"Jesu Dulcis Memoria" in English
  • Heath
    Where can I find a translation of this set to the original chant notation? Well, modern notation would work in a pinch . . . Thanks in advance.
  • RagueneauRagueneau
    i believe WORSHIP has this
  • Heath
    Worship II has it in Latin only; Worship III has the melody with 3 different texts, none of which is Jesu Dulcis . . . hmm.
  • You may find this hymn beautifully translated into English as 'Jesus, the Very Thought of Thee' at no. 462 in The Hymnal 1940 or no. 642 in The Hymnal 1982. Both are, however, set to metrical tunes, so you could copy them out yourself to the plainchant tune. There is another setting to a lovely chant tune (though not, I think, the one you have in mind) which may be found at no. 188 in Hymns Ancient and Modern, revised. If A&M is unavailable to you and you wish to have this setting I could mail you a copy. You may also find the hymn at no. 238 in The English Hymnal, set to a mode I melody in 'square notes'. This, also, I could mail you if you shouldn't have this book available.
  • incantuincantu
    I believe "Jesus The Very Thought Of Thee" is in common meter, so it won't work with the chant tune. Try this:
  • Heath
    incantu:

I don't see the link (or the file, if you attached something).
  • incantuincantu
    Sorry, I decided to be nice and convert the file for you but I had to update my pdf software.
  • Heath
    Perfect!!! God bless you!
  • incantuincantu
    Actually... You might want to download it again since I just fixed a typo in vs. 3. It now reads "Jesu" (vocative case). "Jesus" (objective case) in verse one is correct.
  • Incantu - I was not aware of this translation by Hopkins. It is, of course, wonderful. What is your source for it? You are right about the metre. I realised this after trying it to the 'right tune'. Do you know 'Jesus, Thou Joy of Loving Hearts' at no. 485 in The Hymnal 1940? It is really pleasurable to sing to the Sarum mode I melody and is, though more sacramentally oriented, similar in sentiment to 'Jesu dulcis'. Is there, perhaps, a Hopkins version of this as well?
  • P.S. - The version in Hymns Ancient & Modern (no. 188) and The English Hymnal (no. 238) are tr. by John Mason Neale and bear comparison to the Hopkins. What do you think? They are, also, in LM and thus work with the desired melody; though the Sarum mode I melody with which they are paired is quite nice.
  • Leland
    Aren't both of these centos (centi?) from the same longer work by (or attr.) Bernard of Clairvaux?

Leland
  • G
    Dang, I can't find my Britt.
    I just KNEW dusting and straightening up could only lead to no good...

(Save the Liturgy, Save the World)
  • Here is a translation that a friend and I made when we were twenty-four-year-old seminarians:

1. My Jesus, as I think of you,
    How truly you delight my heart;
    And yet far greater than the goods of earth,
    What joy your presence does impart!

2. No voice can chant more glad a song,
    No ear can hear more deep a sigh,
    No mind conceive a thought more delicate
    Than Jesus, Son of God Most High.

3. How hopeful, Lord, to those who sin,
    To those who seek, how true and kind,
    How good you are to those who search for you,
    But how much more to those who find!

4. No tongue could ever hope to tell,
    No learning ever comprehend;
    To know what loving Jesus truly means
    Belongs to him He claims as friend.

5. O Jesus, be our present joy,
    For ever be our sure reward.
    O let our glory be eternally
    In Jesus’ name, our saving Lord. Amen.

translated by Paul F. Ford and Robert C. Trupia, 1971.
    © Paul F. Ford, 1971. All rights reserved.
  • incantuincantu
    Paul,

It's so refreshing to see a translation that is written as poetry! I think the standard OCP translation goes something like this:

We gather 'round your table, Lord,
    To eat your bread and hear your word,
    More sweet than honey from a honey bear
    on Eggos, is your presence here.

But, in seriousness, even OCP appears to being doing better with translations. This year's Breaking Bread has the Hopkins translation of "Adoro Te," a vast improvement over the verse and refrain adaptation they offered a few years ago. And I recently noticed Dr. Ford's translations of the Salve Regina and the Ave Maria have made their way in there was well. Of course, it's an impossible task to preserve both the traditional melody and the standard translation of these prayers, but at least in this case OCP is starting to work with the right people!
  • OlbashOlbash
    Perhaps, Incantu, OCCCP (sorry, sticky key) will soon call upon YOU to employ your profound gift for dynamic equivalence. Hey, would you please post your famous "God is our God" on this forum some time?

(Incidentally, anytime someone brings up Jesu Dulcis, I always put it a plug for Alfred Fedak's anthem "In Thee Be All Our Glory," which paints the "Jesus, the very thought of Thee" so eloquently and employs the chant melody with astounding grace. One of my choir's favorites!)
  • Heath
    Another recommendation of this English text: Proulx's "Jesu, the Very Thought of Thee", published by GIA. He composed it when he was 19, IIRC. SATB w/divisi, acappella . . . gorgeous.
  • Heath
    Deleted.
  • Donnaswan
    There is a setting of this hymn in Paul Bunjes book called 'Wedding Blessings'. I don't have it to hand at the moment, but def chant. Can't remember who has done the accompaniment- I'm thinking Brahms, but I'm prolly wrong. I love this and do it as a little solo motet occasionally. It starts out "O Jesu joy of loving hearts, Thou fount of life something something. OH, I just found a setting in Ritualsong,#759, but it is to the tune Wareham,not chant.
    Donna
  • I noticed the telltale 'alt.' designation on the pdf version posted above.
    Here's what I *think* is the unaltered Hopkins text.

Jesu, Dulcis Memoria

Jesus to cast one thought upon
    Makes gladness after He is gone,
    But more than honey and honeycomb
    Is to come near and take Him home.

No music so can touch the ear,
    No news is heard of such sweet cheer,
    Thought half so dear there is not one
    As Jesus God the Father's Son.

Jesu, their hope who go astray,
    So kind to those who ask the way,
    So good to those who look for Thee,
    To those who find what must Thou be?

To speak of that no tongue will do
    Nor letters suit to spell it true:
    But they can guess who have tasted of
    What Jesus is and what is love.

Jesu, a springing well Thou art,
    Daylight to head and treat to heart,
    And matched with Thee there' nothing glad
    That men have wished for or have had.

Wish us Good Morning when we wake
    And light us, Lord, with Thy day-break.
    Beat from our brains the thicky night
    And fill the world up with delight.

Who taste of Thee will hunger more,
    Who drink be thirsty as before:
    Wat else to ask they never know
    But Jesus' self they love Him so.

-- -- -- -- -- -- -- --
    And a sweet singing in the ear
    And in the mouth a honey zest
    And drinks of heaven in the breast.

Thou art the hope, Jesu, my sweet,
    The soul has in its sighing-fit;
    The loving tears on Thee are spent,
    The inner cry for Thee is meant.

Be our delight, O Jesu, now
    As by and by our prize art Thou,
    And grant our glorying may be
    World without end alone in Thee.

Daniel Pinkham set the Hopkins text: Eight Poems of Gerard Manley Hopkins ("Jesus to Cast One Thought upon," "Spring, Heaven-Haven," "Pied Beauty," "Strike, churl," "Spring and Fall," "Christmas Day," "Jesu That Dost in Mary Dwell"), for Baritone or Tenor-Baritone and Viola.
    Thanked by 1Heath
  • richardUKrichardUK
    'Jesu, the very thought of thee' is a simple SATB unaccompanied setting by Sir Edward Bairstow, an English composer/organist of York Minster, who died in 1946. It's a beautiful setting, lasting three pages.