Spiritual Communion : Another Offensive
  • francis
    A good article by Father Z pertinent to our present state of affairs

https://wdtprs.com/2020/03/stuck-because-of-covid-19-how-to-make-a-spiritual-communion/

Here is a way to print and slice up Holy Cards for making Spiritual Communions. (see pdf attached) print them out, pass them around!

UPDATE

Here is a more polished version of the original I posted ealier

UPDATE

Another version without graphic behind prayer for easier reading... after all, the prayer is the POINT of the effort!
    Thanked by 2Incardination Drake
  • CatherineS
    I think this points to how I'm thinking about this whole weird mess. Yes, there's a disease going around. Yes, it is contagious and to be taken seriously. But it's also a distraction, in the same way that a monk at prayer in his cell, in the moments when he has a chance to be closest to Christ, will suddenly be tormented by a mouse running up his garment or chewing on his bread, or the overwhelming urge to sneeze, or impure thoughts, or being too hot or too cold.

Think of the entire Church as a monk, and the corona virus as one of many distractions sent to draw his attention away from adoration, thanksgiving, praise, and pleading for the salvation of his soul and all the other pious intentions he might have.

There are times when he needs to calmly get up and close the window or close the bread box or open his eyes and look at the Cross to regain his composure (parallel being practical measures to deal with a new flu virus); but if he becomes obsessed with that interruption, begins chasing the mouse around his cell, becomes angry, hurling his breviary at it, tripping over his robes trying to stomp on it, etc., the devil has just won a great battle, tearing his attention from Our Lord and keeping it well distracted for even days at a time.

I have a sense that we are in a great battle, but we are very easily distracted by the little battles that the evil one hurls into our path.

The doctors will work on the health care. The politicians will work on the policies. Most of us have only the duty to pray, to love, and to become saints, no matter what crap everyone around us is up to, and no matter what misery the world falls into.

Forgive me if that's too much said, or said in the wrong tone. I was really inspired by a good long talk with my godson today, so I'm overflowing a bit of that. God did not bring us into this life now, here, in this time and place, without intending that we should be here for Him in this moment. The most beautiful thing we can do is live this moment for God, with all our hearts, no matter how it turns out. Do the practical things necessary according to your duties. Don't worry about the rest. I think that's some rephrased Padre Pio or something. Sorry if I've mangled it. :P

• francis
    I just posted a more polished version of Holy Card for Spiritual Communion in the OP above.
  • francis
    I also posted a two sided version for you technocrats that are so moved to do so.
  • Don9of11Don9of11
    francis, it's hard to read the prayer with the monstrence behind it. Maybe fade it out another 25%. Just my opinion.
    Thanked by 1francis
  • francis
  • francis
    A bit of levity to combat the stress...

I found a comical and ironic comment today on the reality of the churches being shut down and us being given the directive to spiritual communion
    1235 x 635 - 242K
    Thanked by 1tomjaw
  • tomjaw
    @francis I am going to make a U.K. version. So many of us have been failed by our bishops.
  • CCoozeCCooze
    This prayer is a favorite of mine:

"O Jesus, I turn toward the holy tabernacle where You live hidden for love of me. I love you, O my God. I cannot receive you in Holy Communion. Come nevertheless and visit me with Your grace. Come spiritually into my heart. Purify it. Sanctify it. Render it like unto Your Own. (Amen.)
    Lord, I am not worthy that Thou shouldst enter under my roof, but only say the word and my soul shall be healed."

An indulgence of 500 days, if thrice repeated.
    (129 The Raccolta 1944).

---

By the way, this is also an excellent prayer, which we always added to our Rosary:

Eternal Father, I offer Thee the Most Sacred Heart of Jesus, with all its love, all its sufferings and all its merits.
    -First: To expiate the sins I have committed this day and during all my life.
    Glory be to the Father, and to the Son, and to the Holy Spirit. As it was in the beginning, is now, and ever shall be, world without end. Amen.
    -Second: To purify the good I have done badly this day and during all my life.
    Glory Be, etc.
    -Third: To supply for the good which I ought to have done, but have neglected this day and during all my life.
    Glory Be, etc.
    Thanked by 1francis
  • francis
    Here is CCooze's prayers in printable cards.

