Dobszay and “alius cantus aptus”
  • Jeffrey states on a recent post on the NLM main page
    It is the argument of Laszlo Dobszay in his Bugnini-Liturgy and the Reform of the Reform that the provision to permit another songs to replace the propers needs to be completely stricken from the rubrics. The first time I read that I was shocked and wasn’t sure that he needed to make such an extreme argument. I’ve come to believe that he is right. The propers should be mandatory in the Ordinary Form. Musicians need these mandates and so do the clergy. Such a mandate would be an act of peace because it would quell all this interminable debate and fighting.

The part of me that agrees wants to agree with Dobszay also...
    • Has a hard time advocating anything that would rule out, say, the glorious Charles Wood Jubilate in A-flat, or the “Tu pauperum refugium” attributed to Josquin, from the liturgy
    • Recalls that a LOT of moments for singing in the liturgy do not, in fact, have prescribed chants....in which case “alius cantus aptus” is the only option.
  • But Felipe, an important distinction. These are two different statements

1. The propers may not be replaced by other songs.
    2. Other songs may not be sung

In other words, you can do propers and also other appropriate songs. If I understand Dobszay, he is saying #1, not #2.
  • Hm....it doesn’t seem like the average entrance processional has time for 2 songs/chants....?
  • Right but Offertory and Communion? Surely. For example, on Holy Cross this Sunday, we sang during offertory a Litany of the Holy Cross, very plain and astoundingly effective. I've rarely seen so much singing taking place. It was really inspiring, and memorable. I would certainly say that this was an effective and appropriate song.
  • Even offertory processions....depending, I suppose, on the space and the congregation. We have pretty large assemblies of 800+ on a normal Sunday, and we only take 3-4 minutes.

Communion I’ll give you to an extent, but if we use all those verses for Palm Sunday, not so much....

And then there is the whole language question....depending, I suppose, on whether one thinks approved translations are necessary for the processional propers.
  • Well, there is nothing wrong with doing propers in vernacular with Psalm tones. I just sound like a broken record scratched CD here. But I find these approach incredibly effective. As we know, there are no official translations for sung propers. The Offertory proper only takes 15 seconds in this case, leaving 4 or 5 mins (in our case) for more music.
  • Ah, ok....

I guess I wonder, though, what good would result from a perfunctory recto tono statement of an offertory antiphon followed by whatever...
  • It's a good question. I think what it does is actually very important. In the OF in particular, it underscores the fact that the liturgy has not stopped.
  • Jan
    And it underscores the importance of the proper text at the liturgy.
  • I agree that even a perfunctory singing is better than no statement of (for example) the offertory text at all.

But I am not sure that, to the general populace, much difference is perceived when 15 seconds are taken up by a quick chant, and the remaining 3-ish minutes are either a substantial anthem or a congregational song.

Does anyone out there do something like this?
  • I think it was Michael Lawrence who pointed out to me what makes the critical different in the OF and EF offertory: the celebrant's Dominus Vobiscum. Its absence in the OF really does cause the Offertory to seem like the liturgy has just provided a bit of a break time. Singing the proper helps alleviate that problem.
  • incantuincantu
    My interpretation has always been that the 4 options in the GIRM should be followed in order to the best of one's ability. The weekend for instance, we had the ability to sing the Communion in chant or polyphony. We just couldn't tackle the offertory, so we borrowed the vesper hymn "Vexilla regis" and sang it in alternatim with polyphony of Dufay. We use the BFW entrance antiphons for Ordinary Time, but the Triumph of the Cross rarely falls on a Sunday. I didn't think it would be possible for the congregation to learn the new antiphon, so we simply sang it to a psalm tone. In no case was it necessary to resort to non-liturgical texts. May I coin the battle cry: "Vote no on 4".
  • Jeffrey - I'd never stopped to think about that. We have one older priest who says "The Lord be with you" and "Let us pray" at the beginning of the Offertory. It truly adds something to the transition from the Liturgy of the Word. I suspect it is in neither the red nor the black, but it is nonetheless a good thing.
  • May I coin the battle cry: "Vote no on 4".

