• I imagine this question will spark some debate, but as I work with my schola, I am curious about this. How many of you use organ accompaniment for your chanted Masses or Office liturgies? I rather prefer a capella chant, but just about every YouTube video I find seems to have organ. Personally I find the repetitive harmonies bothersome and distracting from the words, but that's just me. What does the chantosphere have to say?

moconnor
  • Chantosphere! nice.

Accompaniment completely changes the character of chant. The chords just shouldn't be heard. There are probably some acoustic environments that seem to create a demand--and the fewer chords, the better--but there really can't be any dispute about the ideal of of a capella chant.
  • GavinGavin
    I use accompaniment with the congregation in the absence of a choir and when a particularly hard ordinary is being sung. I find some chants really cry out for the harmony of accompaniment - the potential v-I at the end of the Mass XVIII Sanctus for example. And Gloria VIII is going to wind up in a different key altogether if you have a congregation chant it a capella. But ultimately I do prefer a capella, almost as if it lets the chant "speak for itself". Kyrie V, for example, can have some lovely accompaniment, but nothing can beat the implied harmonies of chanting it a capella.
  • Pes
    I prefer chant unaccompanied as well, but I can understand its use for practical reasons (e.g. chronically unreliable, out-of-tune singing). I would however like to speak up for the high quality of accompaniments from the Nova Organi Harmonia. One hopes for an electronic version of that monumental piece of work sometime soon.

If I may riff a bit, it seems to me that chant accompaniments are a bit like castings. They fix things. Gavin is right that unaccompanied chants imply a lot of harmony, and it's a wonderful thing to let them do that. A musician can muse on these implications, but I think they're only heard by musicians. Non-musicians just hear pleasant sounds and sense melodic arches. If they're attentive, they pay attention to the text. Thus, their engagement is more superficial, and that's by no means a criticism or insult -- they have better things to do in church than reflect on musical form. But to return: inferior accompaniments can make the chant sound predictable and ordinary.

That's a disservice. Recently I've been listening to a lot of Olivier Messiaen's music for organ. There are no catchy melodies. The harmonies are totally unpredictable. And yet, however "complicated" it sounds, it never intrudes and disrupts my prayer. It's a bit like working while someone is singing in a foreign language: if you don't know the language, your own interior thinking isn't impinged upon nearly as much. Someone singing in your own language is much more invasive. It is even more invasive if the song has a melodic hook and a catchy refrain. These things are designed, by their predictability and force of repetition, to prevent any interior working of your own. You find yourself humming the things, the words continue to reverberate, etc. I'm sure there is some good physiological explanation for how this works: surely our brains have short-term networks that are easily exploited by hearing simple repetitive patterns.

I can hear someone saying, "Yeah, and that's good! We want people walking out of church singing 'I am the Bread of Life' to himself!" Do we really? I don't think so. It is absurdly, and I would say offensively, reductive. What happens at the Mass is much more complex and compelling than a few verses of a religious song. Instead, what I've found is that listening to Messiaen's music, as does listening to the chant, puts me in a peculiar state where I know I'm somewhere set apart, and my brain is free to range over the full spectrum of what's going on at the Mass. I can observe my brothers and sisters in Christ in, well, a spirit of some wonder. In short, I find my thoughts and spirits liberated. When I am forced into singing con music, on the other hand, the experience is intensely restrictive. I feel manipulated. I feel my attention driven down and made to conform to something infinitely more trivial than the Mass.

All this has to do with melody and harmony. Some of it is suggestive and liberating and consorts well with chant. Some of it is manipulative, even coercive, and prevents a rich participation at the Mass.
    Thanked by 1hilluminar
  • Good luck getting the faithful to chant without accompaniment (but the question may have more to do with a schola). Purists decry the way accompaniment removes the element of harmonic ambiguity that is so characteristic of unaccompanied chant, but if you're trying to get people to join in, they need some help, and sensitive accompaniment is it.

