Year C Psalms in Anglican chant
  • Richard MixRichard Mix
    Continuation of an earlier thread. Extra eyes and proofreading most welcome!

Here are Epiphany, and OT 2 & 3 (Baptism seems a good time to give the choir a break and use George Jeffrey's solo setting of Psalm 104.)

The 3-fold division of text is something I ran into at Holy Family C; I wonder if there's a name for the neither-single-nor double-chant of my Brahms adaptation.
  • CHGiffenCHGiffen
    I've run into this 3-fold division problem before, but I've always used either a 4.4.6 or a 4.6.6 solution. I've never used a 4.6.4 solution such as yours. With the third line of verses 2 & 4 having quite a few syllables, I'd be more tempted to try a 4.4.6 or 4.6.6 solution. And I don't know a name for this sort of setting.
  • GerardH
    I wonder if there's a name for the neither-single-nor double-chant...

Sesquituple chant?
  • Richard MixRichard Mix
    Very plausible, Gerard ;-) Chuck, which 4.4.6 and 4.6.6 tunes do you resort to?

Here's OT 4 & 5; the lectionary's starting the second chunk of Psalm 138 in mid-verse seems boneheaded to me: Douay
    [2] I will worship towards thy holy temple, and I will give glory to thy name. For thy mercy, and for thy truth: for thou hast magnified thy holy name above all.
    becomes
    (refrain) [I will do those things…] 2. because of your | kindness | and your | truth.
    Thanked by 2canadash lbowman
  • Hi, all. I'm a bit new to the forum, and I just recently discovered Anglican chant. I'm currently trying to get my choir away from the St. Noel Chabanel Psalms (from CC Watershed) and especially away from the old Gather hymnal's psalms (with the horrific word changes). So, thank you for doing these! I wish I could offer some useful critique, but as I said, I'm new to the Anglican chant. I would definitely be interested in seeing more of these. :)
  • Richard MixRichard Mix
    Edits to above: missing inner voices for OT 4 respond; & missing barline for OT 2 verse 3.
  • There are indeed chants which exceed double chants in length..
    Quadruple and triple chants may be found in a very few books of chant, but really are very scarce.
    I have a book which has a few,
    The book, which has a black cover, is The Anglican Chant Book and is published by Novello.
    This may be of little help, for the title, or one very similar to it, is shared by quite a few books, all published by Novello.
  • I don't understand why people who have a feverish itch to create something new by taking something old, another's fine work, giving it an unneeded treatment and expecting every one bestow kudos on him or her. Just as when somone might put a Porsche engine in a, say, 1940 Packard and calling it 'improvement'; all the while expecting high kudos for their word bashing or cleverness. A sorry attempt at making what is paraded as art or ingenuity. But art has not been made -two things have been molested.
    Thanked by 1tomjaw
  • francis
    I don't understand why people who have a feverish itch to create something new by taking something old, another's fine work, giving it an unneeded treatment and expecting every one bestow kudos on and him or her. Just as when some might put a Porsche engine in a, say, 1945 Packard and calling it 'improvement'; all the while expecting high kudos for their word bashing A sorry attempt at making non art. But art has not been made -two things have been molested. Things are what they are only when they and what they were created as.
    a perfect description of the NO.
  • Richard MixRichard Mix
    OT 6 & 7.
  • Richard MixRichard Mix
    OT 8 C
  • Richard MixRichard Mix
    It's that time of year again when I crave a break from Guimont: OT 18-20.
    Thanked by 1CHGiffen
  • Richard MixRichard Mix
    OT 22 & 23
  • OT 24, to Allegri now we have a little extra rehearsal time (apologies for gross typos in tenor)

OT 25 & 26 to double chants

Do any of you occasionally use Stainer's Sonata Appassionata chant? Apparently a lot of Victorians happened to know one another: I was just reading The Progress of Assyriology and decided to look into the biography of one of my childhood heros, the egyptologist E. A. Wallace Budge. Guess who his mentor was at St Paul's?
    Thanked by 1CHGiffen
  • 27 C & 28 C (revised Sept 25. Let's just say I was deliberately testing to find out if anyone else was proofreading ;-)
    Thanked by 1CHGiffen
  • Richard MixRichard Mix
    29C & 30C (actually "the | guär- | dian of | Israel." or even "the guär- . dian of | Isra- | el."would be closer to our Californian idiom.)
    Thanked by 1CHGiffen
  • Richard MixRichard Mix
    31C & 32C, to an Elgar double chant.
    Thanked by 1CHGiffen
  • Richard MixRichard Mix
    All Saints
    Thanked by 1CHGiffen
  • Richard MixRichard Mix
    OT33C, XR/Advent 1A
    Thanked by 1CHGiffen
  • Richard MixRichard Mix
    Advent 2A, 3A;3C;4A, Conceptio BVM

Advent 2 erratum: bar 3 of Camidge's psalm tone begins of course with b-flat in alto; bar 9 tenor should read f g es as g

Immaculate Conception: verse 2 line 3 should go thru "kindness", but look for a thoroughly repointed version in a Year A thread.
    Thanked by 1CHGiffen
  • Richard MixRichard Mix
    Revised Xmas, BVM, Epiphany.
    Thanked by 1CHGiffen