Recto Tono Creed Organ Score
  • I've heard tell of a recto tono English setting of the Creed being used in some ordinariate circles. The organist, I believe, keeps things musically interesting by providing varying harmonies. Can anyone point me toward a score for this in either/both ordinariate or novus ordo English? Thanks in advance.
  • FKulash
    Theodore Marier wrote a setting like that. It's #12 in the 1983 edition of his Hymns Psalms and Spiritual Canticles.
    Thanked by 1trentonjconn
  • ServiamScores
    And it is wild!
  • GerardH
    Volume 6 of The Village Organist, or basically any Anglican Chant psalter, many of which are available online.
  • Gerard,

Anglican chant psalter would hardly be in the same category as recto tono, would it?
  • madorganist
    From Bridge's Organ Accompaniment of the Choral Service
  • CGM
    Richard Chonak did a recasting of Marier's famous setting, using the current Roman Missal translation (ICEL, 2010); see attached.
  • GerardH
    Chris, go have a look at one. The Apostles creed is customarily sung recto tono at Anglican Mattins and Evensong, and psalters usually have the accompaniment.
  • Thanks guys, these are great. The Anglican ones are definitely more...tame...than the Marier.
    Thanked by 1ServiamScores
  • Liam
    Marier also included an oft-used setting at #598 in HPSC that had SSATBB choral harmonies with the recurring text "Credo" when the English text was not being sung by a given part.

Marier had made his similar setting of the English language Gloria public domain, and in 2012 Dr Clint Klaus of St James Cathedral, Seattle, revised it for the public domain with the revised Missal translation.