Xmas piece w/strings?
  • Heath
    Friends,

We'll be recording a Christmas CD this spring and I'm looking for a piece (SATB, preferably) with strings. I have a good choir this year and some excellent string players that I can pull out of the ensemble. Any suggestions, maybe along the lines of the following? :

a) Movement from Bach cantata, a "Jesu, Joy"-like piece with SATB chorale and strings et al. dancing around the choir

b) Sophisticated arrangement of Xmas carol

c) Whatever else

Thanks!
  • Donnaswan
    Lots of beautiful but easy arr by Mack Wilberg , Oxford Univ Press. I like 'How far is it to Bethlehem, and What is this lovely fragrance-not quite the right title.but you can look it up. And of course, almost any John Rutter arr.- Candlelight Carol, Angel's Carol, And I like very much Andrew Carter's carols. Problem with Rutter and Wilberg will be the charge to record. If money is no object, OK. And how about 'In the Bleak Midwinter' Harold Friedell version And I use strings on Lo How a Rose.

Donna
  • Heath
    Donna, a quick google search doesn't turn up the Friedell "In the Bleak" . . . how can I get a look/listen at it?
  • incantuincantu
    Charpentier, Messe de minuit pour Noel
  • Donnaswan
    Dear Heath, My bad- not Friedell- Harold Darke. So sorry
    Donna
  • I remember doing a Buxtehude "Eine Neues Geborne Kindlein" with strings 25 years ago or so that was sweet.
  • francis
    I have arrangements for vln vla vc and satb

silent night
    o holy night
    gesu bambino
    Christmas medley

bring a torch Jeanette isabella : vln vc organ and melody sung in chorus

I know it's common, but what about Handel ; for unto us a child is born
  • Donnaswan
    The list is endless!
    Donna
  • ghmus7
    Proulx arrangement: Silent Night

I have an arrangement of "In the Bleak Midwinter" with strings (Holst)
    drop me a line if interested.
  • IanWIanW
    Heath,

What string forces do you have at you command? Do you have any other instruments? I have an arrangement of 'Silent Night' that used the instruments available from the 1st half of 'Messiah' that was performed at the same concert, i.e. small string orchestra, 2 oboes, 2 trumpets and 1 bassoon. And I added the mandatory 3rd verse descant for the sopranos.
  • Heath
    ghmus7 and IanW,

I would be delighted to sample both of your arrangements, if I may! Let me send you an e-mail right now . . .
  • Heath
    IanW, your e-mail is not listed . . . how can I contact you?
  • G
    Herbeck, Pueri Concinite, if you have a decent tenor, or even sop. soloist, (or a nice children's choir to do the solo)

(Save the Liturgy, Save the World)
  • francis
    Heath

bear with me... Have been out of town and did not have time to reply yet
  • IanWIanW
    Heath,

ian at ianw dot me dot uk
  • Heath
    Friends, anything to add to this thread?

I actually have a fine flutist and clarinetist this year, so anything for SATB choir, strings, C instrument(s) would be great!
  • ghmus7
    Heath, what is your e-mail so I may send you that arrangement...
  • Charpentier In Nativitatem --- even allows for soloists.
  • davido
    Laetenur caeli from saint-saens Christmas oratorio
  • Leo Nestor -Adagio and Villancico
  • Christmas Lullaby - Rutter
  • Here is an arrangement of In the Bleak Midwinter, tune by Holst, that I just completed for two-part treble choir and string quartet, which you might be able to use with your sopranos and altos. Feel free, if you're interested.
    --Richard Rice
  • Heath
    Thanks, all, good stuff!