Holy Souls Chant
  • Does anyone have knowledge of an existing organ accompaniment for the chant, "Languentibus in Purgatorio?"

I will also repeat my question from a previous thread: What about an organ accompaniment for the "Laetabundus" Christmas sequence? Thanks to anyone who can help.
  • I'd love good translations for "Languentibus" and "Laetabundus". My Latin translation skills still leave something to be desired.
  • Adam WoodAdam Wood
    Is Languentibus in the Graduale?
    If so, I should think it'd be in the NOH. No?

http://chabanelpsalms.org/introductory_material/Gregorian_organ_accomp/
  • Adam, I did do just a quick scan of the NOH looking for an accompaniment. If I missed it, could someone let me know?

ClemensRomanus, both of the chants (with translation) can be found in the following Musica Sacra source. They are on pages 100-105.
    http://media.musicasacra.com/pdf/chantsofchurch.pdf

There is also a modern notation pdf of "Chants of the Church."
    http://media.musicasacra.com/books/chantsofchurch_modern.pdf
  • Here is another translation of "Laetabundus" taken from http://liturgialatina.blogspot.com/2010/12/laetabundus.html. Its pointed reference to the Jews might cause some discussion.

The Sequence Laetabundus, for the Mass of Christmas, is not found in the Tridentine Roman Missal. It was found in all the Gallican Missals, including those of France, and the English Sarum Usage; and is also in the Dominican and Carmelite Missals.

For a long time it was thought to have been written by St Bernard: but Dom Gueranger notes that he had seen it in a Manuscript of the eleventh century, and consequently it must have been written earlier than the date usually assigned to it.

Let the choir of all the faithful exult in their joy. Alleluia.The Virgin’s womb hath given us the King of Kings! O wonderful mystery!
    The Angel of the great Counsel is born of the Virgin, the Sun is born of a Star!
    The Sun knows no setting; the Star is ever shining, ever bright.
    As a star gives forth its ray, so does the Virgin her Child.
    The star loses naught of its purity by the ray it yields, so neither does the Virgin by her Child.
    The lofty cedar of Libanus comes down into our valley, making itself little as the hyssop.
    He that is the Word of the Most High God deigns to take a body unto himself; he assumes our flesh.
    Isaias had foretold all this; and the Jews, though they knew the prophecy by heart, see not its accomplishment in this mystery.
    If they will not believe their Prophets, let them believe the Sybils, who thus sang:
    ‘Unhappy people, delay not, believe, at least, the ancient oracles! Why wilt thou be cast off, O wretched nation?
    This is the Child of whom thy books tell thee: he is the Son of a Virgin-Mother.’
    Amen.

• A second translation for "Languentibus in Purgatorio":

LANGUENTIBUS IN PURGATORIO

Those languishing in Purgatory,
    who are purified in a fire beyond measure,
    and are tormented in grevious suffering,
    may your compassion relieve: O Mary!

You are the clear fountain that washes sins away,
    you assist all and reject none;
    extend your hand to the dead,
    who languish under continual pains: O Mary!

The dead piously sigh unto you,
    longing to be delivered from their pains,
    and to be present in your sight,
    and fully to enjoy eternal joys: O Mary!

Hasten, O Mother, to those lamenting,
    show your Heart of mercy;
    obtain that Jesus by his wounds
    may vouchsafe to heal them: O Mary!

You the true hope of those crying out to you;
    the multitude of members cry out to you
    for their brethren, that you may appease your Son,
    and he may give them the heavenly reward: O Mary!

Impart those tears that you consider good things,
    which we pour out at the feet of the Judge;
    may they now extinguish the might of the avenging fire,
    that (the dead) may be joined to the angelic choirs: O Mary!

And when the just examination shall take place,
    at the awesome judgment of God,
    entreat your Son judging,
    that our portion may be with the saints: O Mary!

From Magnificat, November 2007
    Translated from Latin hymn by James Monti

Thanked by 1ClemensRomanus
  • tomjaw
    An accompaniment for Laetabundus can be found in Laudate Dominum, Will have to dig out my copy and scan it.

• Oh, EXCELLENCE! Wherever do you find that copy, ossian1898?

If you can locate that copy, tomjaw, I will, no doubt, engage in my "happy dance."
  • Someone here on the forums sent it to me about two years ago, after I had asked about it. Now its your turn to pass it along.
    Thanked by 1expeditus1
  • I've yet to hear a recording of Languentibus on the internet.
  • Ora, our children's choir will be chanting this for one of our November Masses. Here is a recording I found (scroll down to November 2nd):
    http://www.chant-gregorien.com/

Thanked by 1Ora_et_Labora
  • Here you go.
    Thanked by 1expeditus1