Antiphonale Monasticum (Praglia) and Antiphonale Romanum I (Lauds): questions about the format
  • MatthewRoth
    I have decided to typeset some of the chants of the preconciliar Liber Usualis and Antiphonale Romanum as needed for the Divine Office (mostly Vespers for now, and bit-by-bit, that is, by season or section of the book, as needed) because not everyone in the schola here has a full LU, the type is faint sometimes, and it doesn't have all that we need. Long story short, some sections (e.g. the Sunday Vespers section) will be based, for now, on the LU's presentation, others on the AR. However, one problem is that in the AR, the psalms are not pointed, which I'd like to eventually do for all of the day hours (heh) and the first half alone of the Gospel canticles has music; long story short, even though I'm not typesetting a book, it's good to make my booklets based on the real deal as much as possible.

I understand that AR I has pointed psalms. How are they arranged throughout the book in this case? I know that the AR keeps the preconciliar arrangement of the Gospel canticles by providing the first half alone with notation. (The pointing of these texts in Gregorio/LuaLaTeX is not easy, but it's easier with the Benedictus due to the normal length of the first verse…)

As to the Antiphonale Monasticum from Praglia, if someone happens to have the sanctoral volume and could post a picture of the antiphon "O Doctor Optime," I'd appreciate it. I'd like to see how they handled the names of the doctors, which Solesmes was easily able to place under the chant; I'd like to get this "right" if I can, or at least ask for help.

Also, how is the psalmody arranged? Is it pointed, and regardless, where are the psalms placed in the book (in one place like in, say, the LU? or spread out?) I can see that the psalm is indicated at the end of an antiphon, but there are no page numbers. Idem for the Gospel canticles. Photos of that and of an ordinary office (like the psalter during the week) would also be appreciated.

Thank you so much!
    Thanked by 1ScottKChicago
  • GerardH
    AR 1 & 2 have the psalms from the Nova Vulgata printed and pointed below the antiphon every time they are used. Benedictus and Magnificat are provided with notation for the solemn incipits/mediations, and at the end of the volume in text-only pointed for every tone (simple meditation).
  • MatthewRoth
    And (especially for AR I) what about the differentiae? Those are sort of part of the problem with the default settings. I’ve resorted to printing mode I three times, but, and someone can correct me if I’m wrong, Solesmes was going to use Gregorio for its projects. (I’m relatively new to Gregorio, somewhat less to the gabc, so I have lots to learn…)
  • GerardH
    @MatthewRoth sending you a pm
  • chonakchonak
    The Gregobase site has gabc files prepared for the chants in the Liber already, so you might find it convenient to download from there and make adjustments as needed.
  • MatthewRoth
    Yes, I pull the gabc from there, fix spelling, add (2) so that the episema don’t touch, etc. No need to entirely reinvent the wheel…