Music for sung Communion Antiphon in English for a weekday Mass?
  • acadia
    We have been asked to sing a Mass on June 26, the transferred Feast Day of St Josemaria Escriva. Where do I find the music to sing the Communion Antiphon (Matthew 20:28)? All the books I have only have Sundays and major feasts. English would be preferred, I imagine, but we would sing it in Latin if that was all we could find.
  • Kathy
    I found an old thread that says this is the communio for diaconate ordinations as well. I would inquire at cathedrals.
    Thanked by 1acadia
  • smvanroodesmvanroode
    The following might help to find music to sing the communion antiphon. The antiphon texts in English and Latin are:

The Son of Man did not come to be served, but to serve,
    and to give his life as a ransom for many. (Mt. 20: 28)

Filius hominis non venit ministrari, sed ministrare,
    et dare animam suam redemptionem pro multis. (Mt 20, 28)

It is assigned to Wednesday in de second week of Lent, Wednesday in Holy Week, Commons for Pastors and for the Blessing of an Abbess.

There are no Latin settings in gregorian chant.

From another thread: "Contact Fr. Columba Kelly or Fr. Jeremy King @Saintmeinrad.edu. Propers are sung there daily, in English. There is a vast resource – far beyond what appears online. These antiphons are outstanding. Inspired by English rhetoric and phonetics, they are very simple, and employ the emotional dynamic of the modes very well." (Ralph Bednarz)

You could also contact Ben Yanke, who has a collection of Weekday Propers in the style of Adam Bartlett's Simple English Propers. I can't find them online anymore, unfortunately.
    Thanked by 2CCooze acadia
  • a_f_hawkins
    Fr Weber has done settings, for the ordination of a deacon (last page).
    Thanked by 1acadia
  • acadia
    These are great suggestions - thank you!