women singing the propers - arguments and documents supporting the practice
  • CharlesW
    And don't get me started on veils!

Veils are interesting. With the Latins, women sat with men and covered their heads. In some eastern churches, women never sat with men and may or may not have worn head coverings. I think St. Paul's admonitions have been interpreted and practiced differently over time and place. Someone said, when watching TLM veiled ladies entering the church for the TLM mass that follows our last morning NO mass, "Here come the Muslim terrorists." A bit extreme, but if you knew some of those ladies you might consider the terrorists rather tame in comparison. ;-)
    Thanked by 2JulieColl bhcordova
  • JulieCollJulieColl
    I prefer hats over veils any day of the week and twice on Sundays.

If you want to know why this Catholic traddie lady wouldn't be caught dead wearing a veil (or hijab), it can all be traced back to the day I was told to wear a paper towel on my head since I had forgotten to bring a veil . . .
  • StimsonInRehabStimsonInRehab
    Meh. I've known non-veiled women to go on 'jihads' of sorts (as well as a few pro-choice veilers in my day), so results may vary. Not gonna lie - there is something very attractive about women wearing head coverings to me. Probably contradicts to what St. Paul was going for. :S
  • JulieCollJulieColl
    I admit some ladies do look lovely in veils, but I've found that it's usually the sweet ladies who look best in them. Battle axes should wear hats with pins in them. : )
    Thanked by 2bonniebede bhcordova
  • JulieCollJulieColl
    You've just got to admire these fine ladies in their hats:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cbA8prdCKOc&feature=kp
  • CharlesW
    English ladies look magnificent in their hats. BTW, my choir is singing that hymn Sunday. Love it!
  • Liam
    That was for the Diamond Jubilee service in June 2012. An exceptional occasion, just for context.
  • SalieriSalieri
    As part of the Rosary Sodality's centenary, the ladies decided to all wear hats to their Patronal Mass & meeting in Oct.- It was stunning.

Does anyone else remember the very elegant lady walking into Sunday Mass at Colloquium xxiii in SLC? Wow!
  • Stimson, thanks for the long reply.
    All things considered, I think girls and women should be trained. With respect for your understanding about the wishes of St. Pius X, there has been much written about what he meant regarding women singing propers. I hope you are familiar with arguments counter to your opinion, honestly I'm too tired to rehash them again.

Let me be clear: I think you are making a big mistake in not allowing women to sing propers.

And here's why: (Ben, if you're still reading... I sincerely hope you would allow women to sing alongside you.)

Perhaps the greatest reason I've witnessed to allow girls and women to study and sing the propers is the spiritual benefits girls and women derive from their labors.

Men's opinions have real effects in this area. I've trained young women who prepare their prayers thoroughly, take delight in them, can learn a tough offertory in 20-30 min, and recall their favorite and most spiritually nourishing propers on a dime. Singing the liturgical prayers is an integral part of their spiritual lives. Then they move or go to college, and (so far only OF situations, oddly) the man in charge of the men's schola does not wish to have women in the club. The young women report that they are heartbroken, and greatly miss that part of their spiritual lives. I encourage them to resist any bitterness and chant the propers alone, during a holy hour or such, or to form scholas if they are allowed.

I would most ardently urge all to weigh the spiritual lives of girls and young women in the balance, when the prudential decision is left to us musicians.

And to put the obvious questions out there again:
    What harm does it do to allow girls and women to sing propers? What good does it do?

Let us weigh not merely according to our own tastes and opinions, Stimson, Mark, etc. There are more people concerned than you, and their spiritual lives matter. Patiently, and persistently I ask you: do not begrudge them, do not dismiss them. I have a clear conscience in this matter, and only press into this tiresome area (where I'd hope more male colleagues would weigh in) because I've known the sadness involved in not allowing women to sing propers. I think it is wrong, and entirely avoidable for the faithful Catholic.
    Thanked by 1SrEleanor
  • Also, Stimson, I do not have a terminal degree in music yet, FYI. I took time off after my BM and MM to have more children. The PhD will wait for me- I only have so many years to raise my children.

I work diligently, but for me only part time. This way I can homeschool my boys, along with my musician husband who has a flexible schedule.
  • gregpgregp
    Another report from "on the ground" - we have had a mixed schola from the very beginning (2007). We have about two-thirds women and one-third men. Practically speaking, there is no way we could do the Propers without the women.

