Favorites from The Summit Choirbook?? Help!
  • I just recently obtained a copy of The Summit Choirbook and from the first few pages I found I was very surprised to see how wonderful these pieces are!

What, if I may ask, are your favorite hymns from the book (to point me in the right direction for upcoming feasts and the liturgical year to come)?
    Thanked by 1noel jones, aago
  • canadashcanadash
    I've never heard of this choir book?
  • CharlesW
    Neither have I.
  • Marc Cerisier
    I do 'Adorn Your Bridal Chamber' from it with my girl choir every Feb. 2. 'To You Do We Come' is also excellent.
  • ScottKChicago
    No. 290, I bind unto myself today (St. Patrick) is a favorite for Trinity Sunday, confirmations, ordinations, or in general.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gxA2zOSAuxc

Then there's No. 157, well done here by Stephen Colbert:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oASYa-Wkroc
    Thanked by 1Richard Mix
  • Kathy
    Best. Hymnal. Ever.
    Thanked by 1noel jones, aago
  • rich_enough
    It is an excellent resource with many things I have found nowhere else. Here are some of my favorites:

Advent
    #6 - Long is Our WInter (it appears that the E-flat on "is" in the second line should be a D)
    Lent
    #62 - Gabriels' Message Does Away
    #77 - That Virgin's Child - hauting setting by Talllis of a marvelous poem
    Easter
    #96 - Christ is Arisen Glorious
    #100 - Rejoice, Angelic Choirs, Rejoice
    Pentecost
    #129 - Into Our Hearts, O Spirit Come
    Christ the King and General
    #151 - Jesu Rex Admirabilis - an oldie but very goodie
    Evening
    #186 - O Gladsome Light
    Blessed Virgin Mary
    #218- Maiden Yet a Mother
    #347 - O Maria, O Star of Morning
    #353 - Mary, Thou Art Fairest

I've sung a number of these with choirs (6, 77, 151, 347) with great success. #347 comes from a collection entitled "Christan Life in Song," edited by Paul R. Ladd and published by McLaughlin Reilly around 1963. Another fantastic resource if you can manage to get a copy.
    Thanked by 1jbmusicrose
  • chonakchonak
    The hymnal is produced by the Dominican Nuns of Summit, NJ, and can be ordered from them here.
  • jbmusicrose
    Wow great topic--I have one of these too but never got around to really studying it and looking through. Thanks rich_enough for your detailed selections, this will surely help. Does anyone else have more favorites from this vast resource?
  • Kathy
    I think one of its strengths is the breadth of hymn tunes. Playing through it is an education in itself.
  • CGM
    Is this a 4-vc. hymnal (that is, SA/TB on a grand staff)?
  • Spriggo
    Is this a 4-vc. hymnal (that is, SA/TB on a grand staff)?

Mine arrived today, and yes, it appears that this is so.
  • Kathy
    I couldn't remember if it was SATB or SSA, esp since it was originally intended for nuns in Dominican Monasteries.