Hymns for All Souls?
  • marajoymarajoy
    Anyone have any suggestions of hymns that would be good to use on All Souls?

(Yes, I am fully aware that the propers exist and are ideal - that is not my question, so please don't sidetrack the discussion arguing about that.)

I would like some ideas to steer me in the direction away from the, ahem, "American funeral standards."
  • melofluentmelofluent
    Be still my soul (FINLANDIA)
    Fly like a bird (Ken Canedo-OCP)
    In Every Age (Janet Sullivan Whitaker)
    In paradisum
  • Help, Lord, the souls which thou has made (words by J H Newman)
    Thanked by 2oldhymns Don9of11
  • Kathy
    Remember those O Lord
    Jerusalem, My Happy Home
    I Heard the Voice of Jesus Say

Shameless self-promotion: Holy God, Forget Thine Anger from my collection http://www.canticanova.com/catalog/products/g_hymns_lit_year.htm
    Thanked by 1Gavin
  • Ye Souls Of The Faithful (Ave Maria Hymnal) 6-verses. Love the text in this one.
    http://catholicharboroffaithandmorals.com/Purgatory Index.html

Miseremini (text from Book of Job)

Languentibus in Purgatorio (chant) - In a previous thread about Holy Souls chant, one of the forum members had sent me this. That discussion can be found here:
    http://forum.musicasacra.com/forum/discussion/comment/79894#Comment_79894
    http://forum.musicasacra.com/forum/uploads/FileUpload/c2/0f7ad6823eb681be8676a7689b9563.pdf
  • Here is the Hymn list I'm using on All Souls-

All Souls Day (7pm Friday night)
    Processional: I Heard The Voice Of Jesus Say-# 768-RitualSong
    Psalm: The Lord Is My Shepherd- Carey Landry Setting
    Preparation: Lord Of All Hopefulness-#713-RitualSong
    Mass Of Christ The Savior- (Blue Hymnal)
    Communion: I Am The Bread Of Life- # 931-RitualSong
    Recessional: I Know That My Redeemer Lives-#582-RitualSong
  • Pie Jesu
    De Profundis
  • GavinGavin
    The King of Love My Shepherd Is
  • BenBen
    propers! Don't you know you should be using propers, marajoy? :D

On a more helpful note, there is a list of hymn suggestions here that may be helpful.

http://www.canticanova.com/planning/year-b/plnasl_m.htm
  • Adam WoodAdam Wood
    Hymn, based on an amalgamation of the funeral propers.
    (Forgive the sentimentality in v3, unless you like that sort of thing- in which case, You're Welcome.)

Eternal Rest grant them, we pray
    and shine the light of endless day.
    Appoint for them a place with those
    who in you died, and in you rose.

Lord Jesus Christ, our Glorious King
    protect their souls from suffering.
    Deliver them from darkness deep,
    and give the angels guard to keep.

Receive our prayer and offering,
    the tears we shed, the songs we sing.
    Accept our sacrifice today
    to aide the souls for whom we pray.

With them, and with us, Lord be near.
    To you we cry, bend down your ear-
    For in your mercy there is light,
    You make the darkness ever bright.

Praise God from whom all blessings flow
    Praise Him, all creatures here below.
    Praise Him above, ye Heavenly Host
    Praise Father, Son, and Holy Ghost.

(or another metrical doxology...)
  • marajoymarajoy
    Thanks, I don't know why I didn't think of CNP.
    I also just feel like there's some really obvious song about Purgatory or something that I'm missing... I guess no one else has thought of it yet either? ( <----that should sort-of be in the "joking" font.)
  • Kathy
    Remember those O Lord (Adoremus hymnal) is exactly a Purgatory song.
  • marajoymarajoy
    ^^^ unfortunately not one that is found in the mainstream publishers' hymnals. :-(
  • Could I suggest "Lead Kindly Light" of Cardinal Newman?

"Jesus, My Lord, My God, My All"? ( ...had I but Mary's sinless heart, with which to love Thee, dearest king")

Is part of the problem that in our funerals we canonize the deceased, and so we don't have a good set of hymns imploring prayers for the deceased.

What about a litany? You could take the CHANT setting of "For the Sake of His Sorrowful Passion" (from the Divine Mercy Chaplet) and sing that.

Is there a good setting you have of the Nunc Dimittis?

Thanked by 1oldhymns
  • Kathy
    For OCP-ers, howzabout Fr. Joncas' With the Lord? It's a setting of Psalm 130 (de profundis)
    Thanked by 1Gavin
  • melofluentmelofluent
    Interesting suggestion, Kathy. I've found this one a useful tune for many occasions, though it is clearly emuative of JMJ's "Michel Legrand" phase. But I've always been a sucker for Legrand, and the PIPs sing the living stuffing out of the refrain. Nice push.
  • "By All Your Saints Still Striving" by Horation Bolton Nelson. Set to "Aurelia" it is a dead easy piece, and is very congregational.
  • matthewjmatthewj
    Remember Those O Lord is also in the Canadian hymnal for any of our friends above the border.
  • ghmus7
    I am surprised than no one suggested "In Paradisum" In many Catholic hymnals.
  • melofluentmelofluent
    Errr (hand raised meekly)...check above, right outta da gate, ghmus7.
    "No one" will be my next intertube handle.
  • We had "I Know that My Redeemer Lives" for my Aunt's funeral. I am worried about using Landry's stuff as the Psalm. I would rather use something from the Parish Book of Psalms.
  • That setting by Landry is actually very simple and sounds pretty good. (If it's the one I am thinking about)
  • That Landry psalm setting I am using is actually the "Good Shepherd" Psalm I think (?). I don't have it on hand here, it's at the church. I use it for funerals cause I'm tired of Shepherd Me O God and while I don't use Landry music 99.9% of the time, his setting of psalm 23 is very easy and text appropriate. The piece is in E flat and in 3/4 time. I never use Landry music at weekend masses, it's just not appropriate in my opinion and very very very dated!!!
  • Yep that's the one: Psalm of the Good Shepherd