But as MACW said, the idea that some of the women will take this idea and run with it into other areas, such as the priesthood, is laughable in the extreme. Most of them are homeschooling moms, and I have NEVER met people who, as a group, are so dedicated and faithful to the Church and the Magisterium as they are.

I should mention also that our community has had a Missa Cantata every Sunday from the very beginning; the Low Mass is something that only happens on First Saturdays and Holydays of Obligation when it is not possible (usually because of servers) to put a High Mass together. I think partly for this reason, we bypassed the "bitter trads who only want the Low Mass with hymns" situation. No one in our community is looking backward; less than 10% even were alive to remember. The Extraordinary Form is all its glory is their reality.
    Thanked by 1melofluent
  • JahazaJahaza
    Veils are interesting. With the Latins, women sat with men and covered their heads.

Actually, the 1917 Latin Code of Canon Law specified that men and women were ideally to sit separately in Church. This was observed in few places even in 1917 (I've heard, IIRC, that it was done some places in Ireland) and in fewer still as the century wore on.

Can 1262 §1. Optandum ut, congruenter antiquae disciplinae, mulieres in ecclesia separatae sint a viris.
    §2. Viri in ecclesia vel extra ecclesiam, dum sacris ritibus assistunt, nudo capite sint, nisi aliud ferant probati populorum mores aut peculiaria rerum adiuncta; mulieres autem, capite cooperto et modeste vestitae, maxime cum ad mensam Dominicam accedunt.
    Thanked by 1Chrism
  • CharlesW
    Jahaza, there are eastern places where the babushkas would take canes to you if heads were not covered. Babushkas are ferocious animals. LOL. Other eastern churches don't seem to care. I think the U.S. Latins pretty much ignored that 1917 canon.
  • THIS JUST IN
    Intercepted, Decoded letters have revealed that the notorious organization, PPFTT (Pining for Priesthood Feminist Traddie Traitors) is planning another open attack on the all male priesthood.

Julie Coll, now known to be an officer in PPFTT, is using her position of propers singer for nefarious purposes!

Mrs. Coll (name abbreviated even now!) had invented an elaborate scheme to wear ever-larger hats, until such day she could hide a small towing cable under of the deceptive hats.

Her strategy was simple- she would feign prayers of thanksgiving at the altar rail after Mass, wait until the servers backs were turned and Father's eyes were closed in prayer...
    and then...
    using her LIBER USUALIS and choir binder for leverage, LEAP over the sanctuary gates, and use the hidden cables in her non-veil HAT! to chain herself INSIDE the sanctuary in protest of the all male priesthood.
    Sadly, Mr. Coll seems to be involved, in that he had agreed to pass food to Mrs. Coll through the sanctuary gates. Mr. Coll was further discovered, in the decoded letters, to be a French sympathizer.

Children of the family Coll (again, abbreviated for sinister reasons!) do not appear to be involved. The eldest daughter, chanting beautiful Gregorian propers from inside a Carmel- we will allow it, though do not endorse it- was unavailable to remark.
    Several sons, studying (?) in various seminaries in FRANCE, were not reachable at time of this alert...
    We can only pray for all of them.

Do not let women chant propers, and beware of large hats!

Julie- it's not too late! Don't do it!!

• CharlesW
    I knew it. To arms! SSPXrs at the gate!
  • JulieCollJulieColl
    . . . and remember, that is just one of many things that could happen. Engrave this in your Libers:

Cavete cantrices in schola tua.
  • chonakchonak
    Under what document were veils required?
  • BenBen
    Canon law, I believe. Well, headcoverings specifically, not veils, per se.
    Thanked by 3BruceL kenstb Jahaza
  • You will note that Julie is denying nothing...
  • hilluminar
    MaryAnn: I work for Franciscan Sisters. That is my job. I am a woman, and I work with women day in and day out. I am certainly not anti-woman. Of course, in convent, where there are no men, the Sisters sing all the Mass parts. This scenario is not your average parish. This is not a good example to beat me over the head with.

I have been an organist for 20 years now. I have also formed and directed choirs during a long stretch of that time. I am currently organist for two parishes. I work with women and men every Sunday. I am not stingy or liturgically silly. And, I think everything through very thoroughly.