LOL
  • Remember De Musica Sacra 27:
    Also note the following points with regard to the sung Mass:
    a) If the priest and his ministers go in procession by a long aisle, it would be permissible for the choir, after the singing of the Introit antiphon, and its psalm verse, to continue singing additional verses of the same psalm. The antiphon itself may be repeated after each verse or after every other verse; when the celebrant has reached the altar, the psalm ceases, and the Gloria Patri is sung, and finally the antiphon is repeated to conclude the Introit procession.
    b) After the Offertory antiphon is sung, it is also allowed to sing the ancient Gregorian melodies of the original Offertory verses which once were sung after the antiphon.

I presume that this is still legit. in the N.O. There's another thread on the Offertoriale Triplex.

Jeffrey, if the absence of the Dominus vobiscum in the N.O. elicits thoughts of breaktime, what does the presence of the Oremus without a prayer do for you in the E.F.? Could you elaborate on how the proper offertory aleviates the problem? I, myself, am a big fan of propers.

No on 4!
  • While "Oremus" usually begins each Collect (and other prayers), it does also lead directly into the Offertory Proper in the EF Mass. Maybe the concept is that it begins the entire Offertory, which itself begins with the Antiphon. And I believe there is a new rubric (since Pope Pius XII) that the celebrant need not read the Propers at a High Mass where they are sung - though I may be wrong on that one.
  • Well, it is certainly an indication that the liturgical prayer continues, the bridge rather than the break. I'm not sure if that's what you mean...
  • Here it is in the GIRM

74. The procession bringing the gifts is accompanied by the Offertory chant (cf. above, no. 37b), which continues at least until the gifts have been placed on the altar. The norms on the manner of singing are the same as for the Entrance chant (cf. above, no. 48). Singing may always accompany the rite at the offertory, even when there is no procession with the gifts.
  • And excellent discussion of the offertory here in the Cath Encyc.
  • I think Ioannes’s question (or, at least, my own) is how the singing of a proper text does a better job of communicating that the Mass still continues through the offertory....especially if the non-proper text is drawn from a Scriptural source.

Most of the offertory propers, after all, are where they are because that’s where their associated psalms fall in numerical sequence relative to the rest of the Ordinary Time offertory propers. (The same may be said of introits, graduals, and, I believe, alleluias.) IIRC, the 26th Sunday of OT has an offertory from Ps. 137; there is nothing about that Sunday, in any Lectionary year, that necessarily connects with that psalm text; rather, it is a general seasonal text, and the offertories are ordered as they are based on the order of the psalms.

At least, that is my recollection from McKinnon.

But yes....so, on the 26th Sunday, if I sing “Super flumina”, how is that better than singing “In te, Domine, speravi”? Or, how does Nicholas Palmer’s beautiful “By the Rivers of Babylon” compare here? How about Hurd “Ubi caritas”, the bulk of which is taken from the Holy Thursday offertory hymn? Or, for that matter, any Scriptural text?

Rather than “No on 4”, how about “Yes on 1”? I’ll bet there are pieces that most here would lament losing and that would have to fall under “category 4”.
  • Well, one thing is that you can list in the program: Offertory Proper

that counts for something

In any case, a proper sung with deliberation and confidence has a greater effect that a hymn that the people are invited to sing. Nothing wrong with the English proper to a tone, followed by a hymn though.
  • I’ll see about giving that a try.

Actually, now that I think of it, this is exactly what we have been doing at Communion on occasion, except that we have only been doing it when there is time to prepare the bona-fide Gregorian communion antiphon: we sing the antiphon once, then proceed into the congregational music.
  • incantuincantu
    there is nothing about that Sunday, in any Lectionary year, that necessarily connects with that psalm text; rather, it is a general seasonal text, and the offertories are ordered as they are based on the order of the psalms.