And what would we do without the Notre-Dames de Paris of this world, where chant accompaniment is by way of a screaming organ with all the subtlety of a circular saw? :)
  • Pes
    Hey, they chant the Our Father just fine without accompaniment.
  • G
    "All this has to do with melody and harmony. Some of it is suggestive and liberating and consorts well with chant. Some of it is manipulative, even coercive, and prevents a rich participation at the Mass."

Hmmm.
    Hmmm.
    And hmmm again.
    I think my thoughts on music and liturgy are remarkably similar, albeit very simplistic, in large part because of my background. As an actor, pace, picking up cues, attention-grabbing entrances and applause-begging exits can become obsessions, (even in modern musicals whose construction is not quite so formal as classics, with their in-one scenes and 11 o'clock numbers.)
    As the "performer" of various portions of the Liturgy I have had to fight all those urges, and in reading your post I realize that the composer of liturgical music, (as opposed to merely religious music,) ought to as well.
    So much of the repertoire I am trying to wean my choir off ends in a virtual "Ta-dah!"
    The cadences provided by accompaniment may supply a period, or even an exclamation point where a semi-colon is called for...
    Perhaps nothing I have said makes sense, and is a misapprehension of what you were saying.
    Back on topic, I never accompany the single item of chanted Latin Ordinary I am allowed to use, (the simplex Agnus Dei,) except with a very weak cantor.
    The same goes for English chanted psalms, English sequences.
    The very few Gregorian propers we sing are always unaccompanied. I can "keep us together" better with body language than with organ tones.

Chant hymns, on the other hand, whether in English or Latin, we can do well unaccompanied only if I introduced them to the parish. Something like O Come, O Come Emmanuel, choir and congregation alike just cannot sing without some accompaniment.
    Weird.
    (Save the Liturgy, Save the World)
  • "screaming organ with all the subtlety of a circular saw"

Have you ever heard (observed) a circular saw, especially a table saw, as the blade slows down when turned off? It is truly "celestial" - e.g. two notes coming into tune with each other but still out of tune, like the organ "Celeste" stop. This is the Doppler Effect - the saw teeth vibrating at there physical pitch, but always both going away from you (making them flatter) and coming towards you (making them sharper). When the blade stops, there is but one tone from the saw teeth.

I love accompanied chant. It's what I grew up with, and it IS a tradition of the Church. What we had forcibly taken from us (the vast majority of us) in 1964 was accompanied chant. And we had experienced it just like our grand-parents and even great-grand-parents. The best of the RC organist work set to working out the best ways of accompanying chant with the original Liturgical Reform of St. Pope Pius X. Whether any of the got it "right" is a somewhat subjective question, but I believe there is a 'better' way to accompany chant. Certainly, simply fitting major/minor chords underneath the melody falls far short of the mark. It might not clash with the melody, but it does not clarify the implied harmonies, indeed, it doesn't even move with those implied harmonies! Unfortunately, there are many published chant accompaniment books that do just that! The only thing that can make that a worse situation is for the organist to treat said accompaniment as a hymn-style "leading" accompaniment. The only way to lead with the organ is the Principal chorus, even up to the mixtures! Just listen to the chant as performed on the most popular Catholic radio stations here in the USA - it is an argument for unaccompanied chant!

Again, I will mention the work of the Lemmens Institute in Belgium - "Nova Organi Harmonia". It is still POP. But if you are fortunate enough to have access to an old copy, I think you have a real epiphany about accompanied chant. Not only is the organ part strictly "modal", there is at least one note changing at every arsis and thesis. There is a certain amount of harmonic tension through each arsis which is at least partially resolved in the following thesis. I.e. not every thesis is resolved to the same extent, nor is every arsis completely without some feeling of 'at rest'. I feel like this accompaniment, especially on a couple of soft stops (maybe even the Celeste stops) sounds like the chorus of angels supporting my/our chanting. This is also due, in part, to our modern ears! Listen to the jazz of Kenny G, especially to the accompanying instrumentals. Jazz chords, built on more than a simple triad, each have a combination of dissonance and consonance - they are tensioned and yet at rest all through the piece. This is also the standard of Gregorian chant, that it overall provide a sense of peace. As I am growing used to the NOH, I find that both major and minor seconds in the harmonies are the ONLY possible harmonies that my ear wants to hear! When I am finished chanting a 2-3 page Introit, I feel totally at peace!

