Palestrina Pange lingua and falsobordone
  • Matty
    Dear all

I know Palestrina wrote a polyphonic setting of the hymn Pange lingua, but I see that Sir Richard Terry gives a falsobordone version for alternating verses in his Music for Holy Week volume. I've searched for this in other sources but cannot find it. Anyone know where he gets it from? Or where one can find Palestrina falsobordones?

Many thanks.
  • Protasius
    It will be found in tome 8 of the Opera Omnia on IMSLP.
  • Here's a link.

I'm curious if you have an answer to the final question, Protasius: Anyone know where he gets it from? Or where one can find Palestrina falsobordones?

I have an interest in this also, though the collections above are hymns, not falsobordones. Thoughts?
    Thanked by 1Matty
  • Matty
    Yes, Volume 8 of the Opera Omnia is the polyphonic setting of the Hymn. What I want is the falsobordone...
  • CHGiffenCHGiffen
    Are you sure the falsobordone is, in fact, by Palestrina? I was under the impression that some (if not many) such additions to Palestrina polyphony were editorial (and generally anonymous).
  • Protasius
    Whoops, I thought you searched the polyphonic hymn. But aren't Falsobordoni rather interchangeable? I have collections of these by Viadana and Lasso and I know of one by Cesare de Zacharia, but they all look rather similar.
  • Protasis, can you link to these? I am woefully under-informed on the Falsobordone tradition and would love to see the collections you mention.
  • Matty
    I am uploading some scans so I everyone can see what I'm talking about. This is the falsobordone that Sir Richard Terry (no less) gives as "Palestrina" – I'm wondering the source?
    2550 x 3510 - 2M
    2550 x 3510 - 2M
    2550 x 3510 - 2M
  • Mark P.
    I've seen the complete works of Palestrina in its various volumes. My memory is that there are falsobordone settings in it--particularly around the office hymns. I'm guessing that Sir Richard borrowed a suitable falsobordone from another work and matched it up with Pange lingua. Just a hunch . . .
  • CHGiffenCHGiffen
    Mark, that makes the most sense to me.
  • There are two settings in the Casimiri Opera: v. 14 p.74, and v.35 p. 535 (as Tantum ergo). Neither are this. And I don't find any falsobordones in Casimiri... nor would I call this hymn setting a falsobordone (though it is mostly in root position chords) as I don't see any psalm tone in it. So I have no idea what this is or what it came from.
  • CHGiffenCHGiffen
    I just looked at Matty's scan, and this doesn't really seem to be a falsobordone (agreeing with JQ). It will take some digging to find it amongst Palestrina's works.
  • Matty
    Isn't it intriguing?!
  • Matty
    Anyone digging? 
  • Matty
    I can see the melody amongst the harmony. Has anyone had any success?
  • tomjaw
    I was told that the scans above are not by Palestrina, they are not found in the complete collection of his works.
  • Does anyone have a copy of this Music for Holy Week book by Terry. It seems like a very useful resource. Is a PDF available? Tia.
    Thanked by 1rich_enough
  • Matty
    I have it all. What is the best way to get it viewable here?
    Thanked by 1tomjaw
  • tomjaw
    @Matty This forum has a limit on the size of file we can post, for larger files most use dropbox or similar.
  • chonakchonak
    I've sent Matty a note about getting the files to me.