Balancing prayer life for church music spouse
  • I don't know if this sort of thing has been discussed previously, but I couldn't find anything when I searched.

    I am blessed to be working in a full-time Director of Music position at a parish about half an hour away from my house. My wife is a stay-at-home (and homeschooling) mom, and we have 3 children (ages 6, 3, and 2). At work, I have the opportunity to attend daily Mass, and of course multiple Sunday Masses, but our schedules make it difficult for us to ever attend Mass together as a family. With my position, I'm unable to help my wife with the children during Sunday Mass, and when she has tried to bring them to daily Mass, it messes up our toddler's napping schedule, etc. When I'm not available to help with unruly children, my wife spends the whole Mass with them in the cry room and it's at a point where attending Mass is becoming a near occasion of sin for her.

    We try to live out our faith at home with our family, of course, and we have our daily prayer routines together, but I feel so bad that Mass has developed a bad association for her. More often than not, when I come downstairs to see my family after their Sunday Mass, one or both toddlers are a wreck and my wife just has a look of despairing exhaustion on her face.

    So, with all of that said...Does anyone who's lived through a similar experience have any advice? Are there any suggestions for ways to help a struggling spouse of a church musician, or is it just a matter of powering through it, with the hope that it will become easier as the children get older?
  • MatthewRoth
    Posts: 3,838
    She is excused from the obligation. Is it possible to not play a Mass? I realistically think that multiple Masses on one day all the time is too much. One Mass should have all of the music. If you can give up a Mass, and the deal is that if your replacement falls through, there is no music, that would allow her to go and fulfill the obligation with or without the children, and then she may have to wait around, but at least it’s not the only Mass for her.

    The downside is that I sound naive, but this is the one area where musicians are probably right and pastors probably wrong.
    Thanked by 2Charles Abbysmum
  • rvisser
    Posts: 98
    @trowland87 - You have described what I think is one of the greatest crosses of life as a full time parish musician. I have worked for parishes full time for about fifteen years, and am the mother of six children, ranging from 3-14. My husband has taken the kids to Mass on his own for basically their entire lives. It is not easy. You said your children are ages 6, 3, and 2, which is incredibly difficult. It does get easier! Now that my kids are older, I have one who serves every Mass and three who sing in the choir with me every week, which is a huge blessing. My husband has the 5 and 3 yr old in the pew with him. Occasionally I have the 5 year old in the loft with me.

    My best advice would be to find a friend or parishioner, preferably the grandma type, who is willing to sit with your wife and kids during Mass. I had one baby (#5) who was particularly difficult, and I would bring him to work with me on Saturday nights. A friend of mine would show up early to Mass and hold him in the pew.

    We have one spoken Mass at my parish on Sundays, and my husband will sometimes go to this one on his own and I will take the older 5 kids to the sung Mass right after (but we live 2 minutes from church, which makes this possible).
    Thanked by 1CHGiffen
  • AbbysmumAbbysmum
    Posts: 216
    I agree 100% with @rvisser. I'm mom of 5 and my husband is the one who takes the kids to Mass while I'm either singing in the choir or accompanying. We have no family help too. Daily Mass has always been a no-go with my kids (even when we homeschooled) because of the school and nap schedules.

    Would maybe attending a vigil Mass as a family at a neighbouring parish be possible? It's not ideal, but the season it might be better than what you have now.
    Thanked by 2CHGiffen rvisser
  • "I say that devotion must be practiced in different ways by the nobleman and by the working man, by the servant and by the prince, by the widow, by the unmarried girl and by the married woman. But even this distinction is not sufficient; for the practice of devotion must be adapted to the strength, to the occupation and to the duties of each one in particular.

    Tell me, please, my Philothea, whether it is proper for a bishop to want to lead a solitary life like a Carthusian; or for married people to be no more concerned than a Capuchin about increasing their income; or for a working man to spend his whole day in church like a religious; or on the other hand for a religious to be constantly exposed like a bishop to all the events and circumstances that bear on the needs of our neighbor. Is not this sort of devotion ridiculous, unorganized and intolerable? Yet this absurd error occurs very frequently, but in no way does true devotion, my Philothea, destroy anything at all. On the contrary, it perfects and fulfills all things. In fact if it ever works against, or is inimical to, anyone’s legitimate station and calling, then it is very definitely false devotion...the type of devotion which is purely contemplative, monastic and religious can certainly not be exercised in these sorts of stations and occupations, but besides this threefold type of devotion, there are many others fit for perfecting those who live in a secular state.

    Therefore, in whatever situations we happen to be, we can and we must aspire to the life of perfection."

    Saint Francis de Sales
  • TCJ
    Posts: 1,073
    There are multiple parishioners who would sit with my wife and help with the kids during Mass. Having them around was (and is) a great blessing because it is very rare when we actually attend Mass together. When we do, it's almost always a weekday Mass.

    I think the idea of having a Mass which you don't play for (even if it's just once a month) is great. You should be able to attend Mass with your family and the pastor should understand that it's you need that opportunity.
    Thanked by 1CHGiffen
  • StimsonInRehabStimsonInRehab
    Posts: 1,983
    All I can say is - thank God I'm not alone in this!

    Actually, I can say a bit more. :)

    Networking with your church friends, especially your choir friends, can be a good idea. A substantial amount of our TLM choir comprises of young parents; a lot of times, both the moms AND the dads are up in the loft singing. If we have parents that need to nip down to tag out their significant other in caring for a child, it's understood and we're ready to fill in for them until such time they can make it back up. It takes a village. And it's really a growth for grace and charity.

    From the toddler aspect, try to give your little one enough space to wiggle - while at the same time starting to plant seeds of reverence. That's our case, because we have a one-hour trip each way and church usually happens during ideal nap time for us. Our little two-year-old Hobgoblin loves the cry room, but it can get crowded and stifling in there at times, and she has a habit of terrorizing or being a bad influence on the young lads in there. So, we take her up to the loft for a spell, so she can sing with Mommy and Daddy, and sometimes she wanders a bit and picks up the choir-books and spills her Cheerios all over the kneelers. A nuisance? Perhaps. But she also gets to interact with the musicians, and she gets a taste of what we're doing and why we're doing it. Sort of an early musical apprenticeship, if only for a few minutes at a time.

    Finally - and I'm sure you're doing this, but you can never do it enough - tell your husband/wife that you love them and appreciate what they do. Be a shoulder for them to cry on, if necessary.

    Recent anecdote somewhat summing all of these ideas up: We are eating sandwiches out of the back of our car after Mass. Wife, who is a saintly Wesleyan, is upset and I can tell. I ask her what is wrong and give her free rein to vent. Tearfully, she recounts how our Little Toad was testing the acoustics of the cry room at the most recent Mass with her fortissimo 'rendition' of the Queen of the Night aria, and pestering a young man with grapes until the boy's mother took him out of the room, and how she felt judged. I told her that most parents at a Latin Mass can sympathize about dealing with unruly kids, and if not, then to Hell with them. My Alto Section leader and her Bass husband walk by after this, and comment on what a good idea our lunch was; Mr. Bass recommends we all have a picnic at the local park next week so we can socialize and our littles can run off some energy. That was a good day.
    Thanked by 1CHGiffen