So, I remain confident that there is room for both accompanied and a capella chant today.
  • Hey thanks for all the comments. I was, in particular, speaking about schola work, but I'm glad folks have chimed in on congregational chant. I think for the latter, I prefer a mix. Who wants to sing the Pater noster to accompaniment? Chant hymns, however, do benefit from realizing the implied harmonies. Psalmody? yuck. I just don't like the rocking back and forth.. Also the chant becomes very mechanical in most cases. My schola's first public service will be totally a cappella (Vespers). I may live to regret it, but this is the sound I'm after. I'm just curious who else is doing this.

moconnor
  • Mark M.Mark M.
    So, thoughts on these examples (the "Ecce Virgo" Communio in particular… recorded live from St. Benedict's Monastery in São Paulo, Brazil)…?
  • GavinGavin
    ScottK, I don't think picking up a capella music is impossible for the congregation, so long as its done consistently for a long time. A month for Mass XVIII or Gloria XV, 3-4 months for Gloria VIII and most anything else that's decent. Don't even think about a learning a credo in less than a year. And you NEED at least 3 strong singers from the loft to help with matters.

So people may learn it better with accompaniment, but in the long run a capella is best. Just don't try to switch it after it's learned... THAT'S a pain.
  • Our whole experience is that people sing without instruments but do not sing with them -- exactly the reverse of the usual claim about how instruments "support" singing.
  • Jscola30
    I always liked Ted Marier's chant accompaniments. Luckily, there's many of them in the Adoremus hymnal (and one in the Collegeville Hymnal and Hymnal for the Hours).
    Thanked by 1Gamba
  • Carl DCarl D
    Well, I don't have access to an organist with the requisite skill, so we chant everything a capella. Works reasonably well, even when the pitch wanders on occasion.
  • priorstf
    My vote is 100% against organ accompaniment of Gregorian Chant. I'd cite several reasons.
    1) Most accompanists feel that accompanying with pretty chords is a way to "beautify" the chant. Well, chant needs no beautification program. It is what is is. Filling in notes means that the organ does what the human ear and mind should do. Just as a clear highway simplifies driving, clear music simplifies travel to God.
    2) Accompaniment often means changing from a diatonic to a chromatic structure. There is no cause to do so. Let people savor the individual tones. If in their mind they hear chord structures they may well differ from those in my mind. This probably reflects the different pathways our spiritual lives will take.
    3) Modernizing the music is just like modernizing the Mass itself. Chant has survived unencumbered for many centuries. Why end that run?
    4) Accompaniment locks you into a key. Our starting pitch is often based on who is here, what mood we're in, what time of day it is, etc. In effect it is a reflection of the soul of the schola. Don't feel like singing in E flat today? Let's try D sharp instead and everybody's happy!

Our congregation does just fine a cappella. We have no accompanist for daily Mass or First Friday Devotions, and the people who are there sing very well. It's not chant, though perhaps that day will come. But O Salutaris Hostia and Tantum Ergo work just fine. When we used to have the NO in Latin they could sing the entire ordinary including the Credo. No organ needed.

So leave the accompaniment out of it. Well, maybe one exception: when the congregation goes into full Catholic mode, a big loud metronome could help!
  • Isaac
    Hmm. I don't really see this as an either-or. And I really don't see (or don't hear for that matter) why organ should necessarily be a detriment to chant. Especially in a Cathedral atmosphere, singing the Credo accompanied lends a very grand feel (not that Chant can't do so by itself) as is done in London Oratory, Westminster Cathedral, St, Pat's in Melbourne and many other places.

Also, Westminster Cathedral has a very fine choir and they too chant the psalms with the organ. It doesn't mean that it should always be done, but in 'some' ways it may give the idea of progressive solemnity a boost. Of course it's more than fine if it's unaccompanied but even if it is, a suitable organ accompaniment that doesn't distract cannot but edify the unison voices of Gregorian Chant.