On the contrary, the thing that makes the psalm specific to that Sunday is the Offertory itself! This attitude, from clergy and musicians alike, that somehow music is added to the Mass just drives me completely bonkers. Just as the readings are distributed throughout the year (or three year cycle) so that we get to hear a big chunk of the Bible, so are psalms distrubted by means of the chants. If we actually sang the entrance, sang the epistle, sang the gospel, sang the offertory, you would see no difference between singing on scripture and singing another. It's ony because we don't sing the epistle and don't sing the gospel that we start to think of them as "the readings" and the entrance and offertory as "the music." When the proper texts are replaced by songs, that only compounds the problem.

It struck me a few weeks back when I started Mass with "Take Up Your Cross," and the priest preceded the sign of the cross by saying "The words of our opening hymn ask us to do what we hear in today's gospel..." This is the only time I can remember a celebrant making reference to the music of the day. What if every homilist could assume that we would sing the Introit and the Offertory. Couldn't he then refer to these scriptures as well? Yes, there's nothing that makes any psalm especially suited for September 28th, 2008. But there is a psalm especially suited for the 26th Sunday in Ordinary Time because that psalm is part of the Mass.
  • right, right, right, right.

More homilies on the propers!
  • GavinGavin
    Incantu, I think Felipe is correct. The modern calendar rather haphazardly assigned the Gradual, Alleluia, and Offertories for the lectionary of ordinary time. As mentioned, why should one resort to the offertory when, under option 4, you can come up with something MORE appropriate than the proper offertory?! The lectionary is just a mess, and they need to discard it entirely and go back to the one-year.
  • Actually, incantu makes a good point that raises the question of how we determine that a given text is, or isn’t, more/less appropriate to a given Sunday than another text.

The Graduale Romanum of 1974 follows a principle of having the chant propers quote the day’s Scripture readings when possible. This is a sensible approach; I actually think this can be explained not just on the basis of “finding something to quote the Scriptures”, but on the basis of “find a logical place for this chant that quotes this Matthew passage”.

Under the former way of thinking, nearly the entire Mass proper is inadequate, and has been since the beginning, since few of the chants from the major seasons actually quote the day’s Scripture readings, even in the EF’s 1-year readings cycle. That way of thinking also has trouble explaining Advent and Christmas, almost none of whose chants actually quote Scripture pericopes from the lections.

The latter way of thinking can only apply to the OF, since there was/is no need to reorder the chants under the EF.

Gavin, if you look at the Ordo cantus Missæ, you will see that most of the chants were kept in the same order that they were in. So, it’s no more haphazard in the OF than in the EF.

I think what we eventually arrive at is that the major feasts and Sundays of Advent, Christmas, Lent, and Easter all have themes for the day; Sundays of Ordinary Time lack any kind of such “glue”. Each chant for the major seasons pertains to the day, while the only “theme” for Ordinary Time is comprehensiveness, the very lack of a single, over-arching theme; in other words, the theme is that there is no theme, and anything goes.

1st Advent: 2nd Coming
    2nd/3rd Advent: 2nd coming, John the Baptist
    4th Advent: Annunciation
    Christmas/Easter/etc.: Duh.
    Lent 1: Jesus' temptation
    Lent 2: Transfiguration
    Lent 3/4/5: ok, these do, indeed, depend more or less on the gospel
    Easter 2: Thomas
    Easter 3: Emmaus
    Easter 4: Good Shepherd
    Easter 5/6: Looking to Ascension and Pentecost
    Easter 7: (I forget)
  • GavinGavin
    most of the chants were kept in the same order that they were in. So, it’s no more haphazard in the OF than in the EF.

But that's just the point. The lessons were changed completely without the propers changing. Propers that once went with a Mass speaking of repentance now go with lessons speaking of healing (which are more appropriate to the old Epiphany season).

