Err...Ornamentation
  • Kathy
    When singing Moore's Taste and See, I'm always tempted to fill the pause after "You'll want for nothing if you ask" with a little scat singing, perhaps "scooby doo" or "doobie doo," perhaps in my Louis Armstrong voice, or alternatively background vocals the way the Carpenters would have done it.

This is all pure fiction--I'd never do it, but it consistently occurs to me.

I was wondering if I'm alone in this, or do others feel the desire to jazz things up now and again, vocally or instrumentally?
  • Not 'jazz' them up per se -
    but definitely 'baroque' them up.
    There is a similarity of approach, if not of style.
    Thanked by 1Kathy
  • Kathy
    You don't think you're Baching up the wrong tree? ;)
    Thanked by 1M. Jackson Osborn
  • Well, it depends on which tree the Byrd is in.
  • CHGiffenCHGiffen
    If it ain't Baroque, don't fix it.
    Thanked by 1tsoapm
  • Kathy
    I was just now washing the dishes, and running through my head went:

The Virgin Mary had a baby Boy
    How d'you do, how d'you do, how d'you do.
    Thanked by 2Carol CharlesW
  • Carol
    I posted somewhere else the one that always gets me. "The Summons" from OCP to KELVINGROVE: ducks going "Quack, quack" at the end of the phrases.

"Will you come and follow me if I but call QUACK QUACK."

I guess I watched too many cartoons as a child. Sorry for the earworm.
  • Whenever I have to sing that Taste and See I always have to sing it in my poppiest pop voice in the music office before I go do it for real just to get it out of my system.
    Thanked by 2CHGiffen Carol
  • melofluentmelofluent
    This has been a very funny thread. But a "straight" answer to Kathy's question was, in fact, answered at the Casey Beatification Mass. The gentleman cantor, ahem, "went off" with his jubiliations, just riffing on the last word of the phrase. Disconcerting.
  • There are a couple of riffs in mode II and mode VII that just sound like blues to me, and then (not during liturgy) I want them to swing.

Example: Gloria ad libitum I (8): very slow groove, with the neums just ahead of the beat, so that the scandicus get a swing to 'em.
  • Carol
    Some of these remarks deserve a groan rather than thanks. Can we install a groan button?
    Thanked by 1noel jones, aago
  • KARU27
    If I happen to be at a parish where there is a drum set, or other pop-style percussion, I want to snap my fingers. Why else would they be using percussion, if they don't want us to snap along?
    Thanked by 2CharlesW Carol
  • CharlesW
    I successfully buried "Taste and See" for a number of years. A choir member's son got married and left all the details of the wedding up to his dad. The dad pulled this piece of schlop out as the psalm for the wedding. He also brought a couple of relatives and they performed all the dad's old hippie favorites from whenever - before the mass since I told them their music choices were inappropriate for liturgy. I played for the wedding since I had loved the son since he was a little boy and my playing was a gift to him. However, I have since gotten rid of all the "Taste and See" copies I could find. If anyone asks, the Russians took them.
  • Thanks to this reminder of a song I hadn't thought about in ages, I just spent 15 minutes at the piano improvising on it, from stride to blues to bop (and I played a funk verse on Rhodes for good measure). You've just gotta love that I-III-vi in the second half of the verse. Ugh, now it's stuck in my head. Great. Time to file it back away in the memory, hopefully never to surface again.
    Thanked by 1Carol
  • Carol
    The only positive comment I can make about "Taste and See" is that it truthfully identifies the verses for Cantor as opposed to so many contemporary singer-songwriter style hymns that are not congregational but pretend to be.
  • CHGiffenCHGiffen
    I've been tempted but have resisted saying more about (a whole chorus) for "The Grist of Whiniest Tweet" ...
    Thanked by 1CharlesW
  • Carol
    It took me a while but I did get it eventually, CHG. Had to read it aloud. First I thought I wasn't getting it because it was Anglican or Aussie, haha.
    Thanked by 1CHGiffen
  • francis
    Thanked by 1Carol
  • francis
    Taste and See the Yoohoo!
  • Somebody's knocking down your door. (A friend and I had the mysterious somebody systematically destroy the entire house...)
    Thanked by 1Carol
  • GerardH
    A running joke in our choir started by my brother in law is, during the hymn "The Voice of God" (Woodlands), to sing:

"and pris'ners laugh - Ha ha! - in life and liberty".

It fits all too well...