Picking an Anglican Ordinariate parish to visit
  • drjones
    We've been studying the various options for using chant, both vernacular and Latin, in the OF. Visiting an Anglican Ordinariate parish for Sunday Mass seems like a fruitful option for obtaining additional insight in this area. We're located in the western United States; does anyone have suggestions for the top options (musically speaking) for a parish to visit?
  • I suggest that you define Western United States a little more narrowly, unless you want everything from Texas to Hawaii.

• irishtenoririshtenor
    St Barnabas in Omaha
  • I was going to suggest 'St Barnabas, but Irish beat me to it. it may be nearest to you.
    I don't know how far 'west' you really are - Walsingham may be an option.
    Sometimes, usually on more important days we do P-B, most of the time AUG. Sometimes the P-B gradual is sung, most of the time the psalm to Anglican chant. The solemn high mass is at 11.15. Though most of the Sunday morning masses have gotten to be more or less 'high'. The 8.00am mass is sung and features a Latin Gregorian ordinary sung lustiily by the congregation creed and all, and Latin propers sung by a cantor.
  • drjones
    Utah's the point of departure. I believe that makes the parish in Payson, Arizona geographically closest, but could be unaware of a parish or misjudging a distance.
  • It's not so much a question of distance between Utah and Arizona. There's a giant hole in the ground in the way.
  • drjones
    Flying is an option.
  • drjones
    I'm not familiar with all of the cities named in the list of Ordinariate parishes, so I might be missing something. Barring that, Holy Nativity (Payson, AZ) would be closest followed by Saint Barnabas (Omaha, NE). Is anyone familiar with Holy Nativity?
  • Ok. Since you can fly, Arizona is closer, but you may be required to wear a mask (and prove you're fully vaccinated against something, probably no longer COVID 19).
  • a_f_hawkins
    St Barnabas gives details of its musical approach, I haven't found anything about Holy Nativity.
  • CharlesW
    Glad you can pick an ordinariate parish to visit. Must be nice. They are as scarce as Democrats in my neck of the woods.
    Thanked by 2tomjaw cesarfranck
  • drjones
    I get the impression St. Barnabas is represented on this board as well -- probably a good sign :-)
  • drjones
    Following up -- we did eventually get down to Holy Nativity in Payson, AZ. Their music program is rebuilding, but we got a feel for the Ordinariate liturgy, with great willingness to share on the part of the pastor.
  • vansensei
    Very jealous. We had an Ordinariate parish in Minnesota, but it no longer exists. Very long story.
  • Reval
    Could you find some parishes that have their Mass online (still?). Then you could have a larger sample.
  • chonakchonak
    I have a nice video of the Anglican-use liturgy according to their previous liturgical book, "The Book of Divine Worship", made at Atonement parish in San Antonio:
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/1hy5ol52hpphlzh/Holy Mass According to The Book of Divine Worship - s00e01 - Holy Mass.m4v?dl=0
    Because the file is rather large, I will have to delete it fairly soon, so look at it now if you wish.
    Thanked by 1CHGiffen
  • chonakchonak
    If anyone else is looking for churches to visit, maybe a trip to L.A. would help: the area has four Ordinariate communities.
  • drjones
    We're still keeping an eye out for additional chances to visit Ordinariate parishes. I'll be keeping L.A. in mind -- and one of these days we may pass through Nebraska over a Sunday (or solemnity).