And the question of how we determine "aptus" is a great one. The Church told us the option 4 must be "appropriate" without giving any guidelines as to how to determine that! Is "Blest are They" appropriate for Communion on All Saints? Is "All are Welcome" appropriate for Easter? Is "Stabat Mater" appropriate for Exaltation of the Cross? Who decides these, and with what metric?

I would "vote no on 4" IF there were such provisions to go farther than the EF and say something like "the Proper text from the Gradual or Sacramentary (or option 2 or 3) MUST be sung or recited. Following that may be any truly suitable music." I've read of too many once-a-month EF Masses where, regardless of the day, the Offertory is always the proper antiphon followed by "Sicut Cervus" by Pallestrina. That's not any more aptus than "Let There be Peace on Earth". Well, maybe a little, but there's still a trend with even good celebrations of the EF to just do "antiphon + whatever I think sounds cool". I want to see strict guidelines on what's aptus. A couple immediate suggestions:

- In line with a theme or subtheme of the day
    - Quoted (or drawn from a text quoted) in another proper lesson or chant
    - Always appropriate to the worship of God and in line with Catholic theology (that's a given)
    - In line with the season
    - Drawn from Western or pre-schism Eastern tradition is better than not
    - etc.
    - If no text meets these criteria, the organ will play or silence will be kept.

I think this is a huge issue that needs to be addressed; what is aptus and what isn't?
  • Gavin wrote:
    But that's just the point. The lessons were changed completely without the propers changing. Propers that once went with a Mass speaking of repentance now go with lessons speaking of healing (which are more appropriate to the old Epiphany season).

I’m not sure about the specifics, esp. the post-Epiphany propers, but I am pretty sure the post-Pentecostal chants in general never had any scheme of direct relationship to the day’s readings.

I’m not sure why anyone would question a Beatitudes setting for All Saints. I wonder why anyone would suggest “All Are Welcome” for Easter. ISTM a meditation on the sorrow of Mary, particularly one as emotional as Stabat, is a bit out of place when celebrating the Triumph of the Cross.

I think the definition of “aptus” is purposely uncertain. I also think that definition is becoming more scrupulous in common usage.
  • incantuincantu
    I can't imagine resorting to the first choice in the GIRM. It is the first choice! What I also don't understand is why one would choose something not from the Mass without first asking "Am I capable of doing option 1? 2?" When I start thinking I have all the right answers and start asking "now how can I change the liturgy to meet what I think are the needs of the community" rather than "how can the liturgy, though its prescribed texts, help to change us as individuals" then I know I'm in trouble.

This idea of each Mass having a "theme" strikes me as a very 70's concept, and one without grounding in the liturgy itself. The "theme" of every Mass is the Paschal mystery. Certainly seasons have themes (baptism, charity, etc.) but the individual Mass (as much as I hate this expression) is what it is.
  • Dear incantu,

The reality that many of us face is that the chant propers need to be used in moderation because they constitute a radical change from what people know and accept as their own liturgy. And given the quality of some of the current congregational repertoire, I am not sure I would want that moderation to go away in average parishes; Hurd “Ubi caritas”, for example, is a nice piece and one that I would lament losing.

Eventually we’ll just arrive at a point where we only have so much time in the liturgy, and we won’t be able to keep it all. The chant repertoire will, I believe, endure, but I think some of what sometimes takes its place will also endure.
  • Pes
    "Theme" also correlates positively with foregrounding a priest's individual personality. "Father's homily is about how the readings fit together, so all the music should be about that theme, too." One then begins to think of the Mass as "Fr. Specific's Personal Take on Things," not as the Paschal Mystery that transcends all people, and all times.
  • Pes
    A thought experiment on "alius cantus aptus":

recto tono
    psalm tone
    unison chant melody
    chant in organum
    chant bicinia
    psalm-tone homophony
    chant-based polyphony
    any of the above with appropriate instrumental accompaniment
    original unison melody
    original melody in organum
    original melody bicinia
    original homophony (such as chorales)
    original melody polyphony
    any of the above original material with appropriate instrumental accompaniment
    parodied secular melodies scored for voices only
    parodied secular melodies scored for voices and instrumentation.

