GABC Help • spot the error
  • ServiamScores
    Greetings all,
    This coming Sunday is the 50th anniversary of our parish. Currently we are not permitted any congregational singing whatsoever and cantors even have to segregated in a separate room or put into an airtight booth. (This is the case since March and there is little sign it will let up any time soon; our county is hit particularly hard.)

Long story short, as a result, I am chanting propers from the cry room. This is a nice arrangement, all things considered, in light of our diocesan mandates. That said, we are a N.O. parish and so any propers I chant have to be in English. I normally sing from the Palmer/Burgess (including Gradual!) with some Fr. Weber sprinkled in, but neither of those resources have the propers for the commemoration of the dedication of a church.

I'm currently adapting the Dominican tone of the Terribilis Est into English (it is so beautiful!) and cannot generate a PDF of this chant. I keep getting an error message on http://bbloomf.github.io/jgabc/transcriber.html saying there's an incorrect character it doesn't recognize and I've stared and stared at this and can't figure out what the issue is. When I character search nothing pops up. Would a seasoned GABC user—in their great mercy—scan this for me?

Thank you in advance!

initial-style: 1;
    name: Terribile est;
    %font: GaramondPremierPro;
    %width: 7.5;
    %fontsize: 20;
    %height: 11;
    %spacing: vichi;
    %%

(c4)Awe(dcd/fe/fd)some(de/fg/hhgffed.) (:) is(decf) this(fgf) place!(ed/ffd(d) (::) It(ixdh!iv) is(h) the(h) house(hvGFghh/fhfg) (;) of(ghhfg) the(hvGFE) Lord(fgf/gvFEd_e/fef/e.d.) (;) and(dh) the(h) gate(hji) of(gh) hea(h.)ven:(h.) *(:) Tru(hhg/jkJIHGh)ly(hf/hvGED/fvECdeed) (;) the(de) e(d)ter(c_d)nal(d.) Lord(dedd) is(eded) in(cd) (;) this(dfe/fgFE) place(dec/egf /e.d.) (;) and(dvCAc!deddeDCd. (;) this(de/fg/gvFED) I(evDCd/e_vDC/d) know(d_e/fef/e.d.) T. P.(::)
    Al(h)le(j/kh/ghGF/gh/hd;fvECd)lú(de/fef)ia.(ed) V/.(::) And(dh/gvFEDfe/f/gFEd.) it(ceed/ecd) (;) shall(hhvGF) be(gh) call(hdff)ed(e.) (;) the(d) court(fef/gFE) of(dceed/ecd,hj/kvJIH/gi/jvIGF/ghh) (;) God(hvGF/ghd.) (::) Gló(dh)ri(gh)a(gvFE) (;) Pa(d)tri,(fe) et(fg) Fí(fe)li(ceed/ecd;hhvGF/gh)o,(hd/ffe) (;) et(d) Spi(fe)rí(fg)tu(fe)i(d) San(ceed/ecd;hj/kvJIH/gi/jvIGF/gh;hvGF/ghd)cto.(d) (::)
  • I don't know about the GABC, but Fr Weber does actually have a setting of the Propers for Dedication of a Church. It's not in the Sundays and Solemnities book but in another with the Propers for Saints. I am attaching the PDF with the organ accompaniment for these. If you want them, I can send you the square note version of them.
  • MarkB
    There are two errors: an extra open-parentheses after "place!" in the first line, and a missing closed-parenthesis after "and" in the fifth line.

Here is the corrected code:

