women singing the propers - arguments and documents supporting the practice
  • This is delicate. I have understood and have been told numbers of times from the past that the reasons for not allowing women to serve or perform roles in the sanctuary refers to women's natural and periodic effusion of blood. I find this to be an incredibly archaic, cruel, and paranoid hold over from at least Denisovan times. The downright pagan irrationality of these attitudes and laws seem as hilarious as barring men from the sanctuary because, now and then, we pee.

(This, however, is no advocacy for priestesses - that is another matter entirely, a matter which several recent popes have said is closed. Ditto servers, etc.)
  • CharlesW
    Some of this gets downright silly. Rather than Catholics celebrating a form of mass that existed in 1962, we get medieval reenactors who want to out "pure" each other. It is almost like little Muslims saying, "woman, cover your elbows. Unclean!" I see no valid reason why women can't chant Propers. In reality, the Propers are such a minor part of the Mass they could be dropped or even hymns substituted for them. No harm would be done. But not in Pharisee land. Larger head coverings, skirts to ankles, and staying in the basement where they belong for women. And drag out those old, superseded documents from another time and place and argue they are relevant today. It's ridiculous. No wonder the church wanted liturgical reform, although one could say it, too, went off the rails. Tendencies to excess abound both then and now.
  • CCoozeCCooze
    Are people advocating that polyphonic propers could only be sung by men and boys?

I don't think so. Because I think that is different.
    I know that sounds odd, but go back and listen to the way the Requiem Mass was done that I mentioned (Officer Talley, Denver Cathedral Basilica). Anything that was *only* chanted, was chanted by *only* men. Everything else was fair game.

As for
    the Propers are such a minor part of the Mass they could be dropped or even hymns substituted for them. No harm would be done.

I can't even remotely agree. I can see where you might argue something about rubrics, but why should things be removed from Mass?
    There are so many extra places that hymns and motets can go.
    It's frustrating that people think the Novus Ordo was needed because of readings, etc., when they're more than willing to remove the propers, which contain a lot of psalms and other scripture references.
  • CharlesW
    The propers are mostly random bits of scripture out of context and having little relation to what is going on in the liturgy. You may like the music, which I think for chant lovers is their greatest appeal, anyway. If they were not there would it take away from the liturgy? Probably not. If you want to argue points on removing things from the mass, how about getting rid of the chopped up versions of psalms and propers and restoring what they were originally. Strange that hardly anyone advocates that. I know, it would make the mass too long.
    Thanked by 1JulieColl
  • a_f_hawkins
    hymns substituted for them. No harm would be done.
    No! not unless the Church had authorised those hymns through a rigourous centralised vetting procedure.
    ut legem supplicandi lex statuat credendi
    so that the law of praying establishes the law of believing
    Prosper of Aquitane
    While I do not see the (minor) propers as generally contributing much to the prayer (little or nothing on most ferias), there are significant and memorable exceptions. Generally we would be better off returning to the idea of relevant psalms, contextualised with selected antiphons. I expect a hard time justifying that!
  • Interesting, isn't it, Charles, that those who aver with more puffed up pride than authority that such and such makes the mass too long never seem to be thinking of their own likes and dislikes which may make the mass even longer. It all comes down to what I like and if I have the power to prevail. Homilies (seldom of any depth), too, and often, make the mass longer that just about anything else. They should rarely exceed ten or twelve minutes - but to mention it would be lese majeste in most places. (Why is it that most of those who preach the longest often have the littlest to say?)
    Thanked by 3CharlesW CHGiffen Elmar
  • Richard MixRichard Mix
    Boys sound different from girls (and women) and the esprit de corps is, unavoidably, different.
    It should be noted that the first part of that statement is not borne out in blind auditions.
  • Richard,

Can you point me that, somewhere?
  • Much as it sticks in my craw to admit it, I have observed, with Richard, that there is negligible (negligible, but still evident in terms of timbre and breath) but present difference between the singing voices of boys and girls. The key to the magical sound is prepubescence. It is this factor that is responsible for the unmatched crystaline timbre of these trebles. A quality that the adult woman cannot match no matter how well she tries. There is always that dead give away degree of heaviness, breathiness, uncontrollable, even if it's miniscule, bit of vibrato. If one listens very carefully to groups like the Tallis Scholars this will become evident. There is even a tendency for the women to obscure the clarity of the lower voices - a thing which does not happen when the trebles are boys and or girls.