(file removed, see later in thread)
    Thanked by 1CCooze
  • CCoozeCCooze
    That is so lovely. Thank you, Francis.
    Technically, the prayer of expiation doesn't count as spiritual Communion, BUT we are supposed to make a sincere attempt at an act of perfect contrition, and therefore these should still be offered side-by-side. Perhaps the third could be the traditional act of contrition:

O my God, I am heartily sorry for having offended Thee, and I detest all my sins because I dread the loss of heaven and the pains of hell, but most of all because they offend Thee, my God, who art all good and deserving of all my love.

I firmly resolve with the help of Thy grace to confess my sins, do penance, and to amend my life. Amen.

If you don't mind adding this act of contrition to one of the spots, I'd love to share this with my family, who would also love to have it!
    Thanked by 2francis CHGiffen
  • francis
    @Ccooze suggested prayer cards

(old file deleted... replacing with new file below)
    Thanked by 1CCooze
  • chonakchonak
    These are beautiful prayers, but I recommend that the specifications about "days" of indulgences, given in old editions of the Raccolta, should not be reprinted.

Each new edition of the Raccolta (now titled The Manual of Indulgences) totally replaces the former editions, and the indulgence specifications in the old editions are no longer in force. They are null and void.

Many of the prayers in the old books still qualify for an indulgence under the current law. Some are listed explicitly in the new Manual, and some fall within general categories of prayers that are enriched with an indulgence according to the Manual. Also, the Holy See occasionally grants indulgences related to special occasions, as it has done this year. In each case, though, the indulgence is now rated as partial or plenary, and the old system of "days" no longer exists.

The Church's current law of indulgences and the current Manual apply to all Catholics, even people who follow the old rite exclusively. This is so because indulgences are not a part of the liturgy; they are granted as a legal act under the Church's apostolic authority. Because indulgences are not necessary for our salvation, but are merely an encouragement to our sanctification, the Holy See has the right to revise the law of indulgences when it wishes.
  • francis
    @Ccooze

Based on the info by chonak on indulgences, let me know what the latest is according to the prayer you posted above.
  • chonakchonak
    According to the Manual of Indulgences (2006 US edition):
    * a partial indulgence is granted to the faithful who, using any duly approved pious formula, make [...] an act of spiritual communion (p. 51)
    * a partial indulgence is granted to the faithful who [...] examine their conscience with the purpose of amendment, [and] devoutly recite an act of contrition, according to any legitimate formula (p. 52)
    Thanked by 1Liam
  • CCoozeCCooze
    @francis, the indulgence that was listed has nothing to do with my suggestion/use of the prayer.
    I'm perfectly fine with that part being left off, entirely.
    Thanked by 1francis
  • CharlesW
    I hate to say it and expect some hate for it, but given the current situation, maybe we should be grateful for what we have rather than what we don't have. These are not normal times, so accept it and get on with it.
  • CCoozeCCooze
    I'm not sure to what you are referring, Charles.
  • francis
    revised cards with graphics (note: all graphic art is from the PD so there is no copyright issues)
    Thanked by 2CCooze CatherineS
  • CharlesW
    What I am saying is that rather than complain about spiritual communion and televised masses, they are better than nothing. No, they are not the norm, but are all we have at the moment. I am most disappointed over missing Easter.
  • I don't think anyone was complaining about receiving a spiritual communion, but maybe I didn't read well enough.

As to televised Masses, my son had an interesting point: it is distracting to be concentrating on a pixel-ated image (because my internet connection is somewhat antiquated), and seems to him to lead to worshipping the television screen. It also leads to accepting the idea that we don't really need to fulfill our duty by being present, except virtually.
    Thanked by 2tomjaw CatherineS
  • CharlesW
    Yes, but... complaining isn't going to change anything. There have been two deaths in my parish this week. When relatives called about funeral music, I had to tell them we are completely shut down and a graveside service is all that will happen. The numbers will have to be kept low, as well. They can schedule memorial masses at some time in the future.

I spent a good bit of time working on Easter music and liturgy. Not happening this year, but maybe I will appreciate next year's Easter season more. Sometimes you don't appreciate what you have until you don't have it.

A couple of weeks ago, one of my Trad friends was righteously protesting the mandated communion in the hand. Since masses were cancelled the following day, I have wondered how she likes no communion.
  • CCoozeCCooze
    Thank you, @francis!