initial-style: 1;
    name: Terribile est;
    %font: GaramondPremierPro;
    %width: 7.5;
    %fontsize: 20;
    %height: 11;
    %spacing: vichi;
    %%
    (c4)Awe(dcd/fe/fd)some(de/fg/hhgffed.) (:) is(decf) this(fgf) place!(ed/ffdd) (::) It(ixdh!iv) is(h) the(h) house(hvGFghh/fhfg) (;) of(ghhfg) the(hvGFE) Lord(fgf/gvFEd_e/fef/e.d.) (;) and(dh) the(h) gate(hji) of(gh) hea(h.)ven:(h.) *(:) Tru(hhg/jkJIHGh)ly(hf/hvGED/fvECdeed) (;) the(de) e(d)ter(c_d)nal(d.) Lord(dedd) is(eded) in(cd) (;) this(dfe/fgFE) place(dec/egf /e.d.) (;) and(dvCAc!deddeDCd.) (;) this(de/fg/gvFED) I(evDCd/e_vDC/d) know(d_e/fef/e.d.) T. P.(::)
    Al(h)le(j/kh/ghGF/gh/hd;fvECd)lú(de/fef)ia.(ed) V/.(::) And(dh/gvFEDfe/f/gFEd.) it(ceed/ecd) (;) shall(hhvGF) be(gh) call(hdff)ed(e.) (;) the(d) court(fef/gFE) of(dceed/ecd,hj/kvJIH/gi/jvIGF/ghh) (;) God(hvGF/ghd.) (::) Gló(dh)ri(gh)a(gvFE) (;) Pa(d)tri,(fe) et(fg) Fí(fe)li(ceed/ecd;hhvGF/gh)o,(hd/ffe) (;) et(d) Spi(fe)rí(fg)tu(fe)i(d) San(ceed/ecd;hj/kvJIH/gi/jvIGF/gh;hvGF/ghd)cto.(d) (::)

When I encounter an error message in a long piece of code, my method is to delete portions of the code starting from the end, working back to the beginning, and attempt to print to pdf after each deletion. If it successfully prints then I know that the error is in the block of code I just deleted.
  • ServiamScores
    Mark, thank you! I'd actually tried troubleshooting this for quite a while. But it's dense and after a while it all looks the same.
  • francis
    working with code from my ole html days, it was always good to have a line break to divide it up into manageable troubleshooting chunks... here is an example of the same code with line breaks

(c4)Awe(dcd/fe/fd)some(de/fg/hhgffed.) (:)
    is(decf) this(fgf) place!(ed/ffdd) (::)
    It(ixdh!iv) is(h) the(h) house(hvGFghh/fhfg) (;)
    of(ghhfg) the(hvGFE) Lord(fgf/gvFEd_e/fef/e.d.) (;)
    and(dh) the(h) gate(hji) of(gh) hea(h.)ven:(h.) *(:)
    Tru(hhg/jkJIHGh)ly(hf/hvGED/fvECdeed) (;)
    the(de) e(d)ter(c_d)nal(d.) Lord(dedd) is(eded) in(cd) (;)
    this(dfe/fgFE) place(dec/egf /e.d.) (;)
    and(dvCAc!deddeDCd.) (;)
    this(de/fg/gvFED) I(evDCd/e_vDC/d) know(d_e/fef/e.d.) T. P.(::)
    Al(h)le(j/kh/ghGF/gh/hd;fvECd)lú(de/fef)ia.(ed) V/.(::)
    And(dh/gvFEDfe/f/gFEd.) it(ceed/ecd) (;)
    shall(hhvGF) be(gh) call(hdff)ed(e.) (;)
    the(d) court(fef/gFE) of(dceed/ecd,hj/kvJIH/gi/jvIGF/ghh) (;)
    God(hvGF/ghd.) (::)
    Gló(dh)ri(gh)a(gvFE) (;)
    Pa(d)tri,(fe) et(fg) Fí(fe)li(ceed/ecd;hhvGF/gh)o,(hd/ffe) (;) et(d) Spi(fe)rí(fg)tu(fe)i(d) San(ceed/ecd;hj/kvJIH/gi/jvIGF/gh;hvGF/ghd)cto.(d) (::)
  • Francis,

Your advice makes sense, but only if the user/troubleshooter knows what makes a syntactical unit in the relevant language.

Relevant example, but not GABC:

I have been working with a student whose textbook was either not written by an English speaker or not proofread adequately. It has howlers such as breaking the word "proton" into proto--n from one line of text to another.
  • ServiamScores
    Regardless, your fix worked like a charm. Thanks! (It just all looks the same after a while...)
  • francis
    CGZ

It is quite easy to reset the lines in a text editor by putting a line break at the end of a (;), (:), or (::)