Ladies! Do not take this as a diatribe against you incomparable voices. I could not begin adequately to express the heavenly delight I have had in directing fabulous women's voices in my choirs or as soloists - so it's really a matter of both in his and her sphere, not one over the other. Each has a repertory that only he or she excels at to a higher degree than the other.

Boys and girls could not sing like adults if they tried.
    Neither should adult women fool themselves into thinking that they can sound like boys. Many do and come close, but it's physically impossible for them to make it all the way.

Then, there is the matter of the castrato, into which we shan't venture too much. There, it can seem, is a prepubescent voice with the power of an adult male - a unique phenomenon. I'm glad that they stopped doing that barbaric savagery to people. It is really sad, astonishing, that at recently as the early XXth century these men were treasured fixtures at the Vatican.
    Thanked by 3CHGiffen tomjaw Elmar
  • CHGiffenCHGiffen
    As an example of stunningly pure, straight tone soprano singing (and such singing in the other parts, too), there is no better example than the a cappella arrangement (by musical director Barnaby Smith) of the Pie Jesu by Gabriel Fauré sung by VOCES8 - with Andrea Haines on the solo soprano part:

width="1280" height="720">
    Thanked by 1M. Jackson Osborn
  • Richard MixRichard Mix
    The curtained audition gauntlet was thrown in the 1980's and the gambit widely declined. A few seconds with google turns up a 2011 study as well as some 2003 blustering. I'm not sure where a 2019 suit against the Berlin State and Cathedral Choir stands right now.
  • Richard MixRichard Mix
    There's an interesting survey of the 2016 UK situation in the Church Times. Meantime, the Campaign for the Traditional Cathedral Choir website seems to be defunct.
  • MatthewRoth

The propers are mostly random bits of scripture out of context and having little relation to what is going on in the liturgy. You may like the music, which I think for chant lovers is their greatest appeal, anyway. If they were not there would it take away from the liturgy? Probably not. If you want to argue points on removing things from the mass, how about getting rid of the chopped up versions of psalms and propers and restoring what they were originally. Strange that hardly anyone advocates that. I know, it would make the mass too long.

I've been told that even Bugnini believed that removing the propers was a bad idea. He hated doubling, so he mostly removed propers from the missal, and then by the time a reordered Gradual was issued, chant was mostly dead.

The propers more or less fit together in a way that is greater than the sum of their parts, as propers are repeated, were not always on the exact same Sunday in antiquity, etc.

To restore the propers fully would be archaeologism. We don't really know what this looked like though I'd like the schola to occasionally repeat the Gradual as a true responsory on days without a Tract or Alleluia (T and Th of Lent, Advent feria).
  • CharlesW
    The propers need some serious editing. I remember that it took around nine years to translate them into English. By then, everyone had moved on to something else. Given the differences between the old and new rites, they didn't fit the OF at times during the year and gave the impression of being cobbled together. Archaeologism is not always a bad thing if it results in a superior product.
    Thanked by 1M. Jackson Osborn
  • a_f_hawkins
    If you accept McKinnon's thesis in The Advent Project, half of them had been hastily cobbled together in 7th century. What we have had since then is an unfinished product!
  • dad29
    I have understood and have been told numbers of times from the past that the reasons for not allowing women to serve or perform roles in the sanctuary refers to women's natural and periodic effusion of blood.

One suspects that bit of "knowledge" comes from Rome-hating CoE types.

