Who sings a solo?
  • Ally
  • CharlesW
    I have made peace with the Ave Maria. It was there before me and will be after. It apparently means a great deal to many, so I have thrown in that towel to fight bigger battles.

One of the local churches - not mine, thank goodness - had a pastor, Fr. Joe. We referred to him as, "Broadway Joe." He sang everything, whether his part or not, and quite dramatically. Could have worn a Viking helmet convincingly. Always insisted on the Mass of Creation since he could sing the preface dialog from it. He belonged to a religious order and was finally transferred out of town, where I am sure he is dramatically still using the altar as a stage. Priests - you got to love them, since you can do little with them.
  • matthewjmatthewj
    I once worked for a priest who would leave distribution of Holy Communion to EMs and walk back to the choir loft to sing Franck's Panis Angelicus.

And yes, it does make me uneasy. Have you tried encouraging him to sing the parts of the Mass proper to him?
  • Liam
    "More importantly, what to do?"

Be grateful that you never get to witness his singing it at a funeral (because you would sing it instead of him if you were there, right?).....
    Thanked by 1Ally
  • GavinGavin
    Sounds like it's licit, since one could technically consider it an "announcement", though it is very, very strange...

I actually did run into this once, with a rather bizarre elderly Polish priest. In the middle of Mass, he publicly asked me (with him at the altar and me in the organ loft) if he could sing a "beautiful English hymn" for everyone after Communion. Namely, "Jesus, My Lord, My God, My All". This wasn't the only odd thing, either. He had the congregation re-do the Our Father in Latin, immediately after the English. There was more, but I question if this forum has the memory space for all of his bizarre behavior.

I still can't bring myself to be offended by it, surprisingly. It was just... too funny. And one couldn't help but share his exuberant joy over the Latin texts. But in general, priests should sing the black and not the Schubert.
    Thanked by 1E_A_Fulhorst
  • matthewjmatthewj
    "but the Schubert was printed in black!!!" :)
    Thanked by 3Gavin Ally E_A_Fulhorst
  • I've seen it as part of a homily. Or rather, I've heard it. : )
  • I heard (a recording of) Sinatra's "I Did It My Way" for the first time during a homily. Made an excellent point and I will never forget it - too bad that recordings of that nature are forbidden during Mass. Oops. Ahhhhh the Saginaw days...

Ally: at least he's not asking to sing "Hail Mary, Gentle Woman".....
    Thanked by 1Gavin
  • Liam
    Or Mother Rat...

And for your penance, watch this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t05R4gXClTU
  • MJM, yeah it was scribbled doubtless using black well ink from an octopus. Just as likely as was the tribute poem, rife with rococo superlatives, about the glories of young maidenhood and comely female beauty to which Franzy set his ebb/flow setting. One has to credit Mr. Landry or Mr. Norbert for at least not using the setting as a parody for the devotional prayer. Give me Victoria*, or give me death!

*That would Tomas Luis' setting, not Queen Victoria or Victoria Principal; Wendy'd not appreciate that at all.
  • Oh Liam, thou hast cast sin upon the waters upon which we, thy fellowes and fishers of souls wouldeth wet our nets in Our Lady's most virtuous humility, but yet nee befowled by the stench of Screwtape's secondary dominants and chromatic excesseth which is furthermore besmirched by howling glissandi and mis-shapened oscillations! Whoa to thee, Oh solicitor merchant of such molasses which cunningly beckoneth the soul with feigned sweetness, but mireth it within its blackened void!

Why couldn't the sweet young thing just sing "Stand by your man?"
  • At least...she's been to Cantor 101.
  • IanWIanW
    How do individuals think themselves worthy of imposing on the liturgy?
  • chonakchonak
    She's the music director at her parish, so at least they have a professional doing this.
  • Yeap.
  • Everyone, back away from the thread.....no sudden moves....breathe normally through the nose to the diaphragm....once outside, don't look back inside....forget you were ever here....and say nothing more of this.
    Thanked by 1Liam
  • The celebrant singing a solo is an odd practice. It's happened to me 2-3 times as DoM. Talk about priest as performer! And when are they as good as they think they are.

As far as the video Liam linked, I've seen it before, when someone requested that 30's parlor song at my parish and I searched YouTube. Thanks be to God the pastor let me refuse.

It's interestIng to know some backstory, courtesy of a commenter above. To me it was a good reminder that pro singers can camoflauge their instrument to lots of styles, even drippy styles, and that big money often has nothing to do with good taste in music selection. Especially here in the US, where the nouveau riche constantly soar to new levels of gauche.
    Thanked by 1CHGiffen
  • It's not a 30's parlor song it was on hit parade and was a big seller in the 1950's...it's copyright and out of print, so that tends to limit its use. The Ames Brothers accompanied by organ. Few of you have any idea how much Catholic music was in the mainstream as popular music, including this song, back then. Catholic performers like Bing Crosby put a face on Catholicism in this country that had a very positive effect on Catholics. As did Debbie Reynolds and Eddie Fisher....

