Summer chant programs for teens and younger?
  • chonakchonak
    Let's make a list of "chant camps" and similar programs running this summer.

Please provide dates, cities, and a link to more info.

Should we start with the program in NH whose music instruction is being provided by forum member Salieri?

Thanked by 132ContraBombarde
  • We'll be hosting a children's chant camp this summer in Harrisburg, PA.

Who: Children and youth ages 7-18 (we originally specified only unchanged voices, but have had enough interest that there will also be instruction for older boys with changed voices as well)

Where: Mater Dei Latin Mass Community at St. Lawrence Church, 110 State Street, Harrisburg, PA

Dates: 7/30 - 8/3 (BREAK/DAY OFF ON WEDNESDAY), and all choristers are invited to sing for a High Mass on Sunday, 8/5 at 10:00am (warm up at 9am)

Daily Schedule: Optional Low Mass at 8am. Camp runs 9am - 2pm Monday, Tuesday, Thursday, and Friday.

Instructors: Camp is led by Mater Dei Music Director, Patrick Torsell (that's me!), with additional instructors including Fr. David Franco, FSSP, Mr. Rick Wheeler (Music Director at OLMC, Littleton, CO, aka cantus67), and Mr. Connor Ouly (Juilliard vocal student)

Link, registration, and more details: http://materdeipa.com/music/event/chant-camp-2018/
  • Summer Chant Camp
    for children entering grades 1–12
    August 6–10, 2018
    9AM–3PM
    St. Anthony Church
    1496 Commonwealth Ave. Bronx, New York

Register online by clicking here.

For students who are new to singing Gregorian chant or those who have some experience
    Each day will include:
    - Mass
    - Classes in musicianship
    - Vocal technique exercises
    - Instruction on how to read chant notation
    - Fun activities
    Classes are divided according to age and ability
    Lunch and small snacks each day are included
    Parents are welcome to join the students for Mass (9:00 Monday through Thursday, and 12:00 on Friday)

Instructors:
    Dr. Jennifer Donelson, Director of Sacred Music, St. Joseph’s Seminary, Dunwoodie, NY
    Sarah Jane Starcher Germani, Director of Music, St. Anthony, Commonwealth Ave, Bronx, NY
    Peter Carter, Director of Sacred Music, St. John the Baptist, Allentown, NJ
    Prices:

1st Child – $50
    2nd Child – $40
    3rd Child + – $30

Registration closes on August 1. Payment available online or at the parish office; cash, credit, and checks accepted.

For more information: (718) 931-4040 ext. 104 – chantcampbronx@gmail.com
    3400 x 4400 - 8M
  • teachermom24
    copied from St. Francis de Sales Oratory bulletin:

The 2018 Choir Camp will take place August 5th-10th,
    at the beautiful Mount Saint Joseph in Kentucky.
    Registration is open for children ages 10-
    18. For five days choristers will be immersed in
    daily music training, attend classes in Latin, Gregorian
    chant, music theory, and vocal technique,
    as well as daily Mass in the Extraordinary Form.
    Register Online Today:
    www.institute-christ-king.org/go/choir-camp/
    ==========

On a personal note, one or more of my children has participated at this choir camp every year since 2012. It is always incredible and leaves me astounded with what can be accomplished in just five days. Cost is $450 per chorister.
  • nknutson
    Cathedral Basilica of Ss Peter and Paul
    CATHEDRAL CHOIR CAMP
    Cantate Domino

Two-day Cathedral Choir Festival to take place on July 23 and 24, 2018 from 9am to 5pm, culminating in a concert on the evening of July 24 at 7pm. This camp will be open to all boys and girls throughout the Archdiocese, ages 7-15. Our camp will provide a unique musical experience, which includes an introduction to sacred repertoire, as well as vocal breathing techniques, vowel formation, choral tone, sight singing and music theory.

At the end of the two days, those students who would like to audition and stay as members of the Archdiocesan Children’s Choir would continue their studies on July 25 and 26 to learn the choral anthems to be performed throughout the 2018-2019 season.

http://cathedralphila.org/choircamp/
  • CGM
    David Hughes, of CMAA fame, is running his eleventh summer chant camp for children, at his parish of St. Mary's in Norwalk, CT. This year he'll be working with beginning and intermediate students for one week:

— Monday, July 30th through Friday, August 3rd
    — 10am to 3pm each day

For more information, fees, and to register, visit his website here, or download the flyer here, or the registration form here.
  • Kathy
    All of these events look great, but the number of them is appallingly low. This is what the Church should be doing, more than anything else.
  • teachermom24
    But they are growing and, to me, that is very positive. Pope Benedict prophesied the Church would become much smaller and that a remnant will have to rebuild it. Seems that is exactly what we are witnessing now.
  • WillWilkin
    I just want to thank CGM for listing the Norwalk St. Mary's chant camp above. My 18yo son Justin is registered and I intend to take off from work the last day of that week so I can hear him sing! Justin has a new pile of pipe organ sheet music and is excited about taking his 10 years of piano lesson skills into a study of organ. Just yesterday our parish organist assured us he will support Justin's request to the pastor for access to our parish organ for practice and lessons! I think the chant camp will be excellent background for Justin's new study of church music.
  • richardUKrichardUK
    For several years I've conducted the annual residential Sacred Music Choir Camp at St Peter's Church in Volo, Illinois, under the auspices of the Canons Regular of St John Cantius (St Peter's is one of their parishes). This year it's August 6 to 10, culminating in Sung Mass in the Extraordinary Form on August 10 at 7 pm. Music by Victoria, Corbett, Bruckner and Willan, plus chanted propers. The teens, aged 13 to 18, learn about chant, music theory, choral/vocal technique, the stories behind the the composers, and why sacred music is so important. We normally have at least 40 teens per year, sometimes the boys outnumber the girls!
  • WillWilkin
    richardUK, I hope next year you'll announce that Sacred Music Choir Camp here on the forum early enough my son can consider making the trip to Illinois.
  • richardUKrichardUK
    I'm sorry it has turned out to be too late for you, things weren't confirmed until a couple of weeks ago. The Canons organize a very busy summer of all sorts of youth activities besides the choir camp. I normally fly in every summer from the UK to conduct the singers. I think it would be great if young people came from farther afield. As it is now, the teens all come from the greater Chicago area. Please feel free to email me. Here is this year's registration and info. https://mailchi.mp/830ada86e86c/choir-camp-sign-up-deadline-sunday-july-28?e=f9910a5de8