There are two far-more-logical possible reasons: 1) Women were NOT permitted in the sanctuary-choir. That was the case in the Eastern Rites and in Orthodox Judaism, and in the Temple during the time of Christ. Alternative, or perhaps co-temporal: 2) women in the group may have presented a temptation to activities not consonant with the 6th or 9th Commandments. (There are PLENTY of examples of that which emerged during my lifetime, by the way, and the women were not even in the sanctuary.)

If you have documentation of the 'menstrual' thesis, please provide it!
  • MatthewRoth
    . Given the differences between the old and new rites, they didn't fit the OF at times during the year and gave the impression of being cobbled together.

But the NO lectionary is already cobbled together. The general cursus, or at least the themes, of the epistles are the same for the Sundays of the year, yet the lectionary group only paired the Gospels and OT readings…
  • CharlesW
    I remember, from my days in a national lab, an engineer complaining about having his technical writing edited before being published. He maintained he had a right to write as he pleased. The head of the publishing arm of the lab told him he also had a right to be understood. A lesson sadly lost on the lectionary editors.
  • a_f_hawkins
    Louis Bouyer, who was involved in the Consilium, describes the devisers of the Calendar as "a trio of maniacs" and "these three hotheads", he continues (Memoirs p233)
    because the Pope wanted to finish up quickly to avoid the chaos getting out of hand, their project, however insane, was accepted!
  • JulieCollJulieColl
    Someone mentioned above that at the Requiem Mass for Officer Talley the chanting was done only by men. I don't claim to know who organized that Mass, but I think there are some relevant questions. Why weren't there any women singing? The fact that they were excluded should make us wonder why. Is it a practical, aesthetical or ideological reason?Were they excluded on this one occasion, or are they always excluded? I don't claim to know the answer, but I think it's a relevant and fair question.

Apropos the Requiem Mass, there is a video of a solemn Requiem Mass for a priest in France at which the entire congregation sings all of the propers: priests, nuns, laymen and laywomen, boys and girls. They also sing all of the chants at the grave site.

Reminds me of my priest friend who was a former Benedictine monk who said the Introit was supposed to be an entrance song sung by the whole congregation. This was also the case with the Communion antiphon.

This goes back to the principle elucidated by ae hawkins the other day when he pointed to the third degree of participation in De Musica Sacra at the High Mass which allows anyone in the congregation with proficient skill to sing the propers.

This corresponds with the fourth degree of participation at the Low Mass in De Musica which allows congregations with proficient Latin skill and training to recite the propers with the priest.

So here's my question: if the rubrics are the controlling law of the 1962 Missale Romanum (as verified by Universae Ecclesiae), and Rubric 272 of the 1962 Missale Romanum cites De Musica Sacra as THE document to be followed concerning participation, why is this still an issue in Latin Mass communities?

Is De Musica Sacra taught in the seminaries of the orders that celebrate the TLM? Is Rubric 272 covered?

Just askin'.
  • JulieCollJulieColl
    P.S. I've been watching the livestream of Holy Week liturgy at St. Nicolas du Chardonnet in Paris, and they have a small schola of priests and clerics in the sanctuary who sing the propers at their principal masses. They also have a mixed schola who sing at other masses, so that's really an excellent paradigm, I think. Nice to have so many priests available in a parish. Amazing.

Last night at the Easter Vigil, they baptized ten young men!
  • dad29
    Why weren't there any women singing?

First guess: they had enough competent men. The custom is this: if you have enough competent men, women do NOT sing the Propers. You may call it "exclusion," but that's creating a narrative.
    Thanked by 2CCooze MatthewRoth
  • Chrism
    I don't claim to know who organized that Mass, but I think there are some relevant questions. Why weren't there any women singing? The fact that they were excluded should make us wonder why. Is it a practical, aesthetical or ideological reason?Were they excluded on this one occasion, or are they always excluded? I don't claim to know the answer, but I think it's a relevant and fair question.