• I always thought it sounded like a carousel tune, lol

just waiting to see the horses going up and down, up and down

someone get the pop corn hahaha
  • Yes! A carosel tune- I thought that, too when I heard it!
    Ok, so fine hire a singer to present a short program of devotional Cathoic pop from the 50's or any era at a wake or any type of reception. I have no issue with that. But treating the Mass like one's personal jukebox is another story.

Songs like this are another reminder that all was not well in sacred music land before the council.
    Thanked by 1CHGiffen
  • Ally, back to your original story and question...
    Does the funeral choir know 2-3 Ave Marias from which families might choose? Would a choral Ave Maria satisfy the pastor's rule?

Out of all the lovely settings of that prayer, how in the world did Schubert's Ave become the be all, end all, standard version? Ain't life mysterious? Noel, you've been around if you're talking about the hit parade. Maybe you can shed some light on the overdose of the Schubert Ave.

Oh, and compositional purist that I tend to be (as in unaccompanied chant), I also think the Schubert Ave is clearly intended to be sung with accompaniment. How odd and musicially incomplete it would be if a singer (using the term loosely) went ahead and presented only the melody.
  • CharlesW
    You know, I can live with the video. It's a wedding and after all, it beats some of the secular songs I have heard at weddings.
    Thanked by 1WiesOrganista
  • OMG... the days of Fiddler on the Roof and Bette Midler.

I have done MUCH worse than "Mother At Your Feet". At least I know better now.
  • I just had a childhood flashback!

Picture it: Parisville, Michigan. 1995ish. After the rosary (that was said every week before the 4:00 Mass) there was a man that would sing "Mother At Your Feet" by himself. It used to annoy the hell out of me because I wanted to play prelude music on the organ. Not quite a priest solo, but an odd situation for a Catholic church just the same...
  • CharlesW
    There was a time when those sacharine Marian hymns seemed to be very popular. It wasn't any worse, I guess, than the St. Louis Jesuits phase we all had to endure.
  • Adam WoodAdam Wood
    I would suggest the SLJs, and a great deal of the 1960s/70s stuff was precisely an antidote to that kind of stuff. A lot of people complain that folk music replaced Gregorian Chant, and I have no doubt it did in some places. But the sense I get is that mostly it simply replaced an older style of folk music, and (in many ways) was either an improvement or (at least) no worse.
    Thanked by 1Gavin
  • GavinGavin
    My impression, Adam, is that the SLJ's led a HEAVILY conservative movement, compared to what was going on musically just after the council. The saccharine devotional stuff was replaced by campfire tunes on mimeographed paper, led by incompetent student guitarists. My mother was one of those, in fact. THEN the SLJ's came along, saying it wasn't good enough to sing vaguely religious songs, led by someone without skill. They wanted scriptural texts, traditional (antiphon) form, and trained musicians. I think we tend to forget just how radicalized the music at Mass was for a time, and we forget the SLJ's and their movement were a conservative force - and, as you say, an improvement over what came immediately (and arguably long) before them. Glory and Praise was reactionary - going back to a hymnal!

Mind you, none of this is an apology for the SLJ's, Glory & Praise, or folk music in general. And rather less than related to Adam's overall point.
  • Being yer mom's age, Gavin, there was also the intermediate step between the FEL/WLP folksy stuff and the SLJ's, namely the ecumenical charismatic stuff out of Michigan that jumped the devotional fence into liturgy.
    But I have to concur with both my young colleagues, to paint the SLJ's with the same naif brush is a musical injustice among perhaps others. And the proof of that is simply this, one to which another young genius, JMO, understands greatly in his compositions: Voice leading, especially in bass note movement (what JMO recognizes as going somewhere on purpose) was literally mandated by those five guys from St. Louis. They expressly told guitarists in their collection prefaces to strictly observe their chordal assignments and forbade dumbing down to the first fret, root position chord fingering. And to this day, that is the bane of those of us who still see a place for the guitar at Mass, that since the late 70's, folks fawned over the SLJ's and their successors, but never took it upon themselves to better their skills.
    Whether it's figured basso continuo, jazz complex chords or "Turn to me," a real musician ought least to respect the composer's expressed intent, or better it. But never stifle it.
  • Ally
    MaryAnn,
    The pastor just wants that one. Not even the Bach/Gounod. I would love if they could choose, but the cantor (SSND on staff) and I have already approached him about this. Not everyone loves the Ave Maria, especially the Schubert, and it doesn't need to be there, and we could do something else, etc. But he insisted that it is a "perfect way to lift up our prayer after communion".