At the Archdiocesan approved parish which does the EF Mass, THE PASTOR wants only men to chant the Propers. Women may chant the Ordinaries and sing hymns or motets.
    We have one man who chants the Propers. When he is unavailable, a Low Mass is done.
    The choir consists of one man and several women. They do very well with this arrangement, thank you.

Again, this has everything to do with the fact that women represent the Church, and the men in the choir, as do the clergy, stand in contrast to the body of the Church.

At the Maronite parish I also am organist for, men singing is really cultivated. In fact, we have one male cantor there also. He does the singing, and the assembly sings with him.
    No problem.

• It grieves me to also report that Dr. Jenny Donelson broke away from PPFTT to begin an even more radical group-
    DDOH (Dames with Doctorates Organizing Histrionics).

Their meetings are secret, but the source of their waywardness is clear. They started chanting Gregorian propers, and now are organizing flamboyant organ demonstrations against the Church. A favorite tactic is to plug organ pipes with tattered, unusable old mantillas. Some of them... corduroy. Such is their DESPERATION to change Church teaching as regards the all male priesthood.
    It's a tale as ridiculous as it is sad...

Jenny, turn back now!
    Thanked by 3Ben CHGiffen BruceL
  • Hilluminar, the choir represents the angelic choirs as well as the Church.
    I am glad for your work!

I wonder how it is appropriate for women to play organ, and accompany chants, in your scenario?

Women represent the Church, I get that but I think you take it too far, and exclude those that don't have to be excluded. If this is tolerable to you, so be it.

Also, and I'm sure people have pointed this out, one man singing the propers is not ideal, and is not a schola.

And of course nuns chanting propers is a relevant point. If it were wrong on a theological level for women to chant the propers, nuns would not be singing them.
    Thanked by 1CHGiffen
  • Ben, Jeffrey Morse makes a good case for training girls and women in chant. You'd want to her His Eloquence talk about it.

Basically, he feels (like Mary Berry did) that in order to restore the chant we need to have a missionary approach about teaching it to all interested.

Yeah, he says it better.
  • JulieCollJulieColl
    You're doing a grand job yourself, MACW, of promoting cantrices. What's not to like about this mixed schola at St. Ignatius of Antioch Episcopal in NYC:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IN8IGk-5Zvc

I'm not crazy about the cassock and surplice for women, but the chanting itself is beautiful (to my ears, anyway.)
  • SalieriSalieri
    Definitely ask Jeffrey Morse about this: he has had dealt with this before.

As Dr. Berry said: "Plainchant is for Everyone". [emphasis mine]
  • JulieCollJulieColl
    And check out this excellent mixed schola in France directed by a lovely young lady on the LaPorte Latine website.

There are interviews with her later on and she demonstrates how she places ictus marks and chironomy.
  • kenstb
    Julie, I am begging you not to leap over the altar rails. Is there any way that we can talk you down???

On this subject, I agree with MaryAnn. There is much to be gained by allowing girls to chant the propers, especially since we as a church are in such desperate need of vocations to the religious life. I think that all of us benefit spiritually from serving in the ministry of music, and I have met far too many talented and devout women to consider it a good thing to exclude them from singing the praises of the Lord. One of the earliest catholic composers was St. Hildegard of Bingen. One of the earliest catholic writers was St. Perpetua. Sacred music is sung prayer. Everyone can pray. Everyone should be welcome. While each of us may have a preference, since it is not currently forbidden, why should we turn a blind eye to the resources that God has made available to us? This isn't about the priesthood. That ship sailed long ago. This is about singing.
    Thanked by 1expeditus1
  • chonakchonak
    The very helpful EWTN page on head coverings for women in church includes a letter from Cdl. Burke giving this answer: they are no longer required by law. It's expected that women to wear them at EF Masses, but it's not a sin if they don't.
    Thanked by 2kenstb Chrism
  • Chrism
    What's not to like about this mixed schola at St. Ignatius of Antioch Episcopal in NYC

Regardless of what they call themselves, it could be just as easily described as two scholas - one women's and one men's, who sing together in part and separately in part, each of which is located together.

