What does your diocese say about early implementation
  • kevinfkevinf
    With the announcement of the USSCB regarding early implementation of sung parts, it is up to the diocesan bishop to allow this possibility. In the Archdiocese of Louisville, we are not allowed to do so.
    What are other dioceses saying? I am not complaining about this diocese, but curious as to others.
  • Aaron
    Diocese of Richmond, VA has given permission for September.
  • matthewjmatthewj
    Just crickets and silence in Columbus, Ohio so far...
  • chonakchonak
    Boston has granted permission for implementation of the sung Gloria, Sanctus, and Memorial Acclamation in September.

Also, the official "setting of the Archdiocese" is the ICEL chant setting.
  • JDE
    Diocese of Charleston (SC) says September as well. I suspect school music directors and teachers may have had some influence over this decision, since they won't want to have to change horses midstream on the music.
  • Mark M.Mark M.
    Archbishop of Denver has granted permission "to implement musical settings of the people's part of the Mass beginning in September 2011."
  • rollingrj
    Nothing so far from the Diocese of Salt Lake City.
  • Guadalupe
    Permission granted in Diocese of Steubenville.
  • mahrt
    Permission granted for the Diocese of San Jose.
  • benedictgal
    Laredo is still languishing.
  • CharlesW
    Nothing from the Diocese of Knoxville.
  • marajoymarajoy
    Diocese of Lansing says we may use the sung settings. (Not clear yet if this will be ANY sung setting, or just the diocesan-all-parishes-required-to-learn one. [not the ICEL chant one...])
  • Mike R
    No word yet in Evansville, pending the ordination of Bishop Thompson this Wednesday.
  • I received an e-mail reply from the secretary of the Hartford archdiocese Divine Worship department and was told that they are considering it.
  • Adam Schwend
    I haven't received official word, but I believe the Archdiocese of Seattle will be allowing implementation in September.
  • BenBen
    While suprisingly, this report is found nowhere else, supposedly, the Diocese of Madison will allow some parts as soon as September:

Badger Catholic: Madison parishes can use musical settings with new translation beginning in September
  • musings
    Nary a word in Tucson.
  • Bobby Bolin
    I don't know if anything is official in Cleveland, but I imagine they will spend weeks upon weeks considering it. That's how everyone does things around here.
  • Jeffrey Quick
    Bobby, I'm working my connections and will report if I hear anything. I've heard nothing from Youngstown yet (Just checked their website) but I wouldn't, as I've been attending the EF Mass.
  • Bobby Bolin
    Thanks Jeffrey, keep us informed!
  • Jeffrey Quick
    Cleveland is having a meeting this week to discuss it. Bp. Lennon is leaning towards early implementation, but nothing's been officially decided.
  • Fresno on for September
  • Jeffrey TuckerJeffrey Tucker
    Mobile is doubtful. For some reason, there is resistance.
  • lagunaredbob
    We are waiting word from the Bishop of Orange County, CA if we will be permitted to start early.
  • In Raleigh, the participants at a quickly-called meeting of about 30 musicians this past Wednesday were tasked with making recommendations for how to do the September incremental implementation. Our bishop will also take recommendations from the clergy and then make a decision, which we are hoping will be in favor of it.
  • AngelaRAngelaR
    Springfield IL: Yes for September
    Peoria IL: Probably for September
  • chonakchonak
    Newark says yes.
  • PaixGioiaAmorPaixGioiaAmor
    Cleveland churches may use the new translation from Sept. 14 on.
  • Adam WoodAdam Wood
    The scoop from my mother-in-law in the Diocese of Orlando....
    (notice my emhasis
    -------------------

My Sisters and Brothers in Christ,

At my last meeting with my brother bishops in Seattle, Washington, we discussed the impending changes to the Roman Missal. We spoke of our desire to begin to address the musical aspects of these changes so our parishioners might become more at ease with the changes.

In light of this, when I returned from the meeting in Seattle, I met with representatives of the Diocesan Offices of Music and Liturgy to discuss the impact of these changes and how we might be better prepared. Recognizing the diverse needs and abilities of our parishes throughout the diocese, I recommend a short list of suggested musical settings which you will find below.

In order to facilitate implementation of the text, I encourage a selection of newly composed musical settings. While certain revised settings seem to support the new text well, using a musical setting already known by the parish could lead to confusion and slower learning of the new text. Musical implementation may begin in September, but is expected to be gradual:

As it has only minor changes, parishes should begin with the Holy, Holy.
    Because of its length and more substantial changes, the Gloria should be introduced in October.
    The new Mystery of Faith Acclamations should be introduced in November.
    Other musical selections where the text has not been changed (Alleluia, Great Amen, or Lamb of God) may be introduced as best seems fit for the parish.
    For diocesan celebrations where English is the primary language of celebration, Mass of Wisdom will be used.
    In addition to new musical settings, I remind you that Latin chant may be a part of the parish repertoire:

“Each worshiping community in the United States, including all age groups and all ethnic groups, should, at a minimum, learn Kyrie XVI, Sanctus XVIII, and Agnus Dei XVIII, all of which are typically included in congregational worship aids. More difficult chants, such as Gloria VIII and settings of the Credo and Pater Noster, might be learned after the easier chants have been mastered.” (Sing to the Lord, 75)

Additional information will be distributed from the Offices of Music and Liturgy. If possible, a bulk order program for music will be arranged.

