Ave Regina Caelorum, w/ forbidden Hebrew word
  • Ave Regina Caelorum is sung from the Presentation until Passiontide, and at least some of that time is (often enough) outside of Septuagesimatide and Lent that a polyphonice setting which includes an Alleluia isn't oxymoronic. If one chooses to sing such a setting, should one lop off the Alleluia, finishing the piece early, or violate the liturgical ban on the use of this word? (The question, "Why not just use a setting which doesn't contain the forbidden Hebrew word?", while a valid question isn't germane to the puzzle I'm trying to solve.)
  • davido
    Leave off the alleluias in Lent.
    Also, do not program Alleluia, Sing to Jesus, All Creatures of Our God and King, etc.
  • Given the choice between keeping it and violating liturgical law versus lopping it off and NOT violating liturgical law, I'd say one ought to sharpen one's axe.
  • GerardH
    Or choose a different setting?
  • Liam
    Or, perhaps, sing "laus Deo" instead of the FHW?

(Unfortunately, Citrullus lanatus doesn't work as well as watermelon does in English...)
  • I checked with my choir director this morning. We're chopping off the Alleluia. Fortunately, although it renders the setting incomplete, it doesn't require cosmetic surgery.
  • CHGiffenCHGiffen
    Or ... you could sing my new setting posted a few days ago in this thread. It's free of the Lenten forbidden word, it's rather easy, and it has musical relevance in this time of strife in Ukraine.
  • chonakchonak
    I used to find people substituting "Hosanna" (or "Ho-si-an-na" -- is that correct?) for the A-word in Lent.
  • Kathy
    Also don't sing Let All Mortal Flesh, no matter how minor it sounds.
  • Richard MixRichard Mix
    "As with ceaseless voice they cry: 'Praise to you Lord Jesus Christ, King of endless glory'."
    Thanked by 1LauraKaz
  • When playing for a Lenten daily Mass at seminary years ago, I once absent-mindedly programmed "Let All Mortal Flesh". I didn't realize my error until I began playing the last verse, which was quite a moment of panic. Luckily the cantor was sharp and sang "amen" or some such instead. One of my more embarrassing moments.
    Thanked by 1LauraKaz
  • Richard MixRichard Mix
    We're chopping off the Alleluia.

Assuming this was Dufay, you could very easily have substituted the kosher "Amen".
  • We haven't managed to sing the Dufay yet, but that was the one we were going to sing.