I would add, should anyone wish to share the above video, that the female Episcopal priest or deacon who chants the Gospel immediately following the Tract does nothing to make the case for the Catholicity of the practice. Let's look for better example videos of male/female scholas in "alternatim" (e.g., double monasteries) to share with parishioners who question the beauty and orthodoxy of the practice.
  • ClergetKubiszClergetKubisz
    I personally don't have any issues with having a mixed schola. The only reason I would separate them is for alternatim. It kinda doesn't make sense for two mixed scholae to sing in alternatim just because the contrast wouldn't be as obvious.
  • Jeffrey Quick
    "what dude would be caught dead singing "Bring Flowers to the Rarest"? "
    Me. But it goes better with whiskey.

I'm with MACW and Morse about getting women chanting. Catholics need to own this music. If that means that someday somebody idly starts humming de Angelis, is recognized as a Catholic and is martyred, oh well. But women have to sing it, in order to sing it to their children. And if they're singing it from the choir loft, I have no issue.

Up front is a little different. I don't really have a cootie there either. But it seems that in Catholic culture, there is a PREFERENCE for female cantors. I don't know why, and most of the answers that I come up with don't reflect well on the Church. Part of it might just be that there are more trained female voices around than male voices.
    Thanked by 2CHGiffen CharlesW
  • ClergetKubiszClergetKubisz
    The preference may have something to do with the touchy-feely nature of the music that may colloquially cater more to women. Or it could just be that old men like looking at a pretty lady singing the music, because you know they're not going to bother singing themselves.
  • Women may chant the Ordinaries and sing hymns or motets.
    We have one man who chants the Propers. When he is unavailable, a Low Mass is done.
    The choir consists of one man and several women. They do very well with this arrangement, thank you.

Definitely, can't have a sung Mass if WOMEN are going to be singing! Shut it down. Low Mass today, Bill has a cold. There might be touchy-feely music and old men will be watching for all the wrong reasons!
  • hilluminar
    MaryAnn: Interesting that you should question how appropriate it is for women to play the organ at Mass. My husband has voiced the same question. Is there any Church legislation on women organists? If so, please inform me. I can't find any.

In contrast, Church legislation seems to favor men chanting the Propers. This seems pretty clear. I think it is also the Church's view that it is more important to have a sung Mass (Missa Cantata) than to have a spoken Mass (Low Mass). If there are no men to chant the Propers, it is allowed for women to chant them.

Obviously in a convent of women, there are usually no men there capable of chanting the Propers, and so it is entirely acceptable for the sisters to chant them. Perhaps I did not explain myself well enough.

In the situation I am in, in the Pacific Northwest, men do not generally sing (except if they are in heavy metal rock bands). They think church music is girlish. Therefore, it is very important to encourage the male voice. We have practically no males to sing. And we are the Church Militant, after all! We can't afford to do duddy little old lady songs any more. Propers are the perfect challenge and solution.

In the particular EF parish I attend, only one man can be found. He stands for/in place of the schola. (It is permissible for one to stand in for several: see Pope Pius X's moto proprio "Among the Solicitudes") The women in the choir are not capable of singing the Propers or motets. They have conquered some of the Ordinary and some hymns. Father does shut the Missa Cantata down and have a Low Mass if the one man in the choir cannot be present. Please forgive me for not making myself clear on this.

Noel: I have heard some men voice exactly what you wrote above in purple. Some men do not want to hear women sing because they think that their voices are too sensual. Sad but true all too often.
  • Protasius
    I personally don't like singing women without men that much because I find it sometimes very difficult to understand the text with high female singing voices (hadn't I known the responsorial psalm on this First Sunday of Lent to be Ps 50 (51), I would have hardly understood any verse from the soprano cantrix at the organ right above me).

Given the scarcity of chant at all I am totally OK with female scholae, but if given the choice I would prefer the male schola for personal aesthetical reasons.
    Thanked by 1hilluminar
  • CharlesW
    The Church in the U.S. has largely resolved the problem of which sex sings the Propers. Neither. And yes, there have been many lady organists of exceptional quality in France - hardly a Protestant country. Can you say, Jeanne Marie-Madeleine Demessieux or Marie-Claire Alain? All this about what women can't or shouldn't do in the EF is bizarre. No wonder the majority of U.S. Catholics think EF folks are nuts. There is one huge difference between the European and U.S. TLM. The Europeans are relatively sane, and are not influenced by American misogynistic Calvinism.
  • Jeffrey Quick
    "The Church in the U.S. has largely resolved the problem of which sex sings the Propers. Neither. " Well, THAT puts this conversation into perspective!
    "In the particular EF parish I attend, only one man can be found." That's highly unusual. I my experience, OF choirs tend to be female-heavy, and EF choirs tend to have more men than women.
  • CharlesW
    My OF choir is about half and half. For the parish in general, there seems to be more women than men present.
  • JulieCollJulieColl
    So there you have it. SSPX France with their mixed schola singing the G.R. Propers. I am not a member of SSPX, obviously, but I would really love for someone to try to make the argument that they are somehow going against the heart and mind of the Church in doing this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tt8eNriDruU