I can't endorse questioning the music decisions made for a Mass, barring at least some information to indicate that the music is bad, unfitting for divine worship, or otherwise against the law of the Church. It is damaging enough to speak poorly of a Catholic Mass, musician, or clergyman when there is known cause to speak poorly, and the benefits and circumstances must be carefully weighed, but where there is no obvious cause for complaint? I admit that I did not watch the video of the Requiem, but by all accounts it was sung beautifully and in accordance with the rubrics for the Latin Mass, and edified and evangelized a great many due to the wide broadcast it received.

I spoke earlier of the smell of sulphur, and I regret that it has returned.

if the rubrics are the controlling law of the 1962 Missale Romanum (as verified by Universae Ecclesiae), and Rubric 272 of the 1962 Missale Romanum cites De Musica Sacra as THE document to be followed concerning participation, why is this still an issue in Latin Mass communities?

RGMR 272 says, "Of its nature the Mass demands that all those present take part in it, after the manner proper to them. A choice must be made, however, among the various ways in which the faithful may take part actively in the most holy sacrifice of the Mass, in such a way that any danger of abuse may be removed, and the special aim of the participation may be realized, namely a fuller measure of worship offered to God and of edification obtained for the faithful."

It is precisely this choice which prevents us from using DMS 25 and 26 as a mandate to force a particular style of participation on a local community.
    Thanked by 2tomjaw CCooze
  • Chrism

But with regard to women singing the propers, it would seem to me that if there are women who know how to chant well, IF there are no competent men to fulfill the role, they could be allowed to sing the propers, so that Mass can be sung as often as possible. However, this should only be allowed under the condition that there is the explicit goal of men (or even just A man) being trained to replace the women as soon as possible.
    3) Even in the case that there are women chanters available and no men, it would still seem laudable to just have Low Masses until there is one man who can chant propers, since I personally would not be able to argue with someone who would not want to encourage something which is technically incorrect (i.e. a non-consecrated woman singing propers).

You might think these things, but you will find opposition in the rubrics themselves which favor better music over inferior, choirs over soloists, High Masses over Low Masses, Graduale propers over Psalm tones or recto tono, and which declare correct the singing of propers by non-consecrated women when justified. You might say that men are preferred over women as well, but that does not eliminate the other principles which find clear expression in the law of the Church effective at the Traditional Mass. Balancing these principles according to the actual local situation, and the mind of the Church, requires prayer and discernment by those with the lawful authority to make these decisions.

• tomjaw
    Someone mentioned above that at the Requiem Mass for Officer Talley the chanting was done only by men. I don't claim to know who organized that Mass, but I think there are some relevant questions. Why weren't there any women singing?
    @JulieColl
    This is the problem of the internet we can watch ONE service and see things but are they the norm? At my parish over the last week, if you had been to all the services you will have heard male cantors, female cantors, male choirs (greek choir), female choirs latin choir), you may have also heard the children singing with us. We also had 3, 4 and 5 part polyphony. But if you had come to Tenebrae on Wednesday you will have seen a group of men on the Sanctuary singing everything and no female choir members in sight or even in the church.

I would not see a problem if Parish A, had an all male schola that sang every Mass in choir, as long as the Parish down the road had a female schola, or even a mixed schola singing from the choir loft. The first chant schola I sang with was run by a woman, but she just conducted, it was the men that sang the chant. When my mother took over, this continued for a few years until the younger men went off to the newly opened traditional community, and the older members entered the eternal choir.

In my Parish we sing Polyphonic ordinaries with Credo, we also sing the full cycle polyphonic Propers. But we also have days when we sing Chant Propers and Chant Ordinaries, so we provide a mixture of the treasures of Church music. But it is not wrong for a church choir to just sing chant, or for another church just to have polyphonic ordinaries, or for another place only to sing polyphonic cycles of propers.

