What does your diocese say about early implementation
  • By the way, what dark pit did the Storrington Mass crawl out of? The muppets would be embarrassed to sing that drivel...
  • The Archdiocese of Washington has authorized early implementation. See statement here: http://site.adw.org/music

The site has a complete set of listings, but it simply appears to be merely what pulishers sent them to link. No statement I can see on preferred setting, which is in keeping with His Eminence's style in regards to music.
  • quilisma
    Did someone say that the music implementation is expected to be gradual?
    Would that be gradual with a capital 'G' by any chance.....you know, the Roman type....?
    I can't wait.....!
  • kevinfkevinf
    The Archdiocese of Louisville is NOT allowing early implementation. We can practice, but we cannot use.
  • Mike R
    Evansville is allowing early implementation, but so far no pastors I've heard from are planning to implement early, or at least in September (I suspect parishes will decide to try things out at least a LITTLE early, once they're really into catechesis of the new translation).
  • Take a deep breath and in 25 words or less tell me why any diocese would not permit this to begin in September? What are they trying to protect their people from? And why, of why, did they set Advent as the time to do this and now do all this ridiculous waffling?
  • chonakchonak
    Are we supposed to write the answer on a 3" x 5" index card and mail it to a P.O. box in Young America, MN?
  • kevinfkevinf
    The reason given in these parts is to NOT mix the old mass with the new musical settings. It was said that we will make a clean move from one to the next on Advent 1. But we have a 13 week preparation and catechesis period. 5 minutes before every mass, the people will learn about the question of the week and also learn a musical portion. Not prefect, but better than an unnamed diocese that I left. Also, handouts every week in the bulletin showing the old and the new and town hall meetings to learn about the change. Could be worse!
  • Yes, and include a $5 bill with a smiley face drawn on it.

The question of the week....I like that. Do you get to make suggestions?
  • Mike R
    Frogman, this is total and complete speculation on my part, but many dioceses place a premium on unity, and considering many parishes haven't even begun to think about missal catechesis, they want to legislate the mean
  • Diocese of Phoenix just approved the September implementation a few days ago. The missal chants are strongly encouraged, but not mandated. There is nothing like the effort happening in Boston, but it's good to see the Missal chants presented as the norm!
  • I'm wondering if we're not hearing from all the dioceses because not all the dioceses have said ANYTHING at all. I've looked at a bunch of diocesan websites, and there is nothing on several that is anything other than the link to the USCCB website. I put up the "Do we even need to bother with a new hymnal" question on several Catholic websites, and not even gotten a response, as if no one is even aware of the question. Personally, I would prefer silence to pushing what the publishers want. Is that it? It's not that there's no guidance on early implementation...it's that there's no guidance?
  • chonakchonak
    By the way, Adam, the effort in Boston is not manifesting itself in the parishes in any big way: there are articles in parish bulletins, but I have heard little catechesis about it from the pulpit. If that comes, it'll probably be starting next month.
  • I've noticed that dioceses that are mandating something other than Missal chants are NOT printing this fact on their websites.
  • Jeff, alas, as the French might say, "Quelle surprise." As the priest who had so much to do with my conversion once said, I know to much about who killed whom during the Renaissance. I don't believe a word of "pious" history, in other words. No Popes floating about dispensing justice and mercy in Medieval Europe in my head. The point: I am saddened, not surprised, by such things. Alas.
  • Somone from Cincinnati posted this on another site, and I have to admit that, while the results were not what I would want, they reflect the correct process. The person said that all the diocesan music directors were involved in a months-long vetting process. This is the kind of process where the music championed here will eventually have an impact. And they were wise enough to not buy the come-ons from the publishers and to produce a pew booklet themselves.

http://www.catholiccincinnati.org/ministries-offices/worship/the-new-roman-missal/music-directors
  • Cinci yes on early implementation, turns out. Good to see someone besides Boston has their act together all across the board. Not what we might want, but pastorally sensitive.
  • Here in Providence it's the green light for Gloria, Sanctus, and Memorial. However, they did not specify any particular setting(s). Boston DID - the Sacramentary chants - and I wish Providence would have followed suit. Not all is lost, though, as at my parish we ARE using the Sacramentary chants during the fall.