There are many other problems with music selection (the first 6 funerals we had with him were BNA, Toolan, Schubert, OEW...in that order every time...I was pretty ticked) which is why we approached him. Since he came, he has left me out of the music selection process for funerals, so I have NO idea how he presents my list to the families (with the last pastor, he would invite me in to meet with him and the family, and together we teamed up to present a better set of choices, not eliminating OEW but by suggesting hymns that were at least closer to the propers, good theology, etc). (Also, for another day, another post...he lowered my fees without telling me. Thankfully I know someone, and after an influential phone call he put them back. Gives you an idea though...)

I too was bothered by the fact that it was unaccompanied! And I love a cappella polyphony/chant/etc. However, that piece just strikes me as being totally weird (and possibly overdramatic, which is how I believe it would have been done...) if not accompanied. Something about the organist didn't have the right key...but I know this organist would have known to at least use the transposer knob (but let's please
    not start on that) so I don't think it was a problem with the organist.

Does anyone have a suggestion for an SA Ave Maria that my funeral choir could work on? (Even if we just sing it as a prelude!! Also learning the SEP Introit as a prelude...as a start in an area I still have control over.) This choir is mostly ladies in their 70s/80s, but with 50-60 funerals a year, they are a very committed group.

Thanks for your support.
  • GavinGavin
    The Arcadelt Ave Maria is very effective with S/A singing their parts, and the organ playing all four parts.
    Thanked by 1Ally
  • It may surprise people, but but in the 1950's people went to vocal recitals by students as well as professionals.

The Schubert art song that is now sung to the Ave text was a staple on these recitals and as such also appeared on TV shows, including Lawrence Welk.

TV networks had a responsibility to provide programming of quality to keep their licenses with the FCC. Howard Stern would have been pumping gas and wiping windshields, offending people getting gas with his jokes, because he sure would not have been in broadcasting.
  • For a priest to sing a solo....is just wrong.

Obviously he did not read the job description:

Say the Mass, do not change a word. Preach a sermon if you like, but other than than not one word is to come from your mouth that we did not put in the Missal.

At one point in the Mass you will cleanse your thumbs and index fingers and from that moment on you will hold them together not touching anything because you will he holding the Body and Blood of Our Lord with those fingers.

You will almost the entire Mass facing the Altar so that you may focus on the act of Transubstantiaton (in Latin, transsubstantiatio, in Greek μετουσίωσις metousiosis) that you will witness daily as you say Mass.

The people behind you will be praying with you, some following the Mass, some praying the Rosary, some just there in silence. You and they are all fullt participating in a miracle daily.

"Any questions, Father?"

"Well, couldn't I turn around and tell a couple jokes to lighten the mood? Or maybe, sing a song?"

• GavinGavin
    "At one point in the Mass you will cleanse your thumbs and index fingers and from that moment on you will hold them together not touching anything because you will he holding the Body and Blood of Our Lord with those fingers."

Speaking of not changing a word, where is that in the Missal?
    Thanked by 1Adam Wood
  • BenBen
    GIRM no. 42 specifies that "attention must therefore be paid to what is determined by this General Instruction and by the traditional practice of the roman rite ..."

Currently, the traditional practice of the Roman rite is codified in the 1962 missal. Ergo...
  • Ally, so sorry to hear about the pastor's odd rule. I hear ya!

Charles Giffen recently posted a lovely, and fairly simple SA Ave Maria here on this forum.

I'd look it up but I'm juggling a sick baby and supplying my other three boys and husband with backyard camping provisions.
  • CHGiffenCHGiffen
    Here is my SA Ave Maria and corresponding MP3 soundfile as posted on this page at CPDL.
    Thanked by 1Ally
  • chonakchonak
    @Gavin: Isn't that in the 1962 Missal?

@Ben Yanke: Thanks for pointing that out!
  • Adam WoodAdam Wood
    >>Currently, the traditional practice of the Roman rite is codified in the 1962 missal. Ergo...

wow. just, wow...
    Thanked by 1Gavin
  • CharlesW
    I don't believe that 1962 missal, good as it was, is legally binding on anyone outside the minority who are allowed to use it for worship. It is a similar situation to the rubrics followed by the Russian Old Believers, or Old Ritualists as they are sometimes called. In other words, its use is extraordinary, not the norm. For those of us who work in NO churches, the current missal is the law and the one we are required to follow. The practice of the Roman Rite is codified in it, as far as we are concerned.
    Thanked by 3Spriggo Gavin Adam Wood
  • chonakchonak
    Still, that clause suggests some openness to preserving practices mentioned in the traditional missal and not excluded by the current missal.
    Thanked by 2Ben Jahaza
  • Well, it does say "attention must be paid." Which means, as has been written extensively elsewhere, that Old Rite has something to say about the New Rite. In light of Herman Cardinal Neutic's claims regarding the whole of Vatican II, this suggests that the Old Rite has a great deal to say about the New Rite, and should be our first metric in places of ambiguity or questions of preference.

