Who sings a solo?
  • CharlesW
    However, if they would create a dessert for Lent, a chocolate waterfall, and a pool of Jack Daniels punch, I would be right there with them. ;-)

I have seen those dead branches, too. I don't know what they were trying to prove, but it looked awful.
  • Does anyone have a suggestion for an SA Ave Maria that my funeral choir could work on? (Even if we just sing it as a prelude!! Also learning the SEP Introit as a prelude...as a start in an area I still have control over.) This choir is mostly ladies in their 70s/80s, but with 50-60 funerals a year, they are a very committed group.

Don't forget that in prelude and postlude music is not allowed for funeral Masses in either Form. Since we're splitting hairs anyway...
  • chonakchonak
    That's news to me. Can you tell any more about that?
    Thanked by 1Spriggo
  • CharlesW
    Never heard that about preludes and postludes at funerals. I use them, and my pastor is such a stickler for rubrics, I would have heard if they were not allowed.

Is there an SA version of the Arcadelt that you could use? It comes in many forms and is simple.
  • Musicam Sacram 66:
    "The playing of these same instruments (referring to the pipe organ) as solos is not permitted in Advent, Lent, during the Sacred Triduum and in the Offices and Masses for the dead."

My bad, the quote I was thinking of is clearly referring to organ solo music and not choral music.

I guess I've never considered having the choir sing solo (prelude) music during the aforementioned Masses... Maybe I need to get out more...!
    Thanked by 1E_A_Fulhorst
  • Hmmmm... And what's the definition of "during" Masses for the dead. Oh boy...
  • As you quoted it, it states "in the Offices and Masses for the dead"

Doesn't mention prelude or postlude. Those are technically outside of the Mass.
  • Liam
    And, of course, if one really split hairs finely, it would also ban preludes and postludes on Easter Sunday (as the Easter Vigil and Easter Sunday are *part* of the Triduum). The problem is that Musicam Sacram was followed by a host of other documents and ritual texts, and there needs to be a harmonization of it against those. But I wouldn't hold my breath waiting for that to happen any time in the next generation.
    Thanked by 2Gavin WiesOrganista