Non nobis Domine .... correct text?
  • David
    I'm trying to do the Patrick Doyle piece from the Henry V movie, "Non nobis Domine" with my choir. As a kid, I learned the song in a church group, and learned the words as "... sed nomini tuo da gloriam," with the final vowel of "nomini" being an "i". Now I'm looking at the score from Hal Leonard and it says "sed nomine ..." with an "e" instead.

Can't find it on hymnary.org, which makes sense, but that would usually be the source I'd trust the most. Wikipedia says it's an "i". Youtube videos seem to go either way.

Here's the weird part: when I plug the English into google translate, it comes out as an "i". BUT, when I plug the Latin in, the English comes out correct regardless of whether I use i or e. Does that mean it can be either?

Any Latin scholars on here know what's going on here?

Text and translation according to wikipedia:
    Non nobis Domine, non nobis, sed nomini tuo da gloriam.
    Not to us, Lord, not to us, but to thy name gave the glory.
  • sdtalley3sdtalley3
    The round by William Byrd puts it as “nomini”…Best I can do at the moment.
  • a_f_hawkins
    Its 68 years since I got a bit of paper to say I had enough Latin to enroll at University, but nomini is dative case, broadly indicating "to" or "for", while nomine is ablative broadly indicating "by" "with" or "from". So nomini is what we want here.
  • CHGiffenCHGiffen
    The Clementine Vulgate Psalm 113b:9 reads "Non nobis Domine, non nobis, sed nomini tuo da gloriam".
    Thanked by 3Liam sdtalley3 tomjaw
  • David
    'Preciate it!

-David