Vatican takes down Christmas decorations on Feb. 2 this year
  • Chrism
    A change from the previous pontificate?

2009: We were surprised to see everything being packed up because traditionally the Nativity scene and tree stayed up until the Feb. 2 feast of the Presentation of the Lord.
    A quick call to the offices governing Vatican City revealed that “it had been decided this year to take everything down at the end of the Christmas period.”
    So it seems Jan. 11, the Baptism of the Lord, now marks the end of the Christmas period for the Vatican.

2015: Every year on February 2, the Vatican takes down its official Christmas Tree and Nativity Scene. This tradition marks the Feast of the the Presentation of Jesus at the Temple.
    After standing tall by the side of the obelisk, the white fir tree brought from Calabria will now be used to make wooden toys for needy children.
  • A return to tradition?
    Thanked by 1Ben
  • ...to make wooden toys for needy children.

How fortunate these needy children are! Wooden toys? I'd rather have such than the hideous plastic trash that less needy children are given these days.
  • bhcordovabhcordova
    My dad used to make toys for our local women's shelter. Then, one day, the director said she could no longer accept the toys because federal regulations require them to be tested for toxic materials. Since my dad could not afford & did not know how to get this done, he had to quit making them.
  • BruceL
    Next thing you know, we're going to have the pope celebrating the TLM!!!!!

(ok, maybe not, but I'm glad he justified me leaving my tree up!)
  • CharlesW
    I always take my tree down before Lent begins. I don't care what the Vatican does. ;-)
    Thanked by 1CHGiffen
  • We always leave it up until Candlemas.