-

@CharlesW I protested Communion in the hand. As I firmly believe that it is completely incorrect to attempt to force people to receive in the hand, in order to receive, at all, I stand by that argument. Having no Communion is not "likable" - it is beyond sad. Still, I would not receive in the hand.

All that being said, I hadn't noticed any complaining in this thread.

As for graveside services, could not some form of music be chanted?

-

@CGZ - I can see that argument. I suppose it depends on how we are able to maintain focus. If it is forming a habit of laziness and coziness, it probably is best to not partake. As mentioned in a different thread, LOTH seems to be being presented as much more important a prayer for us lay-faithful, than watching a televised Mass for which we have received dispensation.

Regardless, Spiritual Communion and acts of (perfect) contrition of course require no watching of or presence at Mass in order to be made/obtained.

-

For anyone interested in a confession aid for their children or themselves (since most things do require a Sacramental confession "ASAP"), I have put a 25% discount on my confession aid. Feel free to partake of this discount:
    Thanked by 2francis tomjaw
  • CharlesW
    Since we easterners don't sin, we won't need any confession aids.

Our eastern liturgies are cancelled, too. I was taught that the Liturgy of the Hours, or Divine Praises, is the official prayer of the church and is equivalent to a mass. It's too bad the hours have fallen into disuse in the west. I think the priests and monastics are about the only ones who pray them.

We do have Typica or Reader's Service so I will be reading that instead of watching streamed masses. Although there are some Byzantine liturgies being streamed.

Communion in the hand: The west did that for around 400 years so it is not any kind of novel or new invention. Easterners receive by a form of intinction which I believe even the westerners are forbidden to receive in the hand. So do intinction and the problem no longer exists.
    Thanked by 3CCooze chonak CHGiffen
  • tomjaw
    As for Requiem Masses, Effectively we can't have them until after Low Sunday, as Holy Week and Easter week are privileged. But in the E.F. a priest could say a Requiem Mass (privately with catafalque etc.) and then go out to the graveside.

Of course we can have Requiem Mass on first hearing the news (2nd Class) and the Requiem Masses on the 3rd, 7th, 30th and Anniversary (3rd Class?) of death and/or burial.

As for Communion in the hand the bishops like this as it fits with their protestant thinking, but it has been pointed out that communion on the tongue is less likely to spread contagion, especially as the current medical advice is not to touch your face! and to wash your hands frequently. Where are the hand sanitiser stations for people to use before going to receive communion in their now (after 40mins or so of Mass) dirty hands?
  • Schönbergian
    If communion on the tongue is so bad, why do we make a spiritual communion with our tongue rather than our hands?
    Thanked by 1tomjaw
  • a_f_hawkins
    Schönbergian In my case because I speak English and not Italian.
    Thanked by 1CatherineS
  • CharlesW
    My biggest fear as a church musician is that I am starting to enjoy not playing and directing. No diva singers, no whining to hear, no backbiting, no crazy Trads arguing about positioning deck chairs on the Titanic, and no jockeying for perceived influence. I'm getting to enjoy a generally more peaceful life. Although I must admit those who occupy themselves with trying to gain influence and position in a Catholic church are somewhat akin to those fighting for the position of towel monitor in hell. Too many teapot tempests and tilting at windmills. I could start to really like this.

Back to this interrupted by a call. Of course we all know that I will be back when masses resume. The mighty Schantz is like a loyal dog waiting for my return. I love music but I hate it. That may make sense to other musicians.
  • francis
    Charles... it may be a long time before any of us ever get to play the mighty (enter your most favorite instrument here) [Pasi Opus V, which is my personal photo]... i am coming to the resolve that our remaining life will be one of solitude, penance, prayer and reparation
  • CharlesW
    Who knows? I don't think anyone is 100% sure how all this will turn out.
  • a_f_hawkins
    No but the Institute for Health Metrics and Evaluation is 95% sure it will be between 40,000 and 180,000 in the USA by August. Assuming of course that the definitions are not subsequently changed, nor the data revised.
    Thanked by 1CharlesW
  • CatherineS
    My husband and I are already talking about how grateful we are that we got to go to this or that place one time, or meet such and such person once, or do this or that adventure one time...before the End. I may very well never travel abroad again, which means never seeing my family again. We may not have any income in a short time. Who knows? And yet we know many people who are in much more dire straights than us, in various ways. It's sobering, and makes us take good account of everything we do.