to practice, which is obviously not enough!
  • melofluentmelofluent
    Maybe he meant at a Sistine chapel replica. Perhaps EPCOT or Las Vegas?

I always wondered what they did with the space that used to house Siegfried and Roy at Caesar's Palace.
  • Earl_GreyEarl_Grey
    To echo Irish Tenor, I'd love a home practice instrument as well. Why is it that a decent digital piano with weighted keys can be procured for around $1000 but classical electric organs (with full pedal board) start at $30,000? I wish they could at least put a decent organ flute sound on a budget keyboard which could at least be used for vocal/choral accompaniment rehearsals as well as manual technique--still doesn't address the pedal issue though.
  • JulieCollJulieColl
    I share your frustration over the limitations of keyboards. It's impossible to find anything under $2000 that has a decent organ sound. We have spent hours trolling through music stores sampling keyboards but it's always the same predictable range of corny organ sounds, no matter what brand you try.

We're very interested in the Hauptwerk organ programs which offer a huge variety of beautiful organ stops which can be downloaded to a MIDI keyboard so you can program the drawbars with a pretty decent range of options, but it's complicated and cumbersome to say the least.

My son set up our Yamaha workstation with a trial version of the most basic Hauptwerk program and we were thrilled with the effect, but it would be almost impossible to transport, reconstruct and operate on a regular basis.
  • irishtenoririshtenor
    I feel like I would even be satisfied with the (admittedly less than satisfactory) organ sound on my Kawai digital piano, provided I could somehow hook up a pedal board to it.

I'm definitely getting better (recently certified!), but with my background in voice and piano, it's really my pedaling that needs the work.
  • hartleymartin
    Two out of my last three organs had 25-note flat radiating pedalboards. There are limitations, but they are useful for helping to keep your feet co-ordinated. If anything, the AGO/BDO style concave radiating pedalboard is easier to play.

If you are stuck with the choice between no pedalboard and the 25-note variety, get the 25-note pedalboard. You can get old 30 or 32-note pedalboards and midify them, but I think the Roland PK-25 is designed to be a bit more portable than those.

Then there is always this new company which produces kits for pedalboards:

http://www.pedamidikit.org
  • CharlesW
    I bought my home Rodgers 20 or so years ago, so I am sure they do cost more now. But don't Allen, Rodgers, and Johannus all make home models for well under the $30,000. mentioned above? How much organ do you need for a home practice instrument?
  • hartleymartin
    The cheapest I've ever seen a new electric organ was $18,000. Still more than what I can afford, and considering that a half-decent electric piano/keyboard is easily under $2,000, you can see why most churches think it's better to buy the keyboard, because they don't have anyone who can play the organ anyway.

What we really need is something like the Roland C230, but which is also designed to be easily expanded into a two-manual+pedal instrument by hooking up a 61-note midi keyboard and a midi pedalboard.
  • CharlesW
    I think Rodgers and Allen both have models less than that. I have heard about quality problems with Johannus. I have no personal experience with that brand, but that's what I have heard. You need to talk to Noel. He knows this business inside out. Have you considered a slightly used instrument?

I will mention that I worked for a church that had an Ahlborn-Galanti. It seemed to need more repairs than I thought a fairly new instrument should need.
  • Earl_GreyEarl_Grey
    I wasn't looking at an actual price sheet. But when I asked an Allen rep for a rough estimate for a small, 2-manual with AGO pedal board for a practice instrument he quoted around $30K off the top of his head. Perhaps they do have some in the $20K range but that's still beyond what I can afford. He suggested finding a used instrument to be more budget friendly. Still...the only organs that pop up for cheap tend to be the parlor type (Lowrey, et al).
  • CharlesW
    Talk to Noel, the frogmusic guy. I think you can beat that price, considerably.
  • It has always been a mystery to me why some digital organ company has not marketed a practical, inexpensive home practice instrument. I envision this instrument as having two manuals (some works like trio sonatas just can't be practiced adequately with only one manual) with limited stops (maybe just an 8' and 4') and pedal board. There should also be an option to play the instrument silently (for the benefit of apartment dwellers with neighbors). It needn't be a fancy piece of furniture, just have standard keyboard dimensions and be within everyone's budget.