While we certainly can't put it in the same league, it would be very hard to imagine Langlais' mass settings without an organ. The idea of unison voices in 'chant' like fashion and accompanied music as diametric opposites is a very frustrating and antagonizing split that we like to impose just to make our theories neater, don't you think?

Isaac.
  • While I prefer a capella, organ accompanied chant has a very long pedigree. The first organs were installed in the late Middle Ages to ... accompany chant. Spanish cathedrals of the late 16th and early 17th centuries had an interesting tradition where a curtal (early bassoon) actually doubled the chant line, much like the French used the serpent in later centuries. Ever wondered why Berlioz used serpent in the first version of Symphonie fantastique? The French would have immediately recognized its sound playing the Dies irae in the 5th movement. So, I'm not really seeing a capella as an "authentic" tradition, but rather a modern aesthetic that is taken from a perceived ancient usage.

moconnor
  • I was an organist at a Seminary in the early 60's when chant was a living tradition. In our chapel, chant was almost always accompanied. Good Friday was an exception. Singing by the entire community was the norm, and I still miss the sound of a couple of hundred vigorous male voices singing one of our favorite Ordinaries.

Often the priest/choirmaster would just plop the Liber on the music stand of the organ and say "play this." So I developed the ability to improvise an accompaniment right from the square notes, based on the outlines of the melodies.

I still prefer to improvise my own accompaniments (when I get a chance to play chant, which in my parish isn't very often.) The way I look at it is this: chant is monody; it's just melody with words. Accompaniment is not part of the music but something ephemeral which reinforces the melody. Chant melodies constantly outline tonal structures, after all. In a reverberant room, the notes ringing in the air create harmonies, different for each mode.

When I studied music history, I learned that an important clue for the performance of early vocal music is contained in the manuscript illustrations and paintings which show instrumentalists playing along with the singers.

I think the important thing is to bring chant back to parishes, especially while we older folks are still around who literally grew up singing in Latin. Who is going to be the referee, anyway?
  • I should add that we know so little about medieval performance practice. It is logical to assume that before about the 13th century, when portative organs start showing up in the iconography, most chant was unaccompanied. Even after that, only the richer churches had organs for quite some time. Someone might know more about this, but I'm assuming that Cistercian monasteries never used instruments.

In our own, it is certainly reasonable to countenance both practices for practical and aesthetic reasons.

BTW the organist I inherited at my last job learned his craft in the monastery. Any time I needed a chant accompaniment, he just did it from memory.

moconnor
  • A famous quote from the Cistercian abbot St. Aelred of Rievaulx (1166): "Why, I ask you, do we see in church so many organs and bells? What use, pray, is this terrifying blast from the bellows, which sounds more like thunder than the sweet human voice? During all this, the people stand trembling and speechless, amazed by the throb of the bellows, the clashing of bells and the music of the organ pipes... It is as though a crowd had assembled not in a place of worship but in a theatre; not to pray, but to witness a spectacle." See http://www.ondamar.demon.co.uk/literat/med-wes.htm.
  • That's a great link. Lots of good primary source stuff, but I wish they had also provided the original language so that one could what words were being translated as organ. The comments also suggest that some organs were actually quite large. Thanks!

moconnor
  • GavinGavin
    moconnor, I suppose two ranks (for the real rich churches) must have been huge in those days. As I recall, the oldest extant organ dates from the 13th century. Any clue how large that one is? I smile to think good ol' JS Bach must have made the abbot roll in his grave!
  • Gavin, that one excerpt on the site that highview sent mentions one organ with 400 pipes!

One of the most famous literary references to the organ is in a poem by the monk Wulstan, written shortly after 966, in which he describes the organ recently set up in Winchester Cathedral.

