Liturgical Music Questionnaire: Please Leave Your Vote!
  • melofluentmelofluent
    and have mastered the art of melofluent contrariness. Somehow, it all works. LOL.

That is among the nicest things anyone has ever said about me! Geezerdom!
    Thanked by 1CharlesW
  • cmb
    2. Preferably ad orientem, and in Latin. (AKA, what the NO is supposed to be.)
  • johnmann
    I've been to that! But then not every TLM has a lutinist and a baroque guitarist hanging around to accompany Gregor Aichinger's "Regina Cœli".

Elvis in Change of Habit is more like what I had in mind.

Trigger warning: The linked video cannot be unseen. For those with liturgy sensitivity, it may cause nausea, vomiting, and trouble sleeping.
  • 1, but I can live with 2 or 3. My parish is somewhere between 4 and 5 now.
  • Torculus
    1. By a long shot.
  • JulieCollJulieColl
    1. on Sundays
    2. on weekdays
  • kevinfkevinf
    1 The colloquium confirmed my love for it.
    2 also I would welcome.
  • MatthewRoth
  • johnmann
    On weekdays, I think it might be worth keeping alive the tradition of the barebones Mass. Make solemnity really really progressive.
    Thanked by 1noel jones, aago
  • IanWIanW
    Ordinariate Use.

#1 would be good, too.
  • stepgstepg
  • melofluentmelofluent
    Plus me in with England's finest Ian W., I could go Ordinariate too. I don't suppose RC's are granted that indult though, are we?
    Thanked by 1Salieri
  • IanWIanW
    You could attend an Ordinariate Use mass and take communion just as you might an Eastern Rite celebration, Charles - is no outrage. I doubt a non-Ordinariate priest could celebrate it in a non-Ordinariate parish; though perhaps a sung Evensong & Benediction or Compline might be permitted?
  • chonakchonak
    The relationship is even closer than the relation of Roman-rite Catholics to Eastern Catholics. Ordinariate Catholics are Roman-rite Catholics. They just happen to belong to a diocese-like structure with particular privileges.

• Of those you list I would vote for 2.

But you left out 1a = Ordinariate..., which would have no competition for me.
  • CHGiffenCHGiffen
    Add 1a = Ordinariate for me, too. At least it reflects that tradition I came out of before becoming Roman Catholic.
  • Jeffrey Quick
  • tomboysuzetomboysuze
    Realistically...2 - but only because I don't understand Latin enough to attend 1 and feel like I've prayed the mass with the congregation.
  • Tomboysuze,

Remember that not being a Latin scholar failed to prevent St. Therese of Lisieux from becoming a saint or from loving the Mass. I know many people who attend this Mass who aren't Latin scholars. Their point isn't merely to understand intellectually, but to be able to worship God.
  • 2 (1 on occasion, at this point; if my family and I could attend more TLM, we might move toward 1)
  • francis
    tomboysuze

Go, and disconnect your head from the liturgy at first. Just be there in heart, and take in the beauty of every aspect. If you never uttered a word for the first few times, God would still be elated that you have joined into the timeless Mass of the ages, and your soul would be much better for doing so than attending a thousand OF Masses.

I think we have become too cerebral and emphasize way too much that side of our being this day and age, and that is why our souls languish for the beauty that cannot be put into words. If I listen to one performance of Palestrina at one EF Mass and don't understand a word, it is much more beneficial for me than if I sing 100 hymns in English at an OF. Just sayin.
  • 1 or 2 ish
  • kenstb
    If I had my druthers, No. 1.
  • dad29
    ! and 2 are near a dead tie.
  • TCJ
    1 for sure.
  • francis
    Ok... Everyone, let's all move to a single parish and be the instant music program :)
    Thanked by 1JulieColl
  • Liam
    Where two or three are gathered in His Name . . . . there will be trouble.
  • johnmann
    Chant flash mob. A different parish every week.
  • bhcordovabhcordova
    Chant flash mob. A different parish every week.

Sounds great! Let's do it! When and where do we start!
  • I gave it a serious thought for a minute before posting that comment. I don't think it's sustainable unless there's a core group of paid participants. It would have to be limited to a small geographic area after all. Smaller than a diocese. Volunteers can be trained and given the opportunity to be hired for pay in the future. You would need the cooperation of pastors though they may be happy with just the extra offering coming in.

Ideally, you'd want to offer lessons before and/or after Mass for anyone from the parish who wishes to participate.
  • BruceL
    1.5: Revision of TLM as suggested by Sacrosanctum Concilium, NOT what we ended up with in 1969.
    Thanked by 1Adam Wood
  • 1, for which we presently make a 2.5 hour round trip weekly. (I have traded in my Anglican-choirmaster duties for the principalship of a charter school, so Sundays are a bit calmer at the moment, but we've been making the round trip since 2008.) OAOS is at university w/#5 'catholic' center but by bicycle takes in a #4 super-early OF with minimal music and longs for weekends home...

johnmann, I like your idea of core group/paid+training for many. My present itinerant schola consists of adults who so often get pulled away by necessary overtime/second job that if I could pay even four of them, things would immediately improve as I would have a dependable core for the followers to follow as they work on becoming more self-reliant. But the (excellent) priests for whom we assist at Mass don't see that as a viable (or particularly Catholic) option (absolutely no offense intended; I see their point at this time in this situation).
    Thanked by 1CHGiffen
  • aria
    3 most of the time, with 2 for Solemnities.