Communion Antiphon Source / Translation
  • For the 21st Sunday of Ordinary Time

In the Graduale Romanum, the Communion Antiphon is cited from Ps. 103:13-15. The Latin text being: "De fructu óperum tuórum, Dómine..." Page 329

The Gregorian Missal has the same Latin chant, and the English translation reads, "The earth is replete with the fruits of your work, O Lord..." Page 555

The Simple English Propers (by Adam Bartlett) also use the Ps. 103 text. Page 285

All good, so far.

However,

The Lumen Christi Simple Gradual (also by Adam Bartlett) #310 AND The Proper of the Mass for Sunday's and Solemnities (by Fr. Samuel Weber) Page 609, #1430 have a DIFFERENT communion Antiphon, cited as Jn. 6:57, "Whoever eats my flesh and drinks my blood remains in me and I in him, says the Lord."

Why are these different? It's the Same Sunday Mass?!? I have noticed similar inconsistencies on other Sunday's as well.

• matthewjmatthewj
    All of the books give two options for the Communion of this weekend - the Graduale Romanum gives the "ad libitum" option of the Qui Manducat after the De fructu notation, the Gregorian Missal lists "or Qui Manducat" after De fructu, and the Roman Missal gives "or" between the two antiphons.

You have two options.
  • smvanroodesmvanroode
    I can answer this for the Lumen Christi Simple Gradual.

For the 21st Sunday in Ordinary Time, the Graduale Romanum has two chants for communion: De fructu (Ps. 103:13-15) and Qui manducat (Jn 6:57).

But the Lumen Christi Simple Gradual doesn't have all Communion Antiphons. In the Introduction, Bartlett writes:
    Additionally, because of the immensity of the antiphons prescribed for use in Ordinary Time, and because these antiphons are generally more generic in nature, only a a selection of the Offertory and Communion Antiphons for the Sundays of Ordinary Time have been provided in this simple gradual. (p. xix)

So, only a selection of the Communion Antiphons appears in the simple gradual. De fructu isn't one of them, but Qui manducat is.

This seasonal use of antiphons is permitted in the preface of the Graduale Romanum:
    For pastoral reasons also there is an option regarding the chants for the Proper of Seasons: namely, as circumstances suggest, to replace the text proper to a day with another text belonging to the same season. (p. 8)
    Thanked by 1eft94530
  • SalieriSalieri
    Also, Qui manducat is one of the Ad lib. Eucharistic Antiphons listed in the Graduale Romanum, so the editors deemed it more appropriate to give a chant with a wider use in the Lumen Christi Simple Gradual and Weber's Propers of the Mass than one specific to a particular Sunday. It makes the books more user friendly for beginning choirs (and congregations, in the case of LCSG).
    Thanked by 1BruceL