Maybe it's time for some to realize that the traditional movement in France is incredibly strong and vigorous, and maybe one of the reasons for its strength is that it doesn't exclude half the population or more in singing the Church's liturgical music.

Finally, one last question: if you want the Gregorian chant movement to grow, do you think it's a good idea to artificially attempt to exclude half the human race when everyone knows the Church has already made it clear long ago that women are allowed to sing the Propers? If that isn't shooting yourself in the foot, I don't know what is.

One last anecdote: a very good friend of mine recently moved to another state so he and his family could live near a traditional parish. They had a choice of several traditional parishes, and they all agreed that it was far better to live near the one parish that allowed women to sing in the schola since he has two daughters who love to sing chant. Just something to think about.

P.S. If you go about halfway through the video you can see an impressive young lady learning to direct the schola.
  • StimsonInRehabStimsonInRehab
    Yeah, I'm still on this rant . . . I've just been busy with life and other trivialities.

My bad, MACW. A person of your skill in this science - I assumed you were a doctor. (Then again, I assume everyone here is a Doctor.)

I am familiar with the arguments about interpreting 'Tra Le' (Pius's exclusion being based on the 'levitical' Caecilian Movement's interpretation of choir etc.), I just don't see how they contradict the practice of our schola. Both Pius X & XII seem to regard the presence of women in the choir as an exception in the way their documents are phrased - Mixed choirs are allowed; unmixed are preferred. And I don't see how it's a matter of opinion. Our choir is trying to follow the injunctions of a successor of Peter - and a saint no less - to the best of our abilities.

It's not my job to judge whose choir has enough men to exclusively provide an all-male schola. Again, I have a topsy-turvy situation where our choir has a wealth of musically savvy gentlemen. Many of you here have been choir directors longer than I have, and figuring out the proper blend of singers, mixed or unmixed, is a prudential call. And there's no denying the aesthetic merit - mixed choirs can sound lovely. But our choir has the ability to sing up to the Pian model, we accept that fact, and we do it.

Tell you what, everyone, let's make a deal. If I get enough women to commit on a regular basis to learn Gregorian chant (and I am more than willing to teach both genders [as long as they remain separate!]) I will add a women's schola to my men's schola. So start sending soprani and alti my way.
    Thanked by 2Chrism hilluminar
  • JulieCollJulieColl
    Forgive me, Stimson, if I tend to get on my soapbox on this issue. I think your assessment of the legislation is actually quite fair. It's just that from my own personal experience and having heard the experience of other women, I find it appalling in this day and age of in-your-face feminism to know of situations where women who want to sing the propers and are competent to sing them are denied the opportunity.

To make matters worse I know of situations where women are shut out of a schola while men are allowed to sing the propers who aren't even Catholic. How is that supposed to make the women feel?

Let me tell you because I've heard what they have to say----for those women who have the desire and ability to sing the Graduale Romanum---it hurts and makes them feel like second class Catholics, and where might that kind of smoldering resentment lead someday?

That is why I am so adamant that women be given opportunities to sing the propers. That doesn't mean women have to sing in the same schola as the men, as you say, but it's worth considering whether there is some way to make a place for them since the Church allows the practice.
  • hilluminar
    "In-your-face feminism" affects/afflicts everything today. Even Catholic scholas/choirs.
    Thanked by 1Chrism
  • CharlesW
    I have no problem with women singing, as I have noted in earlier posts. SSPX is more than an attachment to a particular rite. That is there, to be sure, but the body is somewhat political, as well. Ultra-conservatives and monarchists, so I am told, are major supporters of SSPX. There is more to them than meets the eye.
  • expeditus1
    CharlesW, are you referring to something along the line of this?
    http://jloughnan.tripod.com/lefebann.htm
    Thanked by 1hilluminar
  • JulieCollJulieColl
    Since I brought up the SSPX on this thread, let me hasten to assure you, Charles, of the following:

OFFICIAL DISCLAIMER: I am not a member of SSPX. I repeat, I am not a member of the SSPX. I repeat again, I am not a member of the SSPX, nor have I ever been, nor do I have any intention of joining them. Besides, why should I? Pope Benedict made it clear that we are perfectly free to hold fast to Catholic tradition inside the Church.