As always, I am grateful for your ministry in the Lord’s name.

The List of Recommended Settings:
    ICEL Chant
    Una Santa Fe - Krisman
    Joy and Peace - Alonso
    Storrington - Haugen
    Renewal - Stephan
    St. Paul, Apostle - Walker
    Wisdon - Janco
    St. Ann - Bolduc
    St. Benedict - LeBlanc
    ---------------------------------

Some good, some bad here.
    Their Diocesan default choice (Mass of Wisdom) is fantastic music, if pretty far from stylistic ideals. (That diocese will like it, though- it's a pretty "celebratory" crowd.)

Really wish that recommended list was... different.
    But at least it's "recommended" and not "required."
    Also glad to see my favorite Contemporary-styled setting on there. (Mass of St. Ann)

Love the Latin chant shout out.
    Wish it said "should" instead of "may," but the quote from SttL is a good reference point, since the progressives generally like that document.
  • DougS
    Indianapolis = September.
  • rollingrj
    Found out last night at our choir's summer picnic the Diocese of Salt Lake City has granted permission for early implementation.
  • It is with deep regret that I wish to inform you that our diocese has chosen ONE setting of the Mass as the official version for when we meet together for liturgical celebrations.

The new setting by Marty Haugen.

listen at your own risk
  • SkirpRSkirpR
    I could live with the simple harmonies, but why are *so* many of these "mainstream" settings in such sing-songy 6/8 meter?
  • We have been given permission by the Bishop of Orange County CA to start on September 4, 2011.

First choice of uniform Mass setting is the set of ICEL chants, which we are using at all Masses, and the Latin Ordinaries at the principal Mass.

The other two settings are middle-of-the-road "traditional" and one contemporary.
  • CharlesW
    As I look forward to retiring, I more and more have the attitude, "Take the money and keep quiet." Of course, I never manage the keep quiet part. At least we have three mass settings to choose from, and two of them are good.
  • A new diocesan mandate was announced, CharlesW, when you and I were not there. the ICEL Chant Mass is permitted, but the Missa Luna is expected whenever the bishop visits a parish.

(No, I am not making this up.)
  • CharlesW
    I heard that, too. We see him twice a year, at most. Confirmation, and last year an event for the 50th anniversary of the pastor's ordination. Confirmation is not until next spring, so we may see him only once. I can live with Missa Luna infrequently. I will just surround it with lots of good chant.
  • Gloria - Missa Luna

Solemn, inspiring music, no unnecessary repetitions, music that will outlive us all.

A fitting replacement for the diocesan standard music at major events, replacing the Mass of Creation.

But the chant mass is permitted in parishes unless it's a special occasion.
  • In the opera world there are standard cuts, normal, 'rare not to follow them' cuts.
  • Jeffrey Quick
    Hmmm, cut the accompaniment and refrain, and it's almost sacred music.
  • cdruiz
    Manchester, NH - Permission granted for use in September.
  • CharlesW
    It is a bland, uninspired piece of music. I think everyone will be sick of it in three weeks. However, I will put the composer's accompaniment in the round file where it belongs, and simply support the melody line - which is similar to the song that does not end. That will make it more bearable. As I mentioned earlier, the bishop doesn't visit that often.
  • Peter Kolar is a great snake oil salesman; I will give that to him. However, I would rather prefer the revised Gloria from A New Mass for a Congregation over Kolar's piece.

So far, nada from down here in South Texas. The bishop is still using an ilicit Spanish-language Gloria, especially at Diocesan liturgies.
  • CharlesW
  • chonakchonak
    The ICEL chant Gloria only takes about 90 seconds to sing, so this is twice as long, and the 20-second introduction would seem interminable for an ordinary Sunday celebration of Mass.
  • Peter Kolar is a "snake oil salesman?". I know Peter well..this is just downright mean. My gosh, i continue to be amazed by the tone that still seems to find it's way here. If you do not like the music, fine- no problem. But the cheap shots are just not necessary. Peter is a wonderful, talented, and humble servant. He (and no else) deserves this kind of rhetoric.
  • Archbishop Broglio (U.S. Military) has given permission for us to sing not only the entire new set of sung Ordinaries beginning in Sept., but has also given specific permission to use those chants without word changes (Lord, Have Mercy, Lamb of God, Our Father) before then...

I believe the Savannah diocese also has permission to begin singing the new Ordinaries in Sept.
  • Yay, Janet and Bp. Broglio!
    As if singing the companion Amen to a new MemAcc would bring the Liturgy Police.
  • All systems go for September implementation in the Diocese of Lincoln, Nebraska. At our parish, we will be using the Missal chants. Our pastor wants them to be accompanied at first (thanks to those on this forum who put together some lovely organ accompaniments) then move toward a cappella as the faithful get to know them better.
  • If anyone's interested, I've accompanied the ICEL Glory with organ and a soprano ison, which we went through with great potential at first rehearsal last night.
  • I just read this whole list, and I didn't see any examples of early implementation being required across the archdiocese - maybe we are alone? The archdiocese of Kansas City, Kansas is requiring early implementation in September, as well as a standard musical setting. This is the Mass of Christian Unity, which was apparently popular right after Vatican 2 with the transitional English translations. I had not seen it before, but it is decent - pretty middle-of-the-road (I would compare it to the Community Mass).