Colloquium minimum age?
  • jczarn
    I just noticed this year that the Colloquium registration now states that the minimum age for participants is 16 (even with a chaperone). This seems a departure from previous years, where there was no minimum age limit.

This seems curious and kind of a shame, as I can think of several serious teenagers who would be mature enough to greatly benefit from the colloquium.
    Based on this thread from a couple of years ago, it seems I'm not alone in this assessment:
    https://forum.musicasacra.com/forum/discussion/13455/colloquium-appropriateness/p1

Is there any possibility that this new policy might be reconsidered? I know not all teenagers are mature enough, but I would think it might be better to handle this on a case-by-case basis rather than a blanket restriction.

Thanked by 1Casavant Organist
  • canadashcanadash
    I must say that I agree with jczarn... the Colloquium was a great experience for my sons, one of whom was not yet 16 when he attended.
  • It may be other factors (diocesan guidelines or Virtus requirements) that make it impractical. I had to restrict registrations to 18 and over in an event our Oratorian Community is hosting in August for similar reasons. We have a lot of teens that are certainly mature enough, but it was the hoops we'd have had to jump through that made it impossible in our situation.
  • Kathy
    I think the age limit is a good idea. Although I'm a big advocate for children's learning excellent music, bringing them out of town lends itself to all sorts of dangers.

Youth organizations have to go to great lengths to protect them, and still fail at times. I don't think the Colloquium can focus its resources as would be necessary on one small group.
  • We're talking physical age, not mental, correct?
    Thanked by 1CharlesW
  • dad29
    Why that question, Stimson?? Something we should know?
    Thanked by 1StimsonInRehab
  • I've stayed in the single digits as far as mentality goes for at least three decades now, Dad. All voluntary, of course!
    Thanked by 1CharlesW
  • dad29
    Wait a few years for a bonus! Get old, get crochety, and people think it's natural and just fine.
  • CharlesW
    Kids shouldn't be around those jaded old musicians. Bad influence.
  • G
    We're talking physical age, not mental, correct?

Yes, so you all still have to put up with me....
    (Save the Liturgy, Save the World)
  • "You once called me a warped and frustrated old man. Well, what are you but a warped and frustrated YOUNG man?!?" - Mr. Potter CharlesW to Yours Truly
    Thanked by 2CharlesW Carol
  • dad29
    "Jaded" does not BEGIN to describe my....ahhhh.....condition, Charles.
  • CharlesW
    Stimson, I don't recall ever saying that. I think you are younger than I am.
    Thanked by 1StimsonInRehab
  • Just saw this thread... the reason for the minimum age is Loyola's requirements in our contract. Without this minimum age, we would be required to provide background checks on all faculty to Loyola, which is do-able, but cost-prohibitive. If you have a child who wants to attend and who is nearly 16, please contact me. If the parent of the child is also attending, we may be able to make an exception. Hope this helps!
  • provide background checks on all faculty

Trying to root out the reprobates among the musical, a.k.a., "Where's Gesualdo?"
  • canadashcanadash
    Perfect! Thanks Janet!
    Thanked by 1janetgorbitz