Back in my student days it was common for pianists to have silent keyboards. They were relatively inexpensive and immensely useful. Organists deserve the same.

Thanked by 2JulieColl Earl_Grey
  • CharlesW
    My Rodgers has a stop tab to turn the speakers on and off. That feature already exists. There is also a headphone jack that will silence the speakers.
  • Adam WoodAdam Wood
    There is no reason a two-manual + pedalboard decent organ synth (for practice use) couldn't be made and sold for $2-5K. I've looked into parts and manufacturing costs.

Someone who knows more about organ design and the market for it needs to start a Kickstarter.
  • For years, I have dreamed of something like two or more Keystations put together along with a MIDI pedalboard. This would work for those of us that own the software (since keyboard controllers need software synthesizers).

Perhaps a cost effective way would be to make a customizable keyboard stand, where you could add or subtract as many Keystations as you need. I have seen some "homebrewed" stands on the internet, but nothing that has been mass-produced.
  • The closest thing that I have seen to this idea is the K&M Baby-Spider Pro keyboard stand. You can add up to two tiers.

It's expensive at $300, but it's great because it's portable.
  • melofluentmelofluent
    http://www.ahlborn-galanti.com/Flyer_PDFs/PARVUS II.pdfimage

We've had our 20 year old version, only used about twice a year for overflow Masses at our parish hall, takes a lickin', keeps on ticken'. We do provide it decent amplification.
    476 x 428 - 91K
    Thanked by 1JulieColl
  • CharlesW
    What's the going price on these?
  • francis
    Yea, I spied those Parvus a few years ago. Can't remember price though.
  • francis
    all things midi can be found here...

http://www.midiworks.ca/
  • melofluentmelofluent
    Under 2K 2 decades ago. Don't think that's stayed, but with electronics, who knows?
  • A Johannus Studio 170 can be had for $8k or less. You can choose between 3 different 30-note pedalboards.

The Opus 270 also has a choice of pedalboards (but 32-note), and can be upgraded from plastic keyboards to wood core plastic keys, solid wood keys, or custom UHT wooden keyboards. It starts around $10k.

I played home instruments from Allen, Roland/Rogers and Johannus at the AGO convention in Nashville, and found that only Johannus had a touch that even remotely resembled a typical pipe organ keyboard.

Johannus was also the only vendor for whom a flat pedalboard to typical European standards wasn't a big deal. As with many vendors, the pedalboards are interchangeable, so you can buy both and switch based on current needs.

While I was initially drawn to the Studio 170, I'm considering the Opus to be able to upgrade to reverse colored wooden keys. I'm also considering purchasing the wooden keyboards from midiworks.ca, and midifying a pedalboard to be locally sourced, or ordered from OSI. I just don't like having to always use my computer with it. I know I could buy a midi expander box for it, but those are far from cheap.
  • Also--I do like that Johannus puts the msrp of its organs on it's website. Trying to get a firm price out of an Allen dealer can be challenging at times...
    Thanked by 2Earl_Grey Mark Husey
  • The Roland factory in Italy is proud to have the Vatican choose to use their organs when an organ is not available in a location outside the Vatican and in the Sistine Chapel when the decision is made that a smaller, more portable instrument would be more appropriate.

The lovely little Mathis organ was built so that it may be moved in and out of the Chapel, with a storage room for it prepared outside the chapel, as is mentioned in articles about the organ.

Typically moving a portable pipe organ requires time to it is sit and acclimate to the room temperature and humidity before it can be reliably tuned. Possibly the use of the Roland is for occasions where there is not time or money for the Mathis (3.5 metric tons?) to be trucked in and out of the room.

Would you rather have them use guitars?

You may not be aware that the organist at the Vatican is NOT permitted to practice on the Vatican organ freely...and I'm sure that that would also apply to the Mathis if it were sitting in the Chapel - hopefully the storage room would permit use of it there.

Also, don't pose as the Vatican Organist unless you are.
    Thanked by 1JulieColl
  • As far as the price of organs - the less you pay, the less you get. This is reflected in the tone of the instruments, the length and coverage of parts warranties...all the way through. And this applies to pipe organs as well.