Not our only metric, mind, but the first, and only in places of ambiguity or regarding questions of preference.
    Thanked by 1Ben
  • BenBen
    I'm not in any way saing that the 1962 missal is some magic perfect book, but my point is that that is the best place to find the traditional practices of the Roman Rite up to this time, since the rubrics in the current books are often not as clear as the ones in the old books.
    Thanked by 1E_A_Fulhorst
  • Adam WoodAdam Wood
    I dunno, the rubrics of the OF seem pretty clear to me. Don't mistake "complicated, and so requiring more instruction" with "provided more instruction, and so thus was more clear."

And most of the abuses (so-called) and examples of bad taste you can find in modern liturgy are not specifically prohibited by any missal or its rubrics. It just doesn't occur to any GIRM writing committee member to include, "No puppets," or "In case it isn't clear, you're supposed to say the words in this book, not some words you just made up yourself."

Much like, when we were children left in the house for the first time, none of our parents specifically said, "By the way- do not cut the sofa in half with a chainsaw." It shouldn't even occur to you to do it, and if by chance the idea comes up, you should have enough sense to know it's a bad idea.
  • CharlesW
    I understand what all of you are saying - well, most of you, anyway. It is likely the editors of the 1962 missal did not forsee the 1970 missal. They might not have even seen the 1965 missal coming down the road. However, Adam is correct that the rubrics of the OF are clear. "The word of the LORD also came unto me, saying, Son of man, thou dwellest in the midst of a rebellious house, which have eyes to see, and see not; they have ears to hear, and hear not: for they are a rebellious house. Apologies to Ezekiel 12.
  • Here's the trouble: Liturgists have been sociopathic children cutting up sofas for thirty years. (This explains all the fluff.)

Turing to the 1962 Missal is an imperfect means to mature today's broken sense of worship, of faith, of proper Christian piety such that the Novus Ordo may be finally implemented correctly.

It's not a magic perfect book, to use Mr. Yanke's turn of phrase. It's more like a makeshift splint.
  • Protasius
    To be honest, the rubrics of the OF missal are more like headlines. As an example: The celebrant purifies the vessels. (Cited from memory and translated from German, but never mind.) The EF missal tells you exactly what to do: The server pours wine into the chalice, with which the celebrant purifies it. [..] He purifies his fingers and drinks the ablution, wipes out his lips and the chalice and [dresses the chalice]. (Own translation.)
    Thanked by 2E_A_Fulhorst Ben
  • That's a good way to describe it, Protasius.
  • BenBen
    Yes, that's the kind of thing I'm talking about, Protasius. All those little details.

One detail that comes to mind is the placement of the missal during the EP. It's not a big burden, but like so many things in the OF, you have to do it somehow (the missal has to go somewhere!), so you mind as well do it with a spirit of continuity.

Another is the kissing of the gospel book. The OF simply says that he kisses the book. The EF specifies (from what I've been told) where on the page to kiss (the last line of the gospel, I believe).

Also with the intoning of the gloria. The GIRM says that the gloria may be intoned by the priest, but you must look back to the EF to see "how far" he should go before it is taken up by all.

There's so many little details like that where you could say don't matter, but at worst, what would it hurt to follow tradition, and at best, why wouldn't you want to?
    Thanked by 2E_A_Fulhorst Jahaza
  • Liturgist....the problem is that they are untrained and uncommitted. Liturgists were priests who were trained and uncommitted.

Untrained liturgists and music directors get bored easily and change, change and change things long before the people accept them, and do not understand what training would have taught them.

The Catholic church is all about tradition.

Do you know what you call Catholics who are against tradition?

Protestants.

Liturgists and music directors want to make the liturgy interesting. Being untrained and uncommitted they have no understanding or appreciation for the liturgy or music and you get absolute s!@# as a result.

"Let's create a desert for Lent and then a waterfall and pool of water for Easter!"

That stuff's for kiddies, not adults.

Of course, there is a certain amount of intelligence required. A psych person in one diocese is fond of reminding that the chancery, from the bishop on done, is home to some of the lowest IQ's in the church.
  • Lol, Noel!!! The desert and the waterfall! I worked in a parish with an 'art and environment' group that did the goofiest things- just that kind of stuff.
    I remember the long dead branches in vases on the altar. Hint for the aesthetically challenged: if it doesn't look good in your dentist's office, it's not going to inspire in the sanctuary.
    The swooping, asymetrical banners, the clay pots, the hot tub waterfall.. all so embarrassingly geeky.
    Thanked by 1DougS