New "O Magnum Mysterium"
  • ClergetKubiszClergetKubisz
    I just finished a short, four-voice motet setting of "O Magnum Mysterium." Would anyone like to use it this Christmas?
  • Maybe.
  • Adam WoodAdam Wood
    HOW WOULD ANYONE KNOW?
    I'll work out some engraving issues, and then I'll post it to this thread.
    Thanked by 1CHGiffen
    Ok, here goes. Couldn't figure out how to remove the excess measures, though. It's been a while since I used Finale Notepad.
    Here's the version with the extra measures removed. Finally figured it out!
    Thanked by 1CHGiffen
  • chonakchonak
    Right now, the tessituras are rather low for everyone; it's more like AATB than SATB, so you could probably make this easier by transposing it up, even to F major.
    Ok. I noticed that as well. Here is the same piece transposed up a 3rd to F Major.
    Thanked by 2CHGiffen Salieri
  • chonakchonak
    If you can generate a MIDI file from that, feel free to post it.
  • I think that it is lovely, quite lovely.
    One thing, though, that I would change were I doing it -
    that would be organ rather than piano accompaniment.
    I would not consider the piano.
    Further, the only independent instrumental part is the few bars of introduction.
    This anthem would be quite as effective, if not more so, sung a capella, sansintroduction.
    At any rate, it is beautiful, refreshingly unpretentious and clean.
    Thanked by 1CHGiffen
  • chonakchonak
    The other day I saw a video performance of Gounod's Ave verum in which the choir hummed the organ introduction; perhaps that would work here too.
    Thanked by 1StimsonInRehab
  • Ohhh!... I hate choral humming!
    Thanked by 1Casavant Organist
  • Strophic and vaguely reminiscent of Rene Laurisden.

Quick question: is the insistence on dissonance intentionally building off the notion of "mysterium"?
  • melofluentmelofluent
    Or Morton Clausen.
    @MJO: the accompaniment was intended for organ, but the limits of Finale NotePad are such that I could not put an organ in without having 3 staves. I just wanted the two. The accompaniment is completely ad libitum anyway: you could just start where the choir enters and sing a cappella from there.
    Thanked by 1M. Jackson Osborn
  • Clerget,

I'm being thick, dense or stupid, I guess. If the accompaniment is "completely ad libitum anyway", what does it matter how many staves you have for the organ part? Similarly, wouldn't it take a skilled organist to improvise under all that dissonance without damaging the effect it seems you're trying to create?
    Just for space saving purposes. I suppose the whole composition would be better a cappella anyway, but I included the accompaniment colla voce in case it was needed. A skilled accompanist can read in open score, but many who might be accompanying this might not be able to do that.
    Thanked by 1donr
    Here's the MIDI (the F major version)

• Adam WoodAdam Wood
    I like it.
  • SalieriSalieri
    I like it, too.

I particularly like your use of the f in the Alto as a pedal-tone; and also the transition from the fourth to fifth bars on p. 4, you think it's going to be V7-I, but it isn't: the addition of the ninth is attention getting but not distracting - at this point, as a choir director, I would make sure that there is no breath between "portare" and "Dominum", it definitely want's to be one phrase, perhaps you could put in a little warning about that? (Dotted slur?)
  • chonakchonak
    Here's an MP3:

• Bump. I did this a couple of years ago. Still free for anyone to use. If you make a recording, just send me one too!
    Thanked by 1marymezzo