Any Hymn to St. Matthew?
  • Our parish anniversary is coming up and I am trying to find a hymn or salute to St. Matthew. Does anyone know of any?? With music/score sheet if possible?
    Thanked by 1Chrism
  • tomjaw
    Would one in Latin do!?

• Most certainly, I'm open to all!
  • tomjaw
    Have had a quick look and have found a few possibilities, have only got the text so far, will have to see what melodies are suitable. When do you need the music / score? I can then see what I can do.
  • The pastor would like options soon, within a week or two would be my interpretation. Thank you for checking into this tomjaw!
  • CHGiffenCHGiffen
    "He sat to watch o'er customs paid" no. 281 in The Hymnal 1982. The tune is BRESLAU, although any Long Metre tune will do.

"By all your saints still striving" no. 231 or 232 in The Hymnal 1982 (insert appropriate verse for St. Matthew as the second verse). The tunes are KING'S LYNN (231) and NYLAND (232). The metre is 76. 76. D, which makes PASSION CHORALE ("O sacred Head") a suitable subsitute. The harmonization of KING'S LYNN in the Lutheran Service Book, no. 517, is quite good,
  • hartleymartin
    I use aurelia for by all your saints still striving. Seems to encourage congregational singing more than other hymn tunes.
  • These would be usable if we were not looking for an entire hymn devoted to St. Matthew (pastor's request). Any suggestions?
  • CHGiffenCHGiffen
    I don't understand. "He sat to watch..." is a hymn devoted completely to St. Matthew. And "By all your saints..." with the St. Matthew verse is what I took to mean a salutary hymn to St. Matthew; however, you could omit the surrounding first and third stanzas and use only the St. Matthew verse as a single stanza hymn.
    Thanked by 1paulthomasmay
  • "He sat to watch.." indeed might work, I will pitch it to him. My pastor is almost to the point of making me write a brand new hymn for this anniversary--a complete hymn to St. Matthew would be the way to go I'm guessing..
  • tomjaw
    Reviving an old thread...

Have discovered another 2 Hymns to St. Matthew, O Verbum Fidelissimum (re-typeset see link below) and Lex sacra jam egreitur (should be added later today)

There is also an Adam of St. Victor Sequence, Jucundare plebs fidelis, I now have the Latin text the English Translation, and the melody kindly transcribed by Christopher McAvoy, who I believe is on this Forum. I hope to typeset the Latin text with this transcription soon.

I am also working on the melody for another Sequence, Nova Dies set Allata.

http://societyofstbede.wordpress.com/2014/09/21/st-matthew-apostle-and-evangelist/
  • Reviving this thread again. In addition to the above suggestions, are there other Saint Matthew hymns in English?
  • Proper Hymns
  • Thank you, monasteryliturgist. This is perfect!
    Thanked by 1monasteryliturgist