The organs you have built here are unlike any others;
    Solidly set on a double plinth.
    Above, twelve bellows are laid out,
    Beneath, fourteen more in a row.
    With alternating blasts they give the powerful wind
    Worked by seventy strong men.
    Labouring with their arms, covered in sweat,
    Each urging the others to work up the wind
    That the instrument may sing out with all its strength.
    Four hundred pipes are there, set in rows,
    Governed by the organist's skilful hand.
    Listen! He brings some on, he shuts some off
    As the musical notes require.
    Two like-minded brothers sit there together,
    Each the master of his own musical alphabet.
    In the forty tongues are hidden holes,
    Ten pipes to each.
    Some slide in, others move out,
    In proper measure for each note.
    The seven-note scale shouts aloud,
    Mingled with the lyrical semitones.
    Like thunder the iron tones batter the ear,
    Drowning out all other sound.
    Such are its echoes, everywhere,
    That hands cover ears
    And no-one dares draw near to approach
    This roaring mass of tone.
    The noise rings out about the town,
    And its fame throughout the land.

From this poem it appears that 400 pipes were arranged in ten ranks, played from two keyboards. Given the presence of certain semitones, there was probably a compass of three or four octaves.

Medieval hyperbole?

moconnor
  • I guess this has gotten off onto a tangent. As I understand it, the Greeks and Romans had organs with a hydraulic powered wind supply. Shows on the History Channel are constantly reminding us of their engineering ability. These were outdoor instruments, very loud and raucous -- I believe I heard that the Colosseum had one. After the dark ages they were revived and began to be used in churches but were still extremely loud. A friend of mine visiting Germany wrote that the baroque organ in a German church was the loudest thing she had ever heard except for a rock concert. As organ building advanced builders developed stops mellow enough to accompany singing. The 1887 organ at my church has an entire pallette of soft stops which support even the softest singing without overwhelming it. This kind of organ sound, in the hands of a sensitive accompanist, can unobtrusively support a large congregation singing a chant ordinary. A small, experienced schola would no doubt prefer to sing without accompaniment.
  • Isaac
    Just thought this might put some perspective. Westminster Vespers and Mass...though the Vespers is in English (usually in Latin) for the Psalmody..Hear the organ.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio4/religion/pip/zqqvf/

tell me if it doesn't work. By the way. Merry Christmas!

Isaac.
  • francis
    Music is like the wind.
    Put it in a box,
    it is no longer music.

I truly like steak.
    Do I eat it every night?
    Sometimes a simple soup and bread
    Could not be better.

Chant with,
    Chant without;
    Organ with,
    Organ without.

Listen for the wind!
    You can chase after it,
    But you will never catch it!
  • I am not an organist, but occasionally we would like to have organ accompaniment for ordinaries to help the parishioners sing. However, neither of our two organists does a very great job of playing so that it doesn't overwhelm the schola. We have bought the accompaniment from Paraclete press for the Liber Cantualis, which is what they are using. Since neither of the two organists are chant singers themselves, it is hard to get them to follow very well. As a consequence, they are often either behind or ahead of the singers when they try to play the entire accompaniment, plus they play so loudly, the singers are hardly heard.

We've tried also asked them to just play the chords at the beginnings of phrases, but that also isn't sounding too great.

Any suggestions?
  • Jscola30
    I think it may be registration issues, insofar as the playing loudly is concerned. A book I have copied the service playing section (but I can't remember now) reccommend I think things to be soft and plain: 8' flute or string, perhaps with a 4' one as well, if using the pedal, perhaps a very soft 8' and maybe a very soft 16' stop (again flute or string). David Heller, in his Manual For Hymn Playing says "...when the organ is used for support, the registration should be clear and lean --just enough to support the congregation without being too obtrusive. Try ommiting the 16' pitch in the pedal altogether. Soloing out the melody on a more promienet registration can be helpul to the congregation as they sing. Since the nature of this style is so text orientated, it would behoove the organist to sing the text several times before acc. the congregation." So I would def. tell the organists to sing it before they accompany it. Or, if you look in our chant recordings we mention recordings that use accompaniments. One I reccomend is the Soul of Chant, which is mass ordinaries.

