Recordings from Colloquium 2015
  • Carl DCarl D
    The recordings from last week's Colloquium are now published on the recording archive. I've made it through everything I was given.

Please, if you have anything else to add, please send it over! And let me know if you see any mistakes.

I haven't pulled together the ZIP files for downloading in bulk - I'll get to those when I'm able.
  • MatthewRoth
    Here is a Youtube vid of the Byrd motet from the 1st Mass. http://youtu.be/3eyHRSo6ZxQ
    Thanked by 2CHGiffen Choirparts
  • StimsonInRehabStimsonInRehab
    So, I must ask - did anyone record the new composition session?
  • Jeffrey Quick
    I did. I have no idea how they turned out. All you fast people must either have nothing else to do with your time, or you were pushing buttons all the time during the Masses. I parked my recorder in the best place I could find and let it run until the end...which means a lot of editing.
    Thanked by 1StimsonInRehab
  • Richard R.
    If anybody captured Day 1 (Tuesday), I really would like a recording of my little English Mass.
    Thanked by 1canadash
  • MatthewRoth
    Richard, I thought it was quite nice FWIW.

Did anyone record Vespers? Dr. Weber’s playing was magnificent, and I am curious to hear the psalmody again...
    Thanked by 1canadash
  • Carl DCarl D
    And the New Compositions is the hardest one. For the last couple of years I stitched each together from various pieces. But thank you for doing the work, just contact me when you're done, JQ.
  • JDE
    I noticed from my seat at the new music reading that someone had left a recording device on top of the disused organ stage left. It appeared to be recording the entire time.

I second Matthew's comment -- I quite liked Richard's English Mass. It was an easy read for professionals, of course (as I presume it was meant to be), but I think it would also be easy for a congregation to pick up because it flows well with the natural rhythm of the text and uses predominantly stepwise melodic movement.
  • Jeffrey Quick
    Recording is a little bass-heavy, but it will do. I'll get it out when I can get it out.
    Thanked by 1canadash
  • Richard R.
    Thanks for the kind words. I realize recording has become a haphazard feature of Colloquium, but it does strike me as reinforcing the impression of that first English Mass of the week as a bit of a throw-away. And it's not very encouraging to a composer, no matter how modest his offerings, to be passed over for the record.
    Thanked by 1CHGiffen
  • melofluentmelofluent
    but it does strike me as reinforcing the impression of that first English Mass of the week as a bit of a throw-away.

Hear, hear, Richard. And acknowledging your own preferences as I understand them towards the V.Ordo, I've also questioned, if only in my mind, why this situation has seemed to be de rigeur.
  • Carl DCarl D
    My deep thanks to Richard Chonak, Janet Gorbitz, Greg Plese, Jeffrey Quick, Rick Stuhler and Ben Yanke for their contributions to this year's Colloquium Recording Archive. We now have all the Masses from Tuesday through Saturday, new compositions from four talented composers, Dr Mahrt's address on Friday, and a panel discussion.

Enjoy!
    Thanked by 2CHGiffen Choirparts
  • chonakchonak
    Thank you, Carl. It's a pity we only have fragments of the Tuesday, June 30, Mass.

This is a rather imperfect recording of the Byrd motet:
    Thanked by 1CHGiffen
  • Carl DCarl D
    Thanks, RC. I captured that down at the bottom, since it was a practice session rather than during the Mass. Right?
  • MatthewRoth
    Carl, did you see Ben’s video to which I linked above?
  • TCJ
    I know someone who recorded a lot of the Colloquium. I'm not sure what he recorded, but I think he is willing to share what he has. I just need to speak to him about it. What is missing right now (or is poor quality)? I don't know the quality of his though.
  • janetgorbitzjanetgorbitz
    I had my recorder with me this year, but was actually too tied up to be at the complete liturgies some days and didn't get to make many breakout sessions. I actually have two recorders, so maybe I can get designated recording volunteers to assist with my recorders next year...

Did anyone get Horst's breakout on "Summorum Pontificum Revisted"? I heard that discussion and thought it was very interesting. (My recorder was below, recording the panel discussion by request).
  • Jeffrey Quick
    Carl should have all the New Music Reading now.
    Thanked by 1CHGiffen
  • Carl DCarl D
    The New Music Readings are now all posted. Thank you, Jeffrey!

I've also pulled together ZIP collections of each of the Masses and of the New Compositions. Just MP3 at this point, but you can bulk-download them on the specific download page.
  • chonakchonak
    Hi, Carl: that motet recording was from the Mass. I didn't make any rehearsal recordings this year.

• chonakchonak
    By the way, folks, do send what you have after the colloquium even if you think Carl already has it from someone else. Your recorder may be better located for some portions of the Mass than the recordings other people have sent.
    Thanked by 1Ben
  • Carl DCarl D
    Right, thanks!
  • kevinfkevinf
    I would die for the last hymn on Tuesday. It really got to me. Marvelous text and everyone singing it was incredible.
    Thanked by 2chonak canadash
  • Jeffrey Quick
    I have that on video. I'll try to rip the audio.
    Coe Fen was very well received last year, too...
  • kevinfkevinf
    Thanks to whoever sent the hymn recording in. Now to track down the copyright to the tune so I can use it.
    Thanked by 1Jeffrey Quick
  • SalieriSalieri
    Oxford University Press
  • BenBen
    It's a lovely tune, I really liked it.
    i can send the contact info... just em or pm me.
  • SalieriSalieri
    I have dealt with OUP before, and found them to be extremely helpful and courteous, and generous.
  • kevinfkevinf
    Already found it, spoke to OUP and I am good. Thanks again to all.