Propers for Nuptial Mass, Latin Novus Ordo
  • acadia
    I'm looking for clarification. We are singing for a Nuptial Mass in the Ordinary Form, but it will be in Latin. For previous Nuptial Masses in the Novus Ordo I have used the Introit, Offertory and Communion Antiphons from the Extraordinary Form. But now I see that some are recommending using the Missa Pro Sponsis Propers from the GR. Why is that?
    Also, is there a Gregorian Ordinary that would be particularly appropriate for a Nuptial Mass? The priest mentioned the Missa de Angelis...
  • Disclaimer: I'm EF about 99.9% of the time, but occasionally do an OF, usually in Latin and ad orientem, and very rarely an OF in the vernacular.

For the Propers, the Graduale Triplex (which I assume is from the GR), shows these choices for the votive Pro Sponsis (bolded choices equal EF Proper):
    Introit
    • Deus in loco sancto suo
    • Domine, refugium factus es nobis
    • Timete Dominum, omnes sancti eius

Gradual
    • Timete Dominum, omnes sancti eius
    • Uxor tua

Alleluia
    • Mittat vobis

Offertory
    • Immittet angelus Domini
    • In te speravi, Domine

Communion
    • Beati mundo corde with ps. 33
    • Primu quaerite regnum Dei

As for the Ordinary, Mass VIII (de angelis) is suited both from the general classification and from the fact that of the Masses in the Kyriale, it is likely one most recognizable to those attending. Usually, Mass VIII is the the choice for most OF nuptials we are asked to sing. As regards "appropriateness", the Kyriale is extremely fluid. Most Masses are appropriate under most circumstances. I wouldn't do Mass I outside of Paschaltide; I wouldn't do Mass XVII or XVIII outside of Advent or Lent; but other suggestions regarding the use of particular Masses are merely suggestions (i.e. not rubrical) and have changed at times. Mass XV was once recommended for "simple Masses" - now is recommended for "Christmas season" as an example.
    Thanked by 3tomjaw CHGiffen acadia
  • The Ordo Cantus Missae (1970) permits the use of the EF propers, see page 171, HERE.

The OCM is what the Graduale for the Novus Ordo is based on. However when Solesmes prepared that Graduale, where possible they omitted the so-called "neo-Gregorian" pieces which the OCM nevertheless permits to be used ad libitum. So its useful to keep in mind that the Graduale as published by Solesmes does not provide all of your options for the Novus Ordo.
  • a_f_hawkins
    Why is that?
    When Solesmes was commissioned to produce their first official Graduale, it was only an interim work. The 1961 GR is based on the 1908 edition produced to meet the need identified by Pope Pius X as quickly as possible*. Thus Sacrosanctum Concilium 117 :
    117. The typical edition of the books of Gregorian chant is to be completed; and a more critical edition is to be prepared of those books already published since the restoration by St. Pius X.
    It is desirable also that an edition be prepared containing simpler melodies, for use in small churches.
    The revision allowed the restoration of ancient chants which had been dropped from the repertoire, and the removal of inauthentic later compositions. GR1974 also takes advantage of the greater variety of texts in the OF, and the revision of the calendar.
    *When it was commissioned the monks were already living abroad, having been expelled by the French Government (for the fourth time in 30 years). Since their return the work was further delayed by two World Wars!
  • VilyanorVilyanor
    For my Honors project in undergraduate and for my own wedding, I transcribed and restored the Introit, Gradual, and Communion form their earliest source, the Graduale of St. Aredius. If you'd like, I can send you the restored versions, which also contains an antiphon I composed myself, partly from communion antiphon formulae.
  • In this case of the propers for the wedding Mass, the "new" propers listed in the OCM / 1974 GR are all chants that were present in the 1908 GR to begin with. They are just rounded up from diverse other occasions.
  • acadia
    Thank you very much, everyone! I remain deeply grateful for how generously knowledge and experience are shared in this community.
    Thanked by 1Incardination