Or if you are from around the New England Area, I would be MORE than happy to come down for a Sunday....lol
  • Dave
    Ideally, chant should be unaccompanied. I suppose accompaniments could help choirs and cantors that need some support; professional singers should not need that support.

As for accompaniments themselves, I have a great affinity for those arranged by Chrysogonus Waddell, OCSO. They provide a good ground for improvisations on Gregorian themes. Registration is up to the organist, but I like to use a round-sounding 8' flute stop (e.g., Melodia) on the manual coupled to pedal with a quiet 16' string in the pedal.
  • francis
    OK... I was very cryptic a couple of entries up, I admit.

Well, I LOVE the sound of voice alone, but I am also an organist and a composer. So, what I am trying to say is that there are many ways to execute chant. One is not better than the other, per se... they each have a moment when they will be right for the circumstance, the season and the setting.

eg. I can't stand electronic organs. In fact, I am hard pressed to take a position where a pipe organ is not employed. And where these is the lack of a good instrument, I much prefer a cappella to using something that grates my eardrums and my nerves. In fact, I would go so far to say that I prefer a Mass without music than to one with BAD music. Tis a sad statement, but one which we have come to in these confused and troubled times in the liturgy.

That all being said, I have even heard beautiful chant with a simple guitar as an accompaniment, playing a simple glissando, or even just a sparse bass obligato. Perhaps God likes the variety. When lovers love, it is never the same twice! So, too, when we love God. After all... no two performances of chant are the same, even when it is the exact same schola.
  • Having an affinity for chant is a prerequisite for an organist accompanying it! The concept is simple - varying combinations of duple & triple, as free flowing as possible, but the organist MUST know which notes are going to held just a bit longer. That probably requires the organist to do some independent study of chant notation, especially the Solesmes Method, and listening to examples. Again, this is NOT difficult. It just takes an open mind.

Oh. Maybe it is that difficult!

Sorry.

Happy New Year. The above may be some food for thought in preparation for a New Year's resolution?
  • Lawrence
    I'm using the organ with the Ordinary right now, but under duress. I can't wait for Septuagesima and Lent, when the organ goes bye-bye.

Why would one want to accompany chant? The only good reason is to help the people sing it. However, in my experience, the organ only introduces confusion into the singing. I have seen it happen where scholas and organists don't quite agree on how long to hold this or that horizontal episema, and in such instances you find the seeds of train wrecks. This can happen with well-qualified musicians. It is not an occurrence only with the many mediocre musicians who are out there.

Secondly, there is the issue of texture. The Pragmatists like to minimize artistic considerations when it comes to chant accompaniment, but texture is a very important aspect of all this, and generally it is destroyed by organ accompaniment. Again, the only good reason to accompany chant is to assist a faltering congregation, and the only way to do this is with a strong organ registration--and some may also argue frequent harmonic changes--that will inevitably destroy the texture of the chant.

"Oh go take your concerns about texture back to the conservatory," I could hear people saying. But let me ask you this.
    If you sat down to a steak dinner that tasted like steak but had the texture of pudding, would you be pleased? Indeed, the false texture would probably affect the taste. It wouldn't taste like steak; it would taste like steak-flavored pudding. (This has never happened to me--yet.) Texture is part of an organism's constitution--even part of its proportion. When the texture is violated, the proportion--which relies on the harmony of matter and form--is destroyed. (See St. Thomas Aquinas or Umberto Eco, both of whom discuss this far better than I can.)

There is one type of chant accompaniment that does not destroy its texture, and this consists in holding long chords softly in the background. This does nothing to assist the singers, so what's the point? Maintain the pitch? Train your schola better. We've got to stop using the organ as a crutch or a band-aid.

