Help for EF Propers for Sunday, Feb. 1
  • JulieCollJulieColl
    I'm having difficulty identifying the EF propers for next Sunday, Feb. 1. I thought it was the Fourth Sunday after Epiphany, but neither the Institute of Christ the King's website nor the FSSP ordo at Our Lady of Guadalupe Seminary have it listed. All I can see on the FSSP ordo is this:

FEBRUARY

01 St. Ignatius of Antioch - 3rd class
    or Immaculate Heart of Mary - 3rd Class
    02 Purification of the Blessed Virgin Mary - 2nd class

Any advice would be much appreciated!
  • Feb 1, 2015: Septuagesima Sunday (source)
  • It's Septuagesima. In days gone by, Epiphany IV would be anticipated on Saturday 1/31 in a year like 2015, but in the current rubrics it is omitted entirely this year, and on the Sunday after All Saints Epiphany V is resumed.
    Thanked by 1JulieColl
  • JulieCollJulieColl
    Thanks so much for the clarifications, Andrew and Aristotle. The sources I mentioned above are still in the year 2014, and I didn't notice that little detail. I can't believe Septuagesima is upon us so soon. My Christmas tree is still up!
    Thanked by 1Salieri
  • SalieriSalieri
    My Christmas tree is still up!

And so it should be! Keep it 'til Candlemas!
  • JulieCollJulieColl
    Thanks for that encouragement, Salieri. So it shall be. I love Candlemas Mass! That is my favorite celebration of the year.
  • We also leave it up until Candlemas.
    Thanked by 2CHGiffen JulieColl
  • MatthewRoth
    It is especially neat this year as Septuagesima coincides with the Super Bowl... What a way to end Christmas and Epiphany and move towards Lent.
    Thanked by 1JulieColl
  • tomjaw
    Sadly the LMS online Ordo is not posted yet... Paper copy is for sale! Anyway here is another online Ordo, will post the link to the LMS ordo when it goes online.

http://divinumofficium.com/cgi-bin/horas/ordo.pl

N.B. Septuagesima Sunday! bit late to plan to sing one of the hymns / antiphons to say goodbye to the Alleluia!
    Thanked by 1JulieColl
  • JulieCollJulieColl
    Thanks so much for the link, tomjaw. I just realized too that tomorrow is the last Alleluia for a while. I'm just not ready for Lent yet. : (
  • Cantus67Cantus67
    Candlemas, yep.
  • JulieCollJulieColl
    Those honey-scented beeswax candles are addictive.
  • Cantus67Cantus67
    Actually Julie, will this help? It hasn't been beta tested so there might be some mistakes but It's free. And yeah, REALLY free, copyright free, just give us credit as the authors.
    Thanked by 2JulieColl expeditus1
  • Cantus67Cantus67
    I'll have the propers of the mass done soon too. They're more compact and easier to read than a lot of the editions that are out there on the net. I'll post those when they're done.
    Thanked by 1JulieColl
  • dad29
    Septuagesima coincides with the Super Bowl... What a way to end Christmas and Epiphany and move towards Lent.

That purple is certainly the case for Green Bay fans.
  • JulieCollJulieColl
    Thank you so much, Cantus!! These are beautifully done and infinitely better than my usual cut-and-paste slapdash job.

Thanked by 1Cantus67
  • JulieCollJulieColl
    One more question about this Sunday in the EF: do we begin singing the Ave Regina Caelorum since it is pre-Lent, or does that begin on Candlemas as always?
    Thanked by 1jczarn
  • gregpgregp
    do we begin singing the Ave Regina Caelorum since it is pre-Lent, or does that begin on Candlemas as always

According to the Ordo from the FSSP, one would begin singing it on the evening before Candlemas, so Mass on Septuagesima would still have "Alma Redemptoris Mater".
    Thanked by 1JulieColl
  • JulieCollJulieColl
    Thanks!
  • Protasius
    Ave Regina caelorum is sung from Compline on 2nd February onwards. Candlemas Vespers still have Alma Redemptoris mater.
  • JulieCollJulieColl
    Thanks for the explanations. The Alma redemptoris mater is obviously far more appropriate for the Feast of the Purification so that is why it is retained, no doubt. At any rate, it's the one last musical connection to the Christmas season so I'm happy we can sing it once more this Sunday and on Monday. Hey, we're going to have we have (!) so much snow around here already it feels like a tiny recreation of Christmas.
  • Here is another version of an EF booklet for the benediction of candles for the Candlemas procession. The first file is set up to print on legal size paper.
  • JulieCollJulieColl
    Thanks so much for the pdf's, Arthur. They are beautifully made.
  • Speaking of these Propers, I see that Jeff O. has the wrong De Profundis up as the Tract.
    Thanked by 1CHGiffen
  • Cantus67Cantus67
    Jeffrey Q. You mean this one?
    As always chant editions provided by OLMC Littleton CO are ALWAYS copyright free. Post them online, use them in your liturgy, use them to the glory of God.
  • CHGiffenCHGiffen
    Thanks for the correct De Profundis, Cantus. Yep, Jeff O. really blew it at the ccwatershed.
  • Cantus67Cantus67
    Well, he works VERY hard. I give the man a lot of credit!!

R
  • The A-word should have been the tipoff...
    But really, I'd been wanting to do the Regondi O Sacrum convivium from St. Gregory, so we rehearsed it last night and it went swimmingly at first go... and then I realized with horror that we really couldn't do it for Sexagesima because of the Alleluias at the end. So there's the log in my own eye.
    Thