OF chanted Vespers online
  • GerardH
    Dear forum members,

Some of you may be interested in the results of the Zoom Vespers a friend and I have been undertaking, which I mentioned in two earlier threads. I owe a big thanks to @smvanroode for his knowledge and assistance on several occasions there.

Since I am far in the Eastern Hemisphere, the time at which we livestream wouldn't be suitable for participants living in Europe or the Americas, but for the benefit of those who can't join live, I have been uploading the services to YouTube immediately afterwards. Perhaps some of you might like to pray Vespers in your homes with the recordings. Today's (5th Sunday of Easter) recording is here, and further recordings will be added to this playlist.

To recap, this is 1st and 2nd Vespers on Sundays in Latin according to the Antiphonale Romanum II (i.e. Ordinary Form).

Enjoy!
  • smvanroodesmvanroode
    What a wonderful initiative! Living in Europe, we can't pray vespers together at the same time, but at least these recordings enable me to join you in the prayer of the Church. What I really appreciate is the way you made it possible to pray along by writing out all antiphons and psalm verses in chant notation.

I shared the recording of todays second vespers with the members of the Dutch Association for Latin Liturgy on its facebook page.
    Thanked by 1GerardH
  • GerardH
    I have another question related to the above.

Friday is our parish church's anniversary of dedication. Is it permitted to pray the Office of Dedication offsite?
  • FKulash
    Yes; the General Instruction of the Liturgy of the Hours #243 says "In individual celebration, the calendar of the place or one's own calendar may be followed except on proper solemnities and feasts."

By the way, is this question really related to the above? Would it be better to start a new discussion for this?
    Thanked by 1GerardH
  • GerardH
    By the way, is this question really related to the above? Would it be better to start a new discussion for this?

Sorry haha. I've started 3 discussions already about this project, so thought I'd better keep spam to a minimum.

Thanks for the GILH reference. Doesn't this count then as a "proper solemnity"? Or does the directive go the other way, as in use your own calendar (including its proper solemnities), but celebrate the solemnities and feasts of the place you are too?
  • FKulash
    I read it as the latter: You ought to observe the feasts and solemnities proper to the place where you actually are. When there is no local feast or solemnity, you may observe the calendar of the community where you are a member.