It would be wrong for the Church to ban women from singing chant but I don't see the problem if one parish only has a male schola.
    Thanked by 1gsharpe34
  • SalieriSalieri
    This is an American problem, devised by people obsessed with paper, and without a real living tradition. It is also, like many problems in American TLM communities, the fault of laymen with nothing better to do than to comb through documents and 19th century manuals which they don't understand, finding the Answers to the Universe, and running into the sacristy after Mass to ambush the priest to tell him that he's not holding his hands at the correct position during the orans, or that the candles aren't at the right height, or that he isn't wearing silver buckles on his shoes so the Mass might be invalid, etc., etc., etc.
  • 2) women in the group may have presented a temptation to activities not consonant with the 6th or 9th Commandments. (There are PLENTY of examples of that which emerged during my lifetime, by the way, and the women were not even in the sanctuary.)

Really? Could you please provide me with some modern examples? This has not been my experience. On the contrary, my presence in the schola put an almost complete end to the immodest speech and issues of double entendres in the Latin text that some of the men struggled with (which, according to a priest from the FSSP is also an issue with seminarians at their OLG seminary, which is an all-male facility). There is the odd slip up, but quickly followed by an apology to me. Men need to learn how to work and interact with women appropriately. That’s not to say that relationships might not form. My grandmother was the parish organist and met my grandfather in the choir/schola. Nothing wrong with that.

One of the reasons why I offered to join my choir’s, at the time, male schola, was because I was discerning religious life and wanted to learn how to sing chant so that a)I’d be more able to adjust to singing the Divine Office in Latin, and in chant if I entered into a community that has a strong custom and practice of Latin and Gregorian Chant, b) if I entered into a community that wasn’t already doing this, I would have something to bring with me and, one day, introduce it to the community, and c) I had the extra time before Mass for chant practice and had nothing better to do with my time.

The women who sing soprano and alto in our choir do not get the same level of learning to sing chant that the schola gets, which is unfortunate. It makes no sense to me why parishes don’t teach their women how to sing the chant propers. You’re not always going to have enough men to sing the propers. Funerals usually happen during the day during the work week, which is when most men are working, and stay at home mothers are more available to be at the church during the day, same with special feast days. Not to mention women also get called to religious vocations.
  • the problem of the internet

Sidebar: Is there only one problem of the internet?
    Thanked by 1chonak
  • Elmar
    On the contrary, my presence in the schola put an almost complete end to the immodest speech and issues of double entendres [...] There is the odd slip up, but quickly followed by an apology to me. Men need to learn how to work and interact with women appropriately.
    Exactly same experience, that's why I generally don't like all-male environments.

BTW we have to be aware that for a small but significant percentage of the population, temptation concerning the 6th Commandment comes from the same sex; these people have no protection at all against their 'weakness of the flesh' from male/female segregation. (I had one such encounter, rather innocent but totally unaware that I might be the temptation, in the army.)
  • Interesting studies, Richard -
    So, nine year old girl sues a German boys' choir to satisfy her unbridled pride and her contempt for a nine hundred year old choir of boys. Such selfish imposition is a cruelty, and a loss to all of us.

Singing in a boys' choir or one of men and boys is a magically profound and educational experience for boys who live to sing and whose fellowship is a life-long gift. Gender bias and other absurdly biased epithets are totally irrelevant. this is about the unique qualities of boyness and becoming mature men. To rob them of this, or having it invaded by those who are not boys is contemptible, selfish, and cruel. I have heard a number of visiting English choirs and have seen a number of the boys in tears after their evensongs or concerts, having reached a certain age and knowing that this was their last one. This is their treasure. What person whose heart isn't made of stone would want to smash into this gift from God. Go join a girl's choir - there are many to choose from.
    Thanked by 1dad29
  • dad29
    Really? Could you please provide me with some modern examples?

You want me to name names? Sorry, THAT won't happen. But there are examples:

One well-known choral director in the Western US had at least 2 children by different female members of the chorus. In my home town, the choral director of a large city-wide faith-based group had to leave town (with his gal-pal) after they were discovered in flagrante....

Both within my lifetime.