It seems to me that we would be far better off spending more time teaching our people how to sing than wasting time with Belgian accompaniment books. Far better to spend some time with some Belgian beer:)
  • I'm ever more convinced that a schola may not tolerate even one singer who cannot maintain pitch. If there is even one person, he/she must go.
  • priorstf
    Jeffrey - I am sad to admit that I have come to the same conclusion, much as I would love to accommodate the "active participation" of all comers and much as I dislike an upcoming confrontation. At next week's schola rehearsal I plan that each of our singers will be doing Gloria Patri solos for evalation. I will offer remedial work to those in need, but they will not sing as part of the schola until they can augment rather than detriment the group. I have to chat with our music director first to prepare for backlash, but it's just not going to work otherwise.
  • priorstf
    Steve Collins mentions...
    [T]he organist MUST know which notes are going to held just a bit longer. That probably requires the organist to do some independent study of chant notation...

Hopefully what you meant to say is that it requires that the organist spend much time learning the ways of the schola he is accompanying. (I hope!) While STTL might asign the organist the responsibility of leading the congregational singing, that leadership must be surrendered to the schola and the organist switch to accompanist mode for chant. To do otherwise would be to invalidate the many hours a schola must spend learning to function as one voice.
  • Must be nice to have enough people available who can maintain pitch. I'm curious as to how far off pitch your problem singers are. Are they ending up just a little flat at the end of a long chant or are they way off? Just curious.

moconnor
  • GavinGavin
    Given the organist problems mentioned above, I'd say that only the choir/schola leader should do the accompanying. I'm tempted to agree that organ shouldn't be used as a crutch, but some of the chants are plain difficult. One could argue, "well just don't do them" but where does that leave you, especially if the accompaniment is needed for propers? And what of Masses without choirs? As for myself, I use accompaniment on the more difficult ordinaries (Gloria VIII would fall apart if not for organ) but not for choir. My general rule is that if a choir can't do the chant a capella, they can't do it.
  • priorstf
    Michael - I find intonation problems to be almost an inverse problem. If I had lots of singers I wouldn't be as concerned. We have 7 fairly regular singers. Five can hold pitch reasonably well, of whom 3 sing out and 2 lack confidence, and the other two are ... confident but problematic. I can survive dropping a half step over an introit, but these two can't dependably sing a do-re-mi third without dropping pitch. That's too much for the rest to hold up.
  • Right, I don't mean match a pitch. If a person can't match a pitch, he/she shouldn't be singing. The singers who are a problem are those who can't reliably navigate intervals. This is a huge problem for chant - and polyphony too, for that matter. If you stop and bang out the note, they can reach but they can't intuit it well enough to hit it every time. They will invariably fall short going up, which is what pushes down the pitch. If you are fighting this all the time, you can never get to style or rhythm or pronunciation. This is why they must go.
  • Priorstf: Yes, that is exactly what I meant. At this time, the only chant that is performed with the entire congregation is the "Missa de Angelis - Gloria", and I am in 90% accompaniment mode, whether I am also the Cantor or I have a Cantor assisting me. When I perform chant at the Latin Mass, I am singing solo. And when I have a schola with me, I will be leading them with my voice and some head motions (and we would have gone over the music well beforehand) and I will be 100% accompanying on the organ.

I simply prefer accompanied chant - though not just any accompaniment, as I've said before.

And it IS a tradition of the Church. Whether it is currently politically correct, academically encouraged, or historically accurate are all parts of the controversy. Said controversy would be minimized if it were acknowledged that both performances of chant are valid, and we all spent more time perfecting our performances, accompanied or not.
  • Thanks Jeffery and priorstf, I was curious about how restrictive you can practically be with your groups. I have 8 guys right now and they vary in ability. I don't doubt that I will lose a couple as they are now realizing how difficult some chants are. For my part, heck, I sometimes miss a P5 ascending since chant so often asks for P4s going up, but I'm getting better!

