Seeking hymn tune name for "Jesus, Jesus, come to me"
  • LisaMH
    Greetings all. This is my first post. A choir member brought me a CD of this hymn recorded by the daughters of Mary and suggested we might sing it for First Communion in mid May. I have been unable to find anything but lyrics. Does anyone know the hymn tune name?

Thank you,

Lisa
  • Richard R.
    This can be found in the 1920 St. Gregory Hymnal, no. 131, p. 204. PDF of the page attached (which I only have in two parts).
  • chonakchonak
    No name yet. The St. Gregory Hymnal (complete edition, #131) says it's "Based upon a German Melody but altered and re-arranged by N.A.M. [Nicola A. Montani, the editor]"

The two-part edition of the St. Gregory Hymnal is available on-line at gutenberg.org; I'm not sure about the four-part "complete edition".
  • Steve CollinsSteve Collins
    An even better arrangement, and text, are in Rev. Rossini's "Parish Hymnal". Here it is from my Finale. I have the TIF of the melody only that I'll post tomorrow.
  • LisaMH
    Wow! Thank you all so much.

I direct a small Schola in Tacoma, Washington and they are so impressed at the lovely yet simple music I am able to find for us to sing. I owe it all to folks like you.

Lisa
  • The tune is saccharine, and the words reflect a highly individualistic, subjective piety. Its suitability for use at first communion is, at best, doubtful. If the members of your congregation knew it and loved it, you would, perhaps, be justified in using it. But TEACHING it to them is another matter.

Why not teach them a more objective, theologically-richer eucharistic hymn such as "Alleluia! Sing to Jesus," (to Hyfrydol) or "Lord, enthroned in heavenly splendor" (to Bryn Calfaria or to the tune especially composed for this text by Healey Willan)? Surely you are not avoiding these hymns because they happen to have been written by Anglicans.
  • chonakchonak
    May I suggest "At the Lamb's High Feast"? It's based on a 6th century office hymn and contains several references to the Holy Eucharist, and the kids might find it fun to sing.

On the other hand, if it turns out that the kids like "Jesus, Jesus, come to me", I wouldn't turn them away from a song with a somewhat individualistic piety. For seven-year-olds, I'd call it a developmental step on the way to adult faith.
    I have a TIF file, melody and text only, suitable for insertion in any work processor document. But the Forum software won't let me upload it. Please email me, and I'll send a copy along by reply email.

IMO, "saccharine" is a bit strong, and certainly subjective. Back in the 1960s, saccharine was also are man-made replacement for fructose and other processed sugars. Today many people prefer pure cane sugar, and cut rather than ground. There! That's my mixing of metaphors for the day!
  • WGS
    Without reference to any particular hymn, rather than "saccharine", I prefer to use the very subjective "treacly".
  • G
    Completely off-topic, I loved the word "treacly" as a pejorative until I discovered that the British call molasses "treacle."

I will not brook disrespect to molasses.

I don't want to start a fight or anything, but I am unanimous in this..... ;o)

(Save the Liturgy, Save the World)
    In general:

there are hymns I consider to my favorites, of many styles.

There are hymns that I don't mind playing, again of a variety of styles.

There are some contemporary "songs" that I'll tolerate, at least occasionally.

There are hymns that I will schedule when asked.

I will provide the absolute best I can - hence the Rossini "Parish Hymn Book" version as opposed to the St. Gregory Hymnal version.
  • Mark M.Mark M.
    LisaMH -- a schola in Tacoma? Please tell where! I'm in Colorado, but both my wife and I are from Tacoma, and we visit family frequently.

(Lisa, feel free to email me. And everyone -- sorry for the "public" personal post here -- I don't see an email address for Lisa.)
  • chonakchonak
    And thanks to Steve for posting the version from Rossini.

The lyric in Montani's version is a bit odd in verse 2! It doesn't rhyme, and it sounds just too morbid for kids to sing:
    "Jesus, I live for thee; Jesus, I die for thee;
    I belong to thee fore'er in life and death."

Do any real hymns of the Roman liturgy (i.e., office hymns) contain anything that sounds so Victorian/Romantic, so self-dramatizing?

Perhaps the melody makes it seem so piteous.

Man! Here's a thought experiment:
    Imagine those words, more or less, sung to a slow melody by one of the StL Jesuits -- to produce a song similar to O'Connor's "Jesus the Lord (Let all creation bend the knee)". Comment.
  • Chrism
    just too morbid for kids to sing

Huh? "Holy Mary, Mother of God, pray for us sinners now and at the hour of our death."

Do any real hymns of the Roman liturgy (i.e., office hymns) contain anything that sounds so Victorian/Romantic, so self-dramatizing?

None of the Office hymns are devotional acts, like the Anima Christi or O Deus, ego amo te. This part of the hymn is not a "look at all the wonderful things I am doing" litany, but an act of consecration, albeit a very simple one. Simple does not mean un-Catholic or uneducated in the Faith, as we can all learn from the Doctor of the Little Way. This is a wholly orthodox, popular devotional hymn. This hymn is not my personal favorite, but undoubtedly suitable where pastorally appropriate, e.g. when there is no choir, or when children are singing.

• "Lord enthroned..." set to the tune ST OSWOLD by Healey Willan is outstanding! This is a hymn tune and text that "takes flight" with a congregation.
  • mjballoumjballou
    To me, this hymn is reminiscent of Sunday School hymnody. And for many Catholics, this is what represents "traditional church music."

Interestingly, it was programmed at a Mass today in my church along with "Let There Be Peace of Earth." The choir sang "Jesus, Jesus" with great delight; the congregation had "Peace on Earth." And I remembered my training in musical theatre and delivered the best accompaniment I could.
  • Jan
    I sang both 'Jesus, Jesus Come to Me' & 'Jesus, My Lord, My God, My All' for my First Communion in 1955 or was it 1956 (3rd Grade). I remember thinking they
    were rather over the top at the time.
  • LisaMH
    Thank you for the additional feedback.

I agree that the hymn is saccharin but it was suggested by a schola member and I had no good reason to refuse the request and risk hurt feelings in a relationship that has "history". I also get relatively little "interference" in choosing music so tend to look at requests like this as potential Holy Spirit moments - unless there is something objectively incorrect.

I trust the Holy Spirit to work on many levels and with many tastes and Father was very very pleased. At our parish even the musically sensitive and liturgically educated are so grateful for what they do NOT have to put up with (This is the Seattle Archdiocese) that they cut us plenty of slack. We regularly sing about 80% of the Adoremus Hymnal so I hope there is plenty of musical and theological "food" for mind and soul.
  • Donnaswan
    Thanks for your loving last reply, Linda. It is so easy to 'dis' someone's musical taste , but with background you provided, so perfectly understandable why you wanted to do it. There are times in life, for the sake of peace, and 'past history' we grit our teeth and go along with it. I myself find most of the Hymns in St. Gregory's to be 'maudlin', at least the English ones, (Is maudlin better than Treacly'?) Life is too short . And I think the English 'treacle' is more like our syrup than real Molasses, which I cannot be without- Pecan Pie and chewy Molasses cookies, not to mention New England baked beans from scratch! LOL
    PS. Bryn Calfaria is one of my funeral hymns. Was there ever a better tune? The Welsh know how to do it!
    Donna