Rossini -- Fifty Motets for the Liturgical Year
  • irishtenoririshtenor
    Does anyone know where to find a copy of this? I searched WorldCat, but that only turned up one copy in The British Library. Maybe I didn't search effectively?
    Thanked by 1Don9of11
  • My attempts to search for this particular book have had no better success. It does NOT help the matter that there is a present day composer named Carlo Rossini. When the search engine returns pages of results.... I wear out of looking at the entries quickly! Who knows what might be found if we had sufficient time and patience!

Does anyone have a copy of this book?
    OR
    Does anyone know someone who has a copy of this book?
    OR
    Does anyone know anyone who knows someone who has a copy of this book?
  • irishtenoririshtenor
    I have asked the librarian at the local seminary to attempt to get this book through interlibrary loan. I promise to keep you updated as to our progress.

I feel like it would be surprising if these motets are not excellent and at least moderately accessible, non? Has anyone used these before? Seen these before? Heard these before?
  • oldhymnsoldhymns
    Do you know if this is the exact title of the book: FIFTY MOTETS FOR THE LITURGICAL YEAR?

I have Carlo Rossini's PAROCHIAL HYMNAL, THE LITURGICAL ORGANIST (in six volumes), and LAUDATE PUERI DOMINUM. The latter is "A collection of 100 hymns and motets and as easy Mass for unisonous chorus."

You might try the Music Library at Catholic University of America and the "Liturgy and Life Collection" in Special Collections at the Boston College Library.
    Thanked by 1Don9of11
  • The exact title from WorldCat:

Oremus. Fifty motets for the liturgical year for soprano, alto and baritone with organ, etc.

Publication year: 1962
    Publisher: J. Fischer & Bro.
    OCLC: 497338127
    Thanked by 1irishtenor
  • There aren't a lot of non-WorldCat libraries in the US. There's no record in SkyRiver for this (major alternative cataloging system to OCLC), and anybody who had it would most likely have catalogued this before SkyRiver. The best hope would be a private source, and it would be great if a private source contributed a copy to a library that knew what to do with it (Duquesne perhaps) instead of just tossing it.. The problem is that 60s publications didn't have a lot of time to propagate before V2, and became obsolete with the new Missal. And most of these are still covered by copyright.
  • melofluentmelofluent
    I'll take the heat for straying off topic, but is their a liturgical or academic (or both) at the heart of this query? I have had the Rossini propers for decades I never once would have considered them for consistent use under what is now the OF.
    If one wants "motet" collections that are suited to where we are, I would invest in either/both the Richard Rice Choral Communio collection, or the Kevin Allen series. Simply stated, I believe them superior music.
  • Heath
    Many of Rossini's pieces can be found here:

http://www.quilisma-publications.info/00 - Codex Budensis.html

BTW, Bud Clark, the progenitor of the above site, is in pretty bad health. Please pray for him.
  • GavinGavin
    The Codex Budensis is an incredible resource. Sadly, I had forgotten about it up until now!
  • irishtenoririshtenor
    MeloCalifornian,

I would say that it's both a liturgical and an academic query. I'm not looking for the Rossini propers, which I believe are available in PDF from this venerable institution, but for accessible motets for 3 voices. I like a lot of Richard Rice's music, and we utilize his Simple Choral Gradual with regularity. Kevin Allen's music is certainly of unimpeachable quality, but I'm not sure it's in the budget to purchase his scores for the whole choir yet.

I'm looking for this mainly because I'm 1) curious about what's in it, and 2) because I think it might be a useful book of motets.

Do you think it is unlikely to have liturgically appropriate, moderate-easy difficulty, SAB, Latin-text motets of at least moderate quality?
  • melofluentmelofluent
    IT, with certainty I think it most wise to have many sources for SAB or even S/T or W/M motets. I just find the increased interest in all things Rossini quite charming actually, especially since we sang in his venerable church for two summers!
  • irishtenoririshtenor
    I am definitely one of those who is exhibiting an increased interest in Rossini-related items! Just purchased one of the volumes of his Liturgical Organist series, from what I can tell, a very practical book to have near the organ bench!
  • Heath, even using the Wayback Machine to look for Bud's site, I am getting this too-cutesy "This site has stepped out for a while" page. I'll keep going back on Wayback Machine and see if I can find the site intact at any pass.