This seems to me to be a descending hierarchy: from pure unison expression of sung communal prayer, to the musical form most prone to non-sacred influence and unsuitability for sacred use. Note that I say "prone to."

Any harmonic palette in the above techniques, including pantonal and atonal ones, is potentially appropriate.
  • GavinGavin
    Pes, when I speak of the difficulty of deciding "alius cantus" which is "aptus", I'm referring to the text primarily - I would propose that melodies cannot (typically) be spoken of as "aptus" or not, but rather of their general appropriateness to the Mass or not. Texts on the other hand are either appropriate to the day or not. "Jesus Christ is Risen Today" on Good Friday? Inappropriate. If that tune had been used instead for something like "Herzliebster Jesu"? Appropriate. I'm referring to texts, which we have just about no objective way of deciding the appropriateness of.

Furthermore, if there is no "theme" or any rhyme or reason to the proper chants, why should we use them?
  • Gavin wrote: "Jesus Christ is Risen Today" on Good Friday? Inappropriate. If that tune had been used instead for something like "Herzliebster Jesu"? Appropriate.

I have to disagree heartily. Tunes can often (not always) have strong associations with their texts. Just a few weeks ago at my parish we sang a hymn whose first line was 'Go make of all disciples' to a tune I have long associated with the text 'The day of resurrection, earth tell it out abroad' (Tune name, Ellacombe, if I recall correctly). The whole time we were singing this hymn, I was thinking, 'but it's not Easter'. Appropriate? I think not.

In another case, chant teachers often stress how wonderfully chant melodies accord with and express their texts. To make up a hypothetical, could one adapt the text of 'Christus factus est' and adapt it to the music for 'Puer natus est nobis' and then say it was appropriate for Palm Sunday? I think not. Yet, chant also has certain formulaic melodies that are used for a wide range of texts (think psalm tones).

Part of this is art and taste, about which it is notoriously difficult to make sweeping judgments or all-encompassing rules. But part of it is about how human brains work, learning a certain text with a specific melody, associating them strongly, and making them very difficult to disentangle.
  • GavinGavin
    My point was IF the tune was associated with that text instead. I'd like to stay to my question, since I think it's a good one: how do we, in an objective manner, decide the suitability of a text for a given Mass on a given day?
  • O Come All Ye Faithful; Joyful and triumphant,
    O come ye, O come ye to Bethlehem.
    Come and behold Him,; Born the King of Angels;
    O come, let us adore Him, Christ the Lord.

O Sing, choirs of angels, Sing in exultation,
    Sing all that hear in heaven God's holy word.
    Give to our Father glory in the Highest;

All Hail! Lord, we greet Thee, Born this happy morning,
    O Jesus! for evermore be Thy name adored.
    Word of the Father, now in flesh appearing;

Adeste Fideles or "Portuguese Hymn" depending upon your preferred attribution.

