Music for 50th anniversary of ordination
  • The retired pastor of the church where I am music director will be celebrating his 50th anniversary of his ordination in June. I really would like the choir to sing something that was sung at his ordination. I haven't found what I'm looking for.
    Would you be able to point me in the right direction? There will be at least one other priest who was ordained with the pastor at the mass. The were ordained in Ireland in 1959. It is actually the exact day, June 14, which is sort of unusual. I would like to bring back a memory for him, but he doesn't want a fuss. (He's going to get one anyway). Even just one piece that is sung only at an ordination would be great.
  • Almost certainly, the Iam non dicam was sung at his ordination. See Liber Usualis,No. 810 edition 1962, pp. 1847-1848.

From my commentary on presbyteral ordinations:

During the kiss of peace among the ministerial priests, the schola sings the ancient responsory, the ‘Iam non dicam,’ from the night office of Pentecost. Its text is a pastiche of well-prayed-over sentences from Jesus’ prayer for us at the Last Supper and on the evening of the First Easter (John 14:26; 15:14, 15; 20:22).

Iam non dicam vos servos, sed amicos meos,
    quia omnia congnovistis quae operatus sum in medio vestris [alleluia].
    Accipite Spiritum Sanctum in vobis Paraclitum.
    Ille est Pater mittet vobis [alleluia].
    Vos amici mei estis, si feceritis quae ego praecipio vobis.
    Accipite Spiritum Sanctum in vobis Paraclitum.
    Ille est Pater mittet vobis [alleluia].

It is translated thus:

No longer do I call you servants, but my friends,
    because you know all that I have done among you [alleluia].
    Receive the Holy Spirit as an Advocate among you:
    He is the Spirit whom the Father will send you [alleluia].
    You are my friends if you do what I command you.
    Receive the Holy Spirit as an Advocate among you.
    Glory to the Father, and to the Son, and to the Holy Spirit.
    He is the Spirit whom the Father will send you [alleluia].