Any more news on Bud?
  • Heath
    I think he handed the site off to someone else . . . let's see here . . . try this:

http://www.lakewoodsound.com/quilisma/index.htm

Bud has many, many health problems. Continue to pray for him.
  • I know one EF parish which has been using the Rossini propers consistently. Is it ideal? No. But when you have volunteers with good voices and poor reading skills, sometimes it's the best you can do.
  • Felicity
    irishtenor,

1. Have you had any luck in getting Oremus. Fifty motets for the liturgical year for soprano, alto and baritone with organ, etc. through interlibrary loan?
    ------------------------------------------------------------------
    2. You said in one of your posts that you were looking "for accessible motets for 3 voices."

a. Would you be interested in Cantate Domino: Prima Anthologia Melodica (liturgica): CXLV Cantus sacri tribus vocibus eqaualibus quos composuit vel transcripsit Sac. Carlo Rossini" 1930? I have this book and would be glad to scan it.

b. Would you be interested in Psallite Domino: Secunda Anthologia Liturgica (Polyphonica) For Three Equal Voices 1953 by Carlo Rossini? I also have this book and would be glad to scan it.
    -------------------------------------------------------------------
    3. In another of your posts you stated: " Just purchased one of the volumes of his Liturgical Organist series, from what I can tell, a very practical book to have near the organ bench!" I have all seven volumes and I consider them all very practical.

I have Xerox copies of Rossini's Ecclesiastical Organist (both vol. 1 & vol. 2) as well as an original of Rossini's Gregorian Organist. Personally, I consider these 3 volumes even more valuable. I would be happy to furnish pdf(s) of any of these three.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------
    Felicity
    Thanked by 2Bill veromary
  • chonakchonak
    As it happens, I have Rossini's "Canticum Novum" (115 two-part motets and hymns, 1935), but only the vocal score. If anyone has the organ score, would it be worthwhile to scan them?
    Thanked by 1Don9of11
  • irishtenoririshtenor
    Felicity,

1. The library which has it in its collection has thus far refused to lend it out through ILL, unfortunately.

2. I would love copies of those books! PM me and I'll send you my email address. Thank you!

3. Oh, wow! I would be very grateful for these, as well.

Thank you so very much. This forum amazes me on a daily basis :)
  • irishtenoririshtenor
    I'd love to see "Canticum Novum" if you are able to share that, as well, chonak.
  • oldhymnsoldhymns
    I have EXALTATE DEUM, 150 Offertories, Motets, and Hymns for the Entire Ecclesiastical Year for SATB by Rossini (1941).
    Thanked by 1Chrism
  • irishtenoririshtenor
    You able to share, oldhymns?
  • oldhymnsoldhymns
    Yes, Irish Tenor, I can send it to you. I also have the accompaniment book for CANTICUM NOVUM but need to locate it.
  • Bill
    I have Canticum Novum both Choral and accompaniment scanned and enlarged to 8.5 x 11.
    You can reach me at billatstmarymusic@gmail.com
  • donr
    Is there a chance we can have them posted to the CMAA "Music PDF's"
    I would love to have all of the above material as well.
  • chonakchonak
    donr, it depends on the copyright status.
  • Bill
    I have software I use for restoring old and damaged music. I have completed the Rossini 50 Motets.
    What was done:
    Pages straightened
    Skewed pages due to scanning problems were corrected
    Missing notes and words were added.
    Cosmetic work (dust, smudges, odd bits of ink, etc.)
    All pages were sized to 8.5” x 11” (my choir appreciates the larger images!)
    I have included the 1st Sunday of Advent. If this is what you are looking for, I have the complete book ready.

I have always enjoyed Fr. Rossini’s works. Canticum Novum was a staple at my last church’s Tridentine Mass.

Please let me know if you are interested. I can send a sample, but as the images were high resolution, the size is huge. I can provide a Dropbox link to download the complete book.

Bill Antoniak
    Music Director, St. Mary Church
    Urbana, OH
    billatstmarymusic@gmail.com
  • Your scans look great. What software do you use to do the clean-up? I use Photoshop Elements.
  • Bill
    I am using Photoshop. i have a number of actions that, when chained together, can do most of the work on hundreds of pages at a time. I usually straighten them one at a time and them crop them and let the actions take care of the rest.
  • Bill, I would be interested in a copy.
  • Idem
  • francis
    looking for Cantate Domino pdf, which, I believe, is the title of the pub containing the 50 motets... anyone?
  • Don9of11Don9of11
    I have a copy of "Canticum Novum" by Rossini in PDF format. I could send to anyone who needs it. My copy is for SA, T I, II, or T and B.

Edit-- I ment to say I have an original singer edition and pdf version of the accompaniment.
    Thanked by 1francis
  • Hello Don9of11, I have just started working with an EF Schola and just don't have male voices yet. I would bgretaly appreciate receiving Canticum Novum by Rossini in PDF format. Here is my email address: stpaulmusdir@gmail.com. Thank you for any assistance. Heidi
    Thanked by 1Don9of11
  • ServiamScores
    Thanked by 2Don9of11 Felicia
  • ghmus7
    also have you looked on ISMLP
  • irishtenoririshtenor
    Wait, what are folks looking for? I have a lot of Rossini PDFs