Keeping to what I hope is the thrust of the thread- appropriate (aptus?) use of the foreign hymn in lieu of a Proper antiphon/psalm verses- I would ask:
    1. Does the cultural and supposed historical perspective of this hymn supercede its theological attributes? For example, are phrases such as "O come ye to Bethlehem" or "born this happy morning" only to be regarded as contextually appropriate for the feast and event of the Nativity?
    2. If your answer is yes to #1, do you apply the same logic or discretion to the use of "Jesus Christ is Ris'n Today" (mentioned earlier) or even the more subtle "The Strife is O'er?" (or the Memorial Acclamation "A" FTM?)
    3. Certain hymntunes such as Noel Nouvelet have been wedded to both Nativity and Resurrection-based texts. Theologically, some folks have argued in support of this "marriage" because it systematically or perhaps subconsciously maintains an important association between the events that define the Incarnation.
    4. If a hymn/tune&text such as "O Come All ye Faithful" is programmed elsewhere in the calendar besides the Christmas/Epiphany seasons, and any congregant evidences some form of cognitive dissonance with that, is that necessarily a bad thing? (Certainly, one is obligated to state that it categorically/conditionally could be a "bad thing.")
    5. If these factors are considered purposefully by a DM deciding the suitability of a text or tune for a given day, is that consideration in the better interest of FCAP than the mindless, convenient programming of "Gather Us In" or "Are All Welcome" because of its supposed "function," recommendation from its publishers' "guides," or popularity?
    Not fishing here, just wondering what you all think about these aspects.
  • GavinGavin
    And as a further question, perhaps more to the point of Dobszay's chapter, is there some objective measure by which it can be established that the propers ARE the most suitable choice, outside of legislation which says so? Dobszay backs it up convincingly by referring to the continuity between readings and propers. But others say that such continuity is not necessary, as the Whitsuntide (how often do you get to say that?) propers have little to do with the readings, and anyway music that fits it only "corresponds to the priest's personality." So why are the propers the most appropriate text for the Mass of the day?
  • RagueneauRagueneau
    Just FYI, the celebrant's "Dominus Vobiscum" and "Oremus" at the beginning of Offertory is a REMNANT of the Prayer of the Faithful.
  • G
    Tunes can often (not always) have strong associations with their texts. Just a few weeks ago at my parish we sang a hymn whose first line was 'Go make of all disciples' to a tune I have long associated with the text 'The day of resurrection, earth tell it out abroad' (Tune name, Ellacombe, if I recall correctly). The whole time we were singing this hymn, I was thinking, 'but it's not Easter'. Appropriate? I think not.

But not everyone makes that association.
    Yes, some pairings of tune and text are so widespread and beloved as to seem virtually universal, but even those associations can change over time.
    And besides I am NOT willing to concede NETTLETON to the scrapheap of history...

(Save the Liturgy, Save the World)
  • GavinGavin
    Amen to Nettleton, G! Rip "Sing a New Church" out of your hymnal and tape in "Come Thou Font of Every Blessing"!
  • Mark M.Mark M.
    (A little late entry into the discussion here.) I've been pleased to sing Fr. Samuel Weber's English settings of the Propers for a few weeks now. But looking ahead to the 27th Sunday OT, I'm a little reluctant to be intoning "…and he destroyed all his substance and his children, and wounded his flesh also with a grievous ulcer" for the Offertory. Maybe I should just tough it out, but I'm inclined to go "alius cantus aptus" here.
  • Ha!
  • Mark,

In the modern Graduale, at least, there seems to be a connection between the offertory and the communion of the day.

This isn’t so surprising given that the Job offertory is one of the exceptions to an otherwise almost-regular order of psalmic offertories.
  • francis
    OK... trying to finish up my book, 'What Should We Be Singing Now?' and I have a question that has been brought to my attention.

Is there anything to back up the thinking that the four options in the GIRM are in order of importance and should be applied that way, and not just on equal footing? Or is number 4 just as viable or 'good' or 'preferred' as number one? (reading Dobszay now...)
  • I thought the Collection of Masses of the Blessed Virgin Mary was more explicit when it comes to the order of importance. But I'm not sure and I have to look it up (I have no hard copy to my disposal right now...)
  • francis
    From a theology professor I have gotten this wonderful piece of wisdom:

"...where there is a list in a church document, the context usually makes it clear that the meaning is: "First, you have this; or, in substitution, you have this; or, if you can't do that or there's some special reason, do this," etc. That is, there's a way in which the options are equal, perhaps, but there is still an order for a reason. It is not a random list. The ultimate argument is actually traditional practice as codified in Vatican II's Sacrosanctum Concilium. In other words, there is a preference for that which is in accord with tradition and the Magisterium. The GIRM is not the highest-level magisterial document; there are others that control the interpretation of it.

