Stabat Mater : adaptation by Koerber : for SATB Choir (Good Friday)
  • francis
    Story:

I was praying the Stations of the Cross on Good Friday. I got to the 14th Station and blam, this melody dropped on me like a rock as I meditated on Jesus being laid in the Sepulchre. After finishing praying the stations I quickly jotted down the melody and the harmony of the opening lines. The melody contains some strands of the traditional chant. I started fleshing this out on Easter week... (not a work I expected to take upon myself in Easter week, but I was moved to do so just the same.) It is not finished, but here is a preview of the piece in its half unfinished state... there are eight verses left to add.

In order to capture the tempo and the pathos of this demo I played it live on a keyboard.

http://www.myopus.com/preview/stabatMaterKoerber.mp4
  • CHGiffenCHGiffen
    This is already quite moving! Thank you for sharing what you've already done, and I look forward to the finished piece.
    Thanked by 1francis
  • Francis, in my view, what you've done here is quite beautiful and quite remarkable.
    Thanked by 1francis
  • francis
    hope to finish this week
    Thanked by 1CHGiffen
  • francis
    Finished this Saturday. Will post soon.
  • dad29
    As Roger Wagner said to Robert Shaw: "You have good ........STUFF!"
    Thanked by 1francis
  • The harmony from m. 21 on becomes so rich and exciting. Thank you for sharing this beautiful work.
    Thanked by 1francis
  • francis
    final version... a few manuscript errors left to clean up and a few audio delays and mishaps.

http://myopus.com/preview/koerberStabatMater.mp4
    Thanked by 1CHGiffen
  • Richard MixRichard Mix
    Happy to see underlay added; isn't the meter 3/2?
  • francis
    RM

Yes, you can reduce the fraction if you would like.

What is an underlay?
  • Richard MixRichard Mix
    Short for text underlay; in the short-score case I suppose I should have said 'overlay'.
    Thanked by 1francis
  • francis
    Am polishing for publishing. (putting in 3/2 time too)
    Thanked by 1CHGiffen
  • francis
    Found this recently and decided to give it to the world as a gift instead of selling it as a pub, compliments of MyOpus. I feel it is urgent that as many people sing this as possible in reparation to the IHM.

Perhaps for the 5th Friday in Lent or for Good Friday.

• francis
    bump
  • francis
    flute simulation...

(...emoting the condition of our present state of affairs...)
    Thanked by 1sdtalley3
  • bhcordovabhcordova
    francis, I just came across this! This is beautiful! Thanks for gifting it to us!
    Thanked by 1francis
  • francis
    bumping since Lent is fast approaching...
    Thanked by 1bhcordova
  • francis
    bumping again... has anyone ever used this for Stations or a meditation during lent?

Tried to upload file here with no success...

Hosted on my webserver here.

http://www.myopus.com/preview/stabatMater2023.mp4
  • francis
    Marek66 informed me of Cantamus software that will actually sing the text for a simulation... OK... it is still a bit synthetic, but a very interesting way to hear the polyphony. This was right out of the gate without any alterations. I may build in more rubato as it seems to ignore my ritards and accelerandos.
  • francis
    This version is about two hours of mixing individual tracks and adding crescendos and decrescendos on individual voice lines. Takes a lot of work to do this, but you can hear the polyphonic melodies better.