There are other similar stories with which I am personally aware which did not make the newspapers or 'common knowledge,' but it's far more common than you think--and it IS one of the stated reasons that women were not part of church choirs until the 1950's--and then only under duress due to the lack of trained boys. That was Pius XII, 1956 IIRC.

YMMV
    Thanked by 1gsharpe34
  • CharlesW
    Women are half of humanity, so it seems to me the misogynists need to learn how to deal with them appropriately.

So...if women sing the propers do they become impropers?

• PeterJ
    The most beautiful sound that was ever sung in praise of God was the sound of our Blessed Lady singing her Magnificat and, in due course, singing the Lord’s praises to her little baby, the Word incarnate, as she cradled him in her arms. She is the Queen of the Angels, and Queen of the Seraphim with whom we sing in the sacred liturgy.

That has to mean something. I find it difficult to understand the position of those who would take objection to the daughters of our Blessed Lady having a role in a schola.

At the same time, there is no evidence of which I am aware that suggests the Jewish Temple Virgins sang in the Temple liturgy: the Temple choir comprised 12 Levite men and boys (Mishnah Arukhin 2:6). And then I seem to remember my liturgical history books describing a close connection between the deacon and the music of the Mass (which would be a natural enough progression in view of the foregoing) which eventually widened beyond clerics to choirs of men and boys. How much significance we should draw from that is hard to say: it is natural that liturgical chant in a Cathedral, say, would historically be associated with the educated clerics who would singing chant all the time and able to remember it. Yet that also potentially speaks of the profound proximity of liturgical music to the essentially masculine liturgical action in the sanctuary.

Again, these sorts of considerations are not readily cast aside as insignificant.

So whilst my own little choir (when it meets from time to time) is mixed (and thank heavens for the ladies in it) I think it is important to respect the choices of choir directors who might, say, restrict the propers to the men. For my part, my inclination is to see all of the chants (both Ordinaries and Propers) as the song of the bride to her bridegroom, such that it makes little sense to limit the song to men: but that said, where a Proper is relaying something like “The Lord said...” (eg Dominus dixit ad me) I prefer to keep that to the men if numbers will allow.
    Thanked by 1CatherineS
  • I haven't the slightest problem with women as lectors. But there are readings for which their voices seem a little ill suited. I have in mind certain commanding episodes from the prophets, particularly Jeremiah and Isiah, etc. When assigniing readings one should take into account the quality of voice suitable to those readings, whether they are male or female - it should be noted that there are, indeed, some male voices which are equally lacking for some of the prophetic readings mentioned above. The worst 'lectors' are those who really don't 'deliver' their readings, they just get up there and 'read' them as if they were sitting at home.
  • Elmar
    dad29,
    As we all know, improper (6th Commandment) behavior of directors/superiors isn't restricted to be against females. I think this kind of consideration has 0% relevance to what women should or shouldn't sing in liturgy.
  • One well-known choral director in the Western US had at least 2 children by different female members of the chorus.

I believe that would be the fault of the director since he was in a position of power over the two females. He shouldn’t have (I’m assuming) hooked up with them. How does that even happen? Sounds to me like all three parties have issues with living a virtuous life. It’s one thing for a choir director and a choir member enter into a mutual desired relationship to discern marriage in a proper Catholic courtship. Hooking up is entirely different. Do people not have self control? My mind is blown.
    Thanked by 1Elmar
  • CCoozeCCooze
    Women are half of humanity, so it seems to me the misogynists need to learn how to deal with them appropriately.

This is a major issue.
    The fact that people (generally, males, most often white males, and even more often white "Christian" males) are constantly called misogynists, racists, _____ists/phobes as a go-to smack-down is so beyond ridiculous.

Why weren't there any women singing? The fact that they were excluded should make us wonder why. Is it a practical, aesthetical or ideological reason?Were they excluded on this one occasion, or are they always excluded? I don't claim to know the answer, but I think it's a relevant and fair question.