For our purposes, it IS the authoritative document; it controls how the OF is celebrated. My point was only that if there is a dispute about the meaning of the GIRM itself, naturally one has to look elsewhere -- to conciliar and papal documents, interventions of the CDWDS, and, of course, to Catholic tradition, which is always a reference point, although not sufficient by itself."
  • incantuincantu
    Here's a message I wrote to a colleague in response to this question:

Some time ago you asked me about the implicit preference suggested by the ordering of options for things like the Entrance, Offertory, and Communion songs in the GIRM. I've just come across something in print that makes this clear:

"A preference for singing many parts of the Mass is expressed in the new Instruction by the introduction of the phrase “is either sung or recited” at the profession of faith (137), the Lamb of God (155), Preface (216), the Kyrie (125) and the Gloria" (from The Theological Vision of Sacrosanctum Conciliumand the Roman Missal, Committee on Divine Worship).

This quotation proves that the preference for singing various parts of the Mass is expressed in the liturgical document in question by the phrase "is either sung or recited." How can a phrase that offers two options be said to express a preference for one over the other? The only possible answer is the order in which they are given. If the preference were for speaking, the document would say "is either spoken or sung."

The same logic can be applied to other options for the Mass. In the case of the processional propers, this is even more clear. Option one is a song that was specifically chosen (or reaffirmed) by the Church for a particular celebration with the reordering of the Graduale Romanum in 1974 (well after the close of the Council). The second option is a chant from a book called the Graduale Simplex. That this book is a "simpler" alternative to the preferred first choice is clear from both title and the inscription "for use in smaller churches." The third option allows for liturgical chant that is not proper to the Mass itself (examples would include Office antiphons, liturgical hymns, and proper chants from other Mass formularies) but is nonetheless suitable for divine worship. The forth option, which encompasses the other three, is the least specific, with the only requirement that the selection be "appropriate" (and, of course, approved by the local authority).

Given the arrangement of the processional options from the most specific (and therefore most appropriate) to the least specific, and the affirmation by the CDW of the explicit preference made by the ordering in options in the GIRM, I can see no other reading than that the proper of the Mass is the first choice, and that devotional hymns and other religious music foreign to the liturgy are permitted only when necessary as a last choice. Since these revisions to the Missal came about as a result of the Second Vatican Council and are fully in line with its spirit, and since the current GIRM reaffirms the importance of the participation of the congregation, one can conclude that the congregation participates most fully when the preferred options are followed.

If you need further proof, draw yourself a Venn diagram of the four options.
  • Liam
    By the same token, in GIRM 48, one would need also to consider the triaging of preferences in: "The singing at this time is done either alternately by the choir and the people or in a similar way by the cantor and the people, or entirely by the people, or by the choir alone."
  • miacoyne
    Also, notice that the order is consistent for Entrance, Offertory and Communion. If the Church didn't want the first option to be preferred, would she be insisting to place it in that order?
    Moreover, it is already mentioned that Gregorian chant has the first place in the Roman Liturgy in the document. (as well as in her tradition.)
  • DougS
    Incantu's logical explanation (most specific to least) is more convincing to me than "the order makes it so," because as Liam suggests, the last option from the opening sentence of GIRM 48 (choir alone) is the one many prefer for the performance of the Propers.
  • miacoyne
    I think they all add up. There are also degrees of the congregation participation. Ist degrees are responses of the dialogues, 2nd is Ordinary parts and the 3rd degree is the Proper, and the 3rd degree may not be done without the 1st and the 2nd. So it seems to me that "choir alone' may be 'preferred,' but also more 'realistic' by many parishes who have Introit sung by the choir.