To get back to accomp vs unaccomp, I agree that it's a matter of preference and necessity. I was just tossing out the question to see what most folks were doing. We are going unaccompanied since I like it better. My guys, who are complete novices, but really eager to learn are navigating some pretty tricky chants (e.g., the Benedictus for solemn Vespers). We do spend a bit of time trying figure out things that might come easier with the organ playing harmonies, but I think they are becoming more self sufficient this way (although sometimes rather frustrated). Maybe we will do an accompanied service sometime just to broaden our experience.

moconnor
  • I'll do this as tersely as possible. Our schola sings without accompaniment (1962 Mass):

- all Office hymns chanted at Low Mass
    - Gregorian propers (when we move to the High Mass - we were singing them at the Latin Novus Ordo)
    - all responses
    - the Ordinary during the penitential seasons

With accompaniment:

- the Ordinary during the rest of the year
    - all Seasonal Marian antiphons (including penitential seasons)

I have no preference either way - actually, one of my more subversive ideas is a Graduale Romanum Comitante Chitarra(!) I contend, however, that any and all instrumentalists chosen/assigned to accompany the chant absolutely must be familiar with its spirit to be able to underpin it well; the listener should sense that the instrument is "breathing" with the rest of the choir, as a part of the choir.
  • francis
    Well said, Aristotle.

Very few "organists" understand the natural art of accompaniment. The organ should support the vocals and the organist must be intent on FOLLOWING the vocalists in every instance. This is very tricky because you must forgo the idea of tempo such as that which is utilized in Baroque music, or hymn singing.

I have heard organists try to 'lead' the congregation. I don't believe an organist shoud EVER lead a congregation OR a choir. It takes great sensitity and artistic ability to be an accompanist. You just can't be playing notes, even if it is in time. The 8' flute or prinicpal in a particular church on a particular organ is NEVER going to be the same from church to church. Foundational organ stops are just that. They lend support and should become a homogenized blend with a schola or choir.

On the other hand, no two scholas will ever sing the same (level of confidence, sensitivity to pitch, blend, resonance, etc.) Every performance is new, every event is unique, and that is the way it must be approached. Someone was talking about the 'soul' of the schola. Very well expressed. Your schola and your congregation all have a 'soul' when they worship together.

It all comes down to the mysterious blend of latria (worship) and the intellectual art. Here is an excellent article that discusses this very subject by Basil Cole.

http://www.ignatius.com/Magazines/hprweb/cole.htm

MW's definition
    ac·com·pa·ni·ment
    1: an instrumental or vocal part designed to support or complement a melody
    2 a: an addition (as an ornament) intended to give completeness or symmetry : complement b: an accompanying situation or occurrence : concomitant

Naxos definition
    Accompaniment
    An accompaniment is an additional part for a performer of any kind that is less important than another, which it serves to support and enhance. The piano is often used to provide an accompaniment to a solo singer. In instrumental works for, say, violin and piano the rôles may be reversed.
  • Jscola30
    Well said Steve!
  • Just purchased a copy of Nova Organi Hamonia on Abebooks from a bookseller in Germany... now to await its arrival!
  • David AndrewDavid Andrew
    I recently received a complementary copy of a CD of chant being sung by a monastic community of Benedictines (the name escapes me) that was being circulated for several reasons, not the least of which was to solicit donations.

After having heard recordings of the schola at St. Meinrad singing chant unaccompanied, I was struck by the overly-simplistic harmonies being used by the organist on this recording. The biggest problem, I'm guessing, is that so many of the accompaniments being written apply tonal harmonies (tonic/subdominant/dominant) to modal melodies. Some of the best "harmonizations" of chant seem to come from France, and I know that there is an untranslated treatise by either Dupre or Durufle (can't remember which) on the theory of keyboard harmony for use with chant.

At this point in my work, I'm not fortunate enough to have this problem, so I can't speak from experience. I know that I like to hear unaccompanied chant, but I also know that the recording I mentioned really falls flat because of the clunky I-IV-V-I chord progressions the organist puts under the chant. In that regard, I'm with Michael O on this one.
  • I will play an accompaniment for Missa VIII or Iubilate Deo, but then, only with an extremely transparant registration. Nothing more than flutes and princ. 8'. For the propers, never with accompaniment.

JP
  • francis
    Michael-

I will definitely join you in some Belgian Beer with my steak!

As for steak pudding... yuk!
  • Just make sure it's not Stella Artois, the Budweiser of Belgium!