However, since I'm an EF musician, for historical, aesthetical, cultural, musical, and liturgical reasons I like to study the liturgical praxis of the French wing of the SSPX, since it represents a living tradition. As far as I can tell, their style of worship predates the Vatican Council II and is perfectly in accord with the preconciliar liturgical documents.

In fact, it is also perfectly in accord with the liturgical documents of the Second Vatican Council which made clear that a) all lawful rites are to be preserved, b) Gregorian chant is to be given pride of place, c) the Church's treasury of sacred music, i.e., polyphony, is to fostered and preserved in every way, and d) the faithful are to be taught to say and/or sing in Latin those parts of the Mass that pertain to them.

Now I'm not trying to be cheeky or anything, but I think I'm on fairly solid ground as stating that as regards this specific area, i.e., carrying out Vatican II's document on the liturgy, Sacrosanctum Concilium, SSPX France is doing an admirable job.

Lest anyone think it is uncatholic to applaud our SSPX friends when they are doing something well, and lest one disparage this Catholic's quest, in the true spirit of ecumenism, to find and appropriate the good, true, beautiful, and holy wherever it may exist, I would point him/her to the words of Pope St. John Paul II in Crossing the Threshold of Hop:

Pope John XXIII, who was moved by God to summon the Council, used to say: “What separates us as believers in Christ is much less than what unites us.” In this statement we find the heart of ecumenical thinking...we need to be more united, more willing to advance along the path toward the unity for which Christ prayed on the eve of His Passion. This unity is enormously precious. In a certain sense, the future of the world is at stake.
  • JulieCollJulieColl
    P.S. Speaking of Vatican II and its decree on ecumenism, it seems to me that this has really been interpreted in a partial and one-sided manner. After all, if we can smoke pipes with Shintoists and Taoists, dialogue with atheists, do outreach with the Dalai Lama and have long lunches with Protestant evangelists, what would be wrong for every bishop in the world---in the true spirit of ecumenism---to establish a secretariat in his diocesan curia that would be in charge of ecumenical outreach to our friends in the Society of St. Pius X?

I mean, really, I know of a parish that regularly invites the local rabbi and Lutheran minister over for an ecumenical tete-a-tete. So, isn't it about time that we kind of got with the ecumenical program and give SSPX, at the very least, the same amount of attention we give to Buddhists, Muslims and Confucianists?

Wouldn't good Pope St. John XXIII be proud of us?

Just askin'. You know me, I'm really not trying to be cheeky or anything. : )
    Thanked by 1StimsonInRehab
  • CharlesW
    I am convinced of "good" Pope John XXIII as far as his goodness goes. But I also think he was a naïve old man who started something he couldn't control and didn't live to finish.

I don't have problems with SSPX and was just noting that the organization is about more than liturgy. Some don't seem to realize that. The ultra-right group in France is growing and they seem to have had quite enough of the status quo. I think we will hear more from them in the future.

I don't give any attention to Buddhists, Muslims and Confucianists. I don't know any.

"The gods of the heathen are demons" (Ps 95(96):5).

You! Cheeky? Heaven forbid!!! LOL

• Chrism
    First off, I think it's great when people read Church documents and try to follow them. This is an intrinsic part of the purpose of CMAA:
    the advancement of musica sacra in keeping with the norms established by competent ecclesiastical authority

With that said, it is important to remember that the "Pian model" is the ancient Schola cantorum of Rome, comprised of male clerics and boys singing (Gregorian) chant. That is to say, from a purely aural point of view, the model includes both low voices and high voices in some arrangement or other.
  • I think it's great when people apply common sense when reading authoritative documents.

It is most relevant to remember that in ancient times women were not educated as they are now. Because of this, what would have been an effective model then is not the effective model in parish life today, unless one wishes to needlessly alienate or exclude half of the parish.

I'm sure women were not trained as organists in ancient times, either. Should we bar them from the bench now, in an attempt to be faithful to a perceived model? Truly, why allow women at all?