Musicam sacram in original Latin
  • David AndrewDavid Andrew
    Please, oh please somebody tell me that somewhere in the world one can actually put one's hands on a copy of the text of Musicam sacram in the original Latin?

I know that Jeffrey Tucker asked in passing once if anyone knew where to find it, and now I'm begging anyone who knows where to find it to please let me know via this forum.

I thank you, and I'll even see if you can be granted some kind of indulgence, under the usual conditions, of course.
  • Jeffrey TuckerJeffrey Tucker
    I'm begging too. What's the deal with this anyway? why should it be so hard to find?

There's a lot wrong with the world!
  • marymezzomarymezzo
    I did a site-specific google search by putting this term into the google search box: "musicam sacram" site:vatican.va

http://www.vatican.va/archive/hist_councils/ii_vatican_council/documents/vat-ii_instr_19670305_musicam-sacram_it.html

Mary
  • G
    That's Italian, Mary.

(Save the Liturgy, save the World)
  • marymezzomarymezzo
    sorry! what a maroon I am.

surely it's on the Vatican site in Latin too.
    One would think, but try to figure out how to access it, if it is available in Latin.

I've got a DMA, and can't figure this out.

My mother is soooooo ashamed.
  • When I looked on the Vatican site, the only choices I found were Italian and English... Sacrosanctum Concilium in Latin is here:

http://www.vatican.va/archive/hist_councils/ii_vatican_council/documents/vat-ii_const_19631204_sacrosanctum-concilium_lt.html

When I attempted just substituting the "lt" for the "en" in Mary's address above, it didn't work... :(
    Right! Right! It's not there!

This is the whole problem.
    Yes, all of the 16 conciliar docs are there, and in Latin, but not the Instructions.

Maybe it's time to send an e-mail to Fr. Z. If anyone can help, it'll be him.
  • Would it be here?

http://www.paxbook.com/algorithmiS/servusPrimus?iussum=monstraScriptumEditum&numerus=30545

I suppose not....since it’s the CDF. Hm.

I believe I recall an email dialogue with Paul Ford (maybe he’s reading?) wherein he indicated that he has a book wherein the original Latin of MS is published.
  • Felipe and all,

Yes, I own all three volumes of the Enchiridion Documentorum Instaurationis Liturgicae, collected and edited by Father Reiner Kaczynski.

This afternoon I scanned Musicam Sacram and here it is as two PDF files. One has the bibliographical information and the abbreviations, the other has the document. I tried sending them as a single file but our site limits us to documents of 1000 kb.

Blessings to all for a holy Holy Week.

Remember: The devil works overtime during this week to try to exacerbate frictions, misunderstandings, and the like.

Paul
  • john m
    Bless you, Dr. Ford. This is an extremely valuable download that would appear to be the only appearance of MS on the www.
    Dr. Ford,

Thank you! And may you have a blessed Holy Week.

(I obviously can't arrange for the promised indulgence, but I can and will pray for you!)
    wow, this is wonderful. thank you!
  • francis
    David,

Are you going to give us the translation?
    No, but I've got a project going. Stay tuned!
  • francis
    Yep, know about that one!
  • I knew n. 22 was translated wrong in the English version... "either men and boys, or men and boys only, or ..."