I disagree. As I said, the women sang everything that wasn't chanted. And there was a lot that wasn't chanted. But, even so, must we automatically think, "oh, those/we poor, oppressed women!?"
    It was sung at an American diocese's cathedral basilica. I highly doubt the norm there is to not let women sing chant, but even so, given the men's wonderful ability to do so, and the vast amount of polyphony that still went into a Requiem, during Holy Week, really wouldn't make one think that we poor darlings, as a sex, are subjugated to listening to men skillfully chant the few Mass propers that aren't sung in polyphony.

I don't mean to come across as ranting, but honestly, in my experience it's hard enough for men to get anything to themselves without constantly being assailed by feminist activists who either attack their desire for brotherhood as being too insecure to have women around, too masculine to allow women around, or too stuck "in the past" to let "things change" to an acceptable point of women running every single thing and making every decision that could ever possibly affect any female at any time in the future, because otherwise it's a sexist environment.

Am I exaggerating a little bit? Sure...

We hosted a pro-life, preemptive meeting because Planned Parenthood has posted job openings in our city (which is, thankfully, an "abortion desert"). My co-chair's husband was going to give a short "pro-life history throughout the ages" story before introducing us, but when the news decided to show up, he figured he probably couldn't, because the story would be spun to suggest that "a local, male professor had the audacity to allow and introduce his pregnant wife to speak at a local church... (1C14:34, anyone? Those hypocrites!)"
  • CharlesW
    Granted, all males are not misogynists. But more than enough choir directors and priests are. You don't have to look far to find examples. I know of men who refuse to work with women and that seems to me not right.
    Thanked by 1CHGiffen
  • MatthewRoth
    eminds me of my priest friend who was a former Benedictine monk who said the Introit was supposed to be an entrance song sung by the whole congregation. This was also the case with the Communion antiphon.

This seems to be twentieth-century wishful thinking.

It would be wrong for the Church to ban women from singing chant

Why? I can't see why it would be against divine or natural law, but it's certainly imprudent, and it's totally out of the question today.

I believe that would be the fault of the director since he was in a position of power over the two females. He shouldn’t have (I’m assuming) hooked up with them. How does that even happen? Sounds to me like all three parties have issues with living a virtuous life. It’s one thing for a choir director and a choir member enter into a mutual desired relationship to discern marriage in a proper Catholic courtship. Hooking up is entirely different. Do people not have self control? My mind is blown.

I'm really unconvinced by the argument that the director was in a "position of power" over the two women ("females" or "males" as a noun is extremely grating except in police dispatches), particularly knowing choral culture for what it is… which is the one bone that I'll throw: Catholics are the only remaining tradition with any sort of choral tradition that refuses any sort of other arrangement besides the enduring union of a man and a woman.

In any case, I'm also really unconvinced that all-male environments need to be abolished due to the presence of people who joke about unchastity. Women are not primarily tools for the education of men, and the priest, schola director, or other singers, that is, other men, need to hold the bad ones accountable. The mere presence of a woman need not be necessary to get people into shape.

Tl; dr: abusus non tollit usum. We would do well to remember that.
  • Chrism
    Men need to learn how to work and interact with women appropriately. That’s not to say that relationships might not form. My grandmother was the parish organist and met my grandfather in the choir/schola. Nothing wrong with that.

True (checking Safety materials to be sure), but there are environments better suited for discerning consecrated life, environments better suited for discerning secular priesthood, and environments better suited for discerning the married state. Millennia of experience has taught religious superiors that male and female postulants shouldn't generally mix (if they wish to stay postulants). If a pastor wants to have separate men's and women's choirs, or separate men's and women's young adults' groups, that's really his call. The music lobby (which we are) doesn't need to have a position on it.
  • CharlesW
    In many places, our individual music lobby may not have enough people to be that picky. We take what we can get.
    Thanked by 1bhcordova
  • Schönbergian
    In my view, there is a clear difference between arguing for the existence of same-sex choral bodies, which absolutely have their place for many reasons, and arguing for a blanket ban on women singing the proper for reasons as silly as "they will distract the men", which does unfortunately reek of misogyny, or at least a gross lack of discernment. We can be supportive of both unisex and same-sex ensembles without falling back on tired clichés.