Spoken texts must wait till 11/27.
    BMP
  • amindthatsuits:
    Thankfully, Mass of Creation and the St. Louis Jesuits Mass are NOT on the list at Cincinnati.
    BMP
  • BMP:

That list of what we should be glad about could go on, but Mass for the City is another one that sounds so tired. At the Shrine for the Assumption (somebody having miscalculated because it was not a day of obligation this year and so forced crowds into the Crypt), we sang the Missa de Angelis in Latin, did a nice Pslam chant by Peter Latona, spoke the Credd...and then we shifted for some reason to Mass for the City, an odd choice because fully half the people there probably can't sing any English Mass setting comfortably.

And then we got to an old point: the recessional was--if I get this right without a book handy--Salve Regina Coelitum, and the dome of the Crypt practically blasted into the High Altar upstairs. Sing a hymn people FEEL, and away you go.

Kenneth
  • Oh, and the Hymnal Hucksters fought for their turf. Confronted with Cinci wanting its own pew booklets, they loosened their grip on their rights---but the archdiocese cannot distribute them outside its borders. Certainly makes sense if you are trying to sell hymnals, but that is the problem, isn't it?
  • CharlesW
    I'm convinced the best thing any of us could do is refuse to buy new hymnals. Use the old ones and put new mass settings on pew cards. That just might get the attention of the publishers and let them know that business as usual doesn't work anymore.
  • Maureen
    Re: Cincinnati -- Fr. Fox says that we have permission to implement in September, and so his parish will be starting then:

"Starting next month, we'll begin using the new texts for the Gloria, Sanctus and Memorial Acclamation at Mass. The Archbishop gave all parishes permission to do this as a result of the U.S. Bishops approving this option.

"We will have booklets from the Archdiocese in the pews starting next month, so that folks can refer to them for these texts. We will be using the chant setting, which is the easiest and most familiar, so that folks don't have to learn too much at once."
  • Thanks, Maureen. With that note about the communal chants, rather than modern settings, it sounds as if the Archbishop wants everyone to feel that they are part of the process and be reminded in the end that we are all members of the Universal Church.

Alas, I come bearing bad news.

As I have said, I have spent the last year mainly at the Shrine, for various reasons, and for reasons of laziness never seem to hit any of the big Masses, so instead of Peter Latona's outstanding music, allowing for the fact that he has to provide music to inspire 3 or 4 thousand people at once at the big Masses, I get a pretty normal exposure to the Mass--a cantor, an organist, and a priest, all of high skill but varying natures. The only advantage from the Shrine is that "high skill" thing, and that there isn't a stone in the Crypt Church that isn't magnificent. Oh,yes, and liturgical innovation is not something you ever have to endure.

But looking at the Archdiocese of Washington website, and being a parishioner at the Cathedral of St. Matthew, I had a suspicion that this whole thing would be another one of His Eminence's top-down exercises. I have never heard of anything emanating from the curia that wasn't distinctly ex cathedra in tone. I felt sure the list of documents and links on the websites was just that, and doubted that much reaction was solicited from all those workshops for parish leaders. Sure enough, I was talking this whole thing over with a very informed colleague, a parishioner at one of the most prestigious churches with a highly educated membership. Indeed, one of the most prominent (and reliable) Catholic intellectuals in the world goes there, though he is retired and largely silent, alas.

Her question: "When does this all happen?"

If we are to get early implementation, we will be told when we walk in and find pew cards. And we won't be told if we aren't getting early implementation.
  • Our diocese is still silent on what to do in September, but, our Metropolitan area of San Antonio has given the green light for September.