If you can find a less-expensive organ that you can live with for a practice organ, go for it.

Be brutally honest with the sales person you are dealing with. If they know what you want and what else you are considering, it helps them determine, with you, if their instrument may or may not be the one for you. If you want a flat pedalboard, do like Marc, and let them know. All builders that I know of will provide them - but as Marc discovered, often sales people will push you towards what they like rather than what you want.

UHT keyboards are wonderful. They can cost as much as an organ!
    Thanked by 1JulieColl
  • You should expect to pay from possibly just under $2,000 to 3,500 for a single keyboard organ - the C-200 is on the high end of that.
  • melofluentmelofluent
    Would you rather have them use guitars?

Noel, HHFrancis sent me an email in which he said to relay:
    "Why yes, yes I would."
    He was, however, unwilling to pay for my airfare and lodging.
  • CharlesW
    Hah! ROFL
  • With the possible exception of Allen, Noel is entirely correct that you get what you pay for. At least in this area, I've found the Allen provides less than what you pay as the dealer is very reluctant to discount the list price--which is considerably higher than cost.

Johannus organs are very 'economically' built--BUT, for a living room organ, there's only so much you really need. For me, I really don't care what it sounds like, I care about how it feels, and how I will be able to practice on it. By that I mean 'will the touch help or hinder my practice?' and 'can I practice the music I'm learning on it?' On a one manual I wouldn't be able to work on trio sonatas. On the 2-manual Roland I tried at the AGO convention, the spongy, basic keyboard touch it had would hinder my technique. A particular reason I'd like reverse color keys is because I'm very uncomfortable playing on those organs, and would like to become comfortable with it. (For me, I think it's the lack of seeing the spaces between the keys that makes it hard for me to judge my hand position when looking with my periferal vision.)
  • I have a firm policy of discounting to organists and not churches...an organ that goes to a home "disappears" and requires little if any time and effort in the way of education and service during and after the warranty period and because....churches have $, organists do not!

I've been hunting a source for BDO 30 note concave flat-radiating pedalboards built in the US - at this point I can get them out of Germany and Italy, but I'd prefer to buy in the US. I've got a harpsichord as well as a C-200 I'd use them on.
  • Just for Melo...a MIDI demo I am working on that may also be played acoustic....love to hear you play this in church....attached file revised and replaced 1:50PM 6/16/13
  • While I've played on many flat-parallel pedalboards, I've just played a parallel concave pedalboard 2 days ago (the Fisk at Rice Universite in Houston) and was amazed at how easy it was to play on. I think it's a great design.
  • hartleymartin
    Whilst we are talking about Roland products, does anyone here know if the C230 is capable of taking their PK25A unit? (Their 25-note flat, radiating pedalboard). The way the C230 is set up, the bottom 20 notes have the additional 16' and 8 stops associated with them. This may mean that the C230 is only compatible with a 20-note pedalboard (somewhat disappointing!)
  • The Roland PK-25 pedalboard costs more than the C-200. Don't even consider it.
  • irishtenoririshtenor
    What type of pedalboard would you recommend, Noel?
  • I've been unable to find a 30 note BDO pedalboard built in the US. Roland will not sell theirs as an independent product. Viscount is said to have a nice one but they insist that I buy 5 at a time - not interested. Laukhuff may be the best source.

If you want an AGO, call your local pipe organ repair/builder - get a used on, buy a MIDI interface and wire it yourself to save $.
  • hartleymartin
    I've actually got a 25 note pedalboard off an old Conn organ, which is basically the same as the roland pk25a. For the price of the roland product I can get a pedalboard kit from Italy sent to Sydney.
  • hartleymartin
    If you're looking for a midi pedalboard. This is always an option:

http://www.pedamidikit.org

They sell pedalboards in kit form.

Unfortunately, there are very few organ builders here in Australia and not much a supply of spare parts either.
  • hartleymartin
    In any case, I've decided that the Viscount Cantorum is probably going to be a better instrument.
  • Get them both on trial at the same time - that's always the best way to make this kind of decision.
  • hartleymartin
    I can't afford to do that.
  • They can't afford not to loan them both to you on trial [try it out without paying for it to see if you want to buy it] if they want to make a sale.