Dobszay and “alius cantus aptus”
  • Liam
    Paraleipsis
  • miacoyne
    Francis, does your priest chant? If he does, I think it will make so much easier to restore other parts, such as bringing chant Ordinaries, introducing Propers (even the simple English Propers). When the priest chants his parts, the congregation almost automatically chant their parts (even those who are reluctant to sing). The congregation will have enough to sing (in addition to singing their 'responses' and Ordinaries, and you probably have a couple of hymns such as communion and/or recessional), so they don't miss singing the Propers ? (I really think the congregation have more than enough to sing this way and don't really see any advantage of pressuring the congregation sing more than that. So in the true Sung Mass where the priest chant, the choir or schola has their special role in the liturgy, as well as the priest and the congregation, and the whole Mass is lifted as one beautiful canticle. To me this is the beauty of the Sung Mass of Latin rite, and it supports the holy sacrament that is distinctive from the protestant worship service. )
  • francis
    One reason I wrote the book I am getting ready to publish is to educate those who can effect change in parishes. We are slowly turning the music program back to what the Church desires, little by little, but in January we lost our pastor who brought me out here specifically to introduce hymn singing. This parish only ever did guitar for fifteen years or longer, so this parish has definitely been my greatest challenge by far. Pray for us so that our new pastor will want to promote authentic liturgy. I have already spoke to our present priest about chanting the prayers in the new Missal. Hopefully he will truly want to do it.
  • miacoyne
    Francis, I will pray for you, your parish and the new pastor. The Church is giving a beautiful gift of the new translation. This advent can be a great opportunity to bring more sacred music in many OF parishes.

Most of us here already know these sites, but just in case. Here are the two most important sites for this opportunity.

Tutorial Videos on the New Missal Chants
    http://www.chantcafe.com/2010/09/tutorial-videos-on-new-missal-chants.html

Simple Propers of the Mass (Ordinary Form)
    http://musicasacra.com/simple-propers-of-the-mass-ordinary-form/
  • francis
    Yes... I will be promoting both Chabanel and SEP through my book along with other wonderful resources. The church at large needs everything that all of you have for them. I have built a special page on my website that promotes unrestricted resources to promote the coming new era directly related to the introduction of the new missal.

You can see the preliminary page here.

http://www.romancatholicsacredmusic.com/dolr.html

People are already saying they want to order multiple copies of the book for their parishes and I want to make it as powerpacked as possible. If I get it finished by March 1 I will soft publish it on one of the POD sites. Everyone here has been very instrumental in the content as we have been fermenting and distilling the message of the reform for years. I am grateful to everyone who contributes here, the people of CMAA, and those who are so dedicated to our Holy Mother Church. This book will be a testament to all of your devotion and dedication to the patrimony of our most wonderful liturgy and the art of musica sacra.
  • smvanroodesmvanroode
    A couple of weeks ago, I said here -- in response to Francis' question about the four options in the GIRM being in order of importance -- that I thought the Collection of Masses of the Blessed Virgin Mary was more explicit when it comes to the order of importance. I'm afraid this is something for the Dutch dioceses only. At the end of the Collection, in the Dutch edition there is a list of approved hymns, which is preceded by the following words:

Bij het uitkiezen van gezangen kunnen de liederen naar inhoudelijke herkomst en bron onderverdeeld worden in de volgende categorieën, welke ook de volgorde in voorrang aangeven (vgl. SC 121). Bij de eerste vier groepen kan men onderscheid maken in: a) vertaling, b) parafrase, c) allusie.
    1. De voorkeur dient uit de gaan naar gezangen met de voorziene liturgische tekst uit het betreffende misformulier (met name bij de antifoon bij de intrede, de antifoon bij de communie, de antwoordpsalm en het vers voor het evangelie).
    2. Waar deze ontbreken kan men andere gezangen nemen, allereerst psalmen en bijbelse cantieken, omdat deze van oudsher tot nu toe de belangrijkste plaats innemen in de liturgie.
    3. Vervolgens komen gezangen in aanmerking met andere bijbelse teksten (vertaling of bewerking).
    4. Vervolgens dienen de liederen te stammen uit de liturgische bronnen.
    5. Tenslotte kunnen de gezangen inhoudelijk vrije tekstcomposities zijn, waarbij wel in acht genomen moet worden dat ze expliciet uiting zijn van het katholieke geloof en geschikt zijn voor de betreffende liturgische plaats en functie.
    Waar toonzettingen op liturgische teksten ontbreken, verdient het aanbeveling dat deze worden gemaakt.

This is a quick translation:

When choosing songs, the songs, according to origin and source, are divided into the following categories, which also indicate the order of precedence (cf. SC 121). In the first four groups, one can distinguish between: a) translation, b) paraphrase, c) allusion.
    1. Preference should be given to the singing of the assigned liturgical texts, given by the corresponding mass formulary (especially the antiphon at the entrance, the antiphon at the communion, the responsorial psalm and the verse before the Gospel).
    2. When these are lacking, one can take other chants, first and foremost psalms and biblical canticles, because these traditionally have the most important place in the liturgy.
    3. Then chants are considered with other biblical texts (translation or paraphrase).
    4. Subsequently, the songs are from the liturgical sources.
    5. Finally, the songs can be free text compositions with regard to their contents, provided they are an explicit expression of the Catholic faith and are suitable for the given location and liturgical function.
    When musical compositions of liturgical texts are missing, it is recommended that they are made.