Organ accompaniment for Exultet (long version)
  • Hello!

Does anyone know if there is simple organ accompaniment for the Exultet (long version)? I need it only for practice purposes for a class I am teaching. I looked online, and I haven't been able to find one.

Thank you for any help you can offer!

Rebekah
  • Rebekah,

Given when the Exultet falls on the Easter Vigil, I wouldn't expect there to be an organ accompaniment, simple or otherwise.
    Thanked by 1puretonesoprano
  • CharlesW
    I have never seen an organ accompaniment.
  • tandrews
    There was one we used at a church back in 2013/14. The Exultet was rhyming and modernized. It became a constant I/vi/IV/V/I trash show.
  • irishtenoririshtenor
    The Exultet was rhyming and modernized

Blech!
  • modernized

explain what this means.
  • tandrews
    I wrote that in haste. The text was modified so that it could rhyme. Either way the church was 90% lit up and the organ was being used to accompany this piece.

I'll try and track it down so I can share with the class!
  • The text was modified so that it could rhyme.

So in other words a paraphrase of the Exsultet was used in place of the real thing. That's illicit and an asinine thing to do to one of the most sublime liturgical texts still in use today.
  • dhalkjdhalkj
    The church was 90% lit up

Be glad, let the earth be glad as glory floods her, ablaze with light from her eternal King.... Let Mother Church also rejoice, arrayed with the lightening of his glory, ... Therefore, dearest friends, standing in the awesome glory of this holy light... This is the night of which it is written: The night shall be as bright as day, dazzling is the night for me, and full of gladness... a fire into many flames divided, yet never dimmed by sharing of its light... let it mingle with the lights of heaven.... Christ...has shed his peaceful light on humanity.

Exsultet makes it clear what the level of light is supposed to be.
  • irishtenoririshtenor
    It's much cooler to sing it almost in the dark -- change my mind.
  • GambaGamba
    standing in the awesome glory of this holy light...

The Exsultet also speaks as if the paschal candle is illuminating the whole church with the light of Christ, which is not the case if all our unholy electric lights are blasting down on us.
  • one of the most sublime liturgical texts

Ahh, ""... the work of bees and of your servants’ hands ..."

It's worthy that the church acknowledges the central importance of bees to human ecology - and did so slightly before current concerns about them.

But sublime?
  • Liam
    And the rubrics in the Missal do provide as follows:

When the Deacon arrives before the altar, he stands facing the people, raises up the candle and sings a third time:

"The Light of Christ."

and all reply:

"Thanks be to God."

Then the Deacon places the Paschal candle on a large candle stand prepared next to the Ambo or in the middle of the sanctuary. *And lights are lit throughout the church, except for the altar candles.* [emphasis added]
  • davido
    “Lights are lit” doesn’t have to mean electric lights. If everyone holds a candle, the place is going to be pretty bright.
    Remember, before electric lights, a church full of candles is going to seem “ablaze with light.”
    Thanked by 1Andrew_Malton
  • CharlesW
    a church full of candles
    may very well get your fire insurance cancelled or the premiums raised.
  • Liam
    " “Lights are lit” doesn’t have to mean electric lights."

There are still churches in the Catholic world without them, or their predecessors, gas lights.

That said, the rubric's indication is that what lights will be used during the rest of the service are lit, with the sole exception being the altar candles, which are lit at the Gloria. The gimmick of waiting to do most of the other lights as well at the Gloria is not rooted in the rubrics.
    Thanked by 2CharlesW CHGiffen