This is a major issue.
    The fact that people (generally, males, most often white males, and even more often white "Christian" males) are constantly called misogynists, racists, _____ists/phobes as a go-to smack-down is so beyond ridiculous.

Corinne, I agree with you, but we have to be cautious not to let the pendulum swing too far in the other way and automatically discount every usage of these terms as gratuitous. Occasionally they really do apply, and for reasons more serious than for which the terms are typically thrown around today.
  • Schoenbergian,

Perhaps a temporary moratorium on these mostly flaccid terms?
  • SalieriSalieri
    They do apply in certain situations, but the world that we are living in, where "music theory is racist" or "math is racist" are legitimate arguments against teaching them at Universities, these once-powerful words are on the verge, thanks to the woke, of being devoid of all true meaning. Those who fling them about willynilly against anything that they don't like, will soon become a parody of themselves.
  • CCoozeCCooze
    I know of men who refuse to work with women and that seems to me not right

I can see that being the case, both in general and from prior experience.
    How many times are we supposed to repeat/try something before we are considered insane?

I also tend to work and socialize better with men than women.
    As a female, that can create quite a conundrum.
  • a_f_hawkins
    Chrism - I don't know how it is now, but postulants, novices and the professed used to be discouraged from 'particular attachments'. It was evident to my wife when teaching in a seminary in the 1990's that they did not apply such a policy, unfortunately.
    Thanked by 1CCooze
  • I'm really unconvinced by the argument that the director was in a "position of power" over the two women

As someone in a parish leadership position, the onus is on him to keep appropriate boundaries. Parishes have policies on these things for employees and volunteers.
  • MatthewRoth

As someone in a parish leadership position, the onus is on him to keep appropriate boundaries. Parishes have policies on these things for employees and volunteers.

I don't think that you're getting my point. The first is that "position of power" is a way to cast all responsibility onto the director. No, it's a two-way street, and besides, in far too many instances, there's absolutely nothing except this "power imbalance" stopping people from doing, well, whatever, fornicating being one of the things involved. That is, consent is the primary factor, which is why I wouldn't talk about a power imbalance; if they were two section leaders or even just singers, it still wouldn't be okay, even though they're equals.

I'd rather that we just say that fornicating and adultery are wrong. There is perhaps a gravity that compounds a sin when it comes to using one's position, but it is perfectly possible to have bad relations with inferiors that didn't use one's position to get there.

It looks bad, and I'll think less of the person, but to put the emphasis on power imbalances is to miss the point.
  • dad29
    improper (6th Commandment) behavior of directors/superiors isn't restricted to be against females

Let me get this straight: you acknowledge that sin is entirely possible if not likely, so therefore, let's set up the circumstances for sin.

Sure. That makes sense.

FYI, all the choirs which I directed and sang in were mixed male/female. The objection I noted was that used prior to 1956 (IIRC). Unfortunate that you didn't ask the right question before you commented.

As to homosexual improprieties: you may be more familiar with that than I. Never saw it going on--but then, there were some parties to which I was not invited.
  • Elmar
    The objection I noted was that used prior to 1956 (IIRC). Unfortunate that you didn't ask the right question before you commented.
    As to homosexual improprieties: you may be more familiar with that than I. Never saw it going on--but then, there were some parties to which I was not invited.
    Sorry if I misunderstood you, like implying that pre-1956 rules were something that we should still learn from in this context, or even should have been kept.

As to familiarity with homosexuality: I used to (uncritically) view all-male environments as obviously un-erotic by design, until I learned from a 'special' (but harmless) encounter with another soldier that some of us were constantly surrounded by sexually attractive people.
    I think it is fair to conclude that some clerics, monks etc. have always been living in this parallel world of what was supposed to be protective against lust.