Here is the letter from Archbishop Garcia-Siller for the folks in San Antonio:

http://www.archsa.org/documents/Musical_Settings_September.pdf
  • eft94530eft94530
    The Weekly -- August 15, 2011
    A Chancery publication for the employees, parish staffs, clergy and Religious of the
    Diocese of Oakland

(page 4)
    Early Implementation of New Mass Settings
    The USCCB announced that Diocesan Bishops may permit the gradual introduction of the
    musical settings of the people’s parts of the Mass from the new Roman Missal in
    September. Primarily this affects the Gloria, the Sanctus and the Memorial Acclamations.
    Bishop Cordileone has approved the gradual introduction of the new Mass settings, and
    pastors in consultation with their music ministers can decide whether they would like to
    gradually implement the new Mass settings beginning September 2011.
  • Just got word that our bishop has ditched early implementation. I am really disappointed because I wanted to start using the revised Gloria. I think that it would have been better for us to have this gradual implementation, as the first time we will be using the Gloria is for the Solemnity of the Immaculate Conception.
  • I'm in the St. Cloud diocese (MN).

I asked our pastor about it at the parish council meeting recently. He said he hasn't heard anything .

-M
  • Diocese of Palm Beach starting in a couple of weeks.
  • "Most Reverend George V. Murry, S.J., Bishop of Youngstown, is permitting only the new texts of the Gloria, Sanctus and Memorial Acclamations to be sung at Mass in the Diocese of Youngstown beginning in September. This permission is granted only if these texts are sung by the people. No other texts, prayers, acclamations, or responses from the new Roman Missal beyond the Gloria, Sanctus, and Memorial Acclamations are permitted to be spoken or sung by the celebrant or people until the implementation date of November 27, 2011.

Once a new sung Mass part is introduced, it should continue to be used each week. This gradual implementation is not required, rather it is allowed for an easier transition to the revised texts. Whatever decision you make for your community, it will be important to provide proper catechesis and instruction to alleviate confusion and help the faithful understand the changes."

At St. Patrick's in Kent, it was same old same old. Really, I expect to be hearing the old translation in the D of Y into next year.
  • Well, we're in new territory here, JQ, and bishop likely afforded as much time considering "the" decision as his or his advisors remained engaged. C'est la vie.
    So, did they systematically consider
    -a sung "confession (Confiteor)" which exists with ICEL setting
    -a Kyrie (not Lhm) attached to an otherwise English new setting
    -the Alleluia GA from the new setting; it's not like we couldn't simply introduce a new setting of that pro per
    -the Creed? Or is it universally known in Youngstown that Creeds are never sung?
    -the rationale against the English MR3 "and with your spirit" if the priest chants
    -a companion Amen ala ICEL setting
    -a companion LoG (same as Alleluia)
    -any YT parish that might actually have chanted a 1970 Non dignus sum

To me the problem of liturgical authority has never been about liturgy, but ecclesial interest or lack thereof.
  • BenBen
    Next week, at the Cathedral Parish of St. Raphael in Madison, Wisconsin, we are going to use Randall DeBruyn's Mass of the Resurrection, beginning at the Sanctus, until the end of Mass. The new gloria will begin in October, but I'm not sure what setting yet.
    Edit: We will actually be using DeBruyn's gloria as well, come October.

I'm not crazy about it, but it is one of the better new Mass settings.
  • Now, comes possible word that we might actually start using the revised translation. I am feeling like a yo-yo.
  • "To me the problem of liturgical authority has never been about liturgy, but ecclesial interest or lack thereof."
    Bingo! And I've seen little evidence that Bp. Murry is interested in liturgy. judging by some of the flagrant liturgical abuses I've seen in the diocese.I'm not second-guessing his priorities; it's hard to keep the church going in an area where everyone is on the dole. I'm just not seeing evidence of attention...which is something that doesn't require money.
  • I have great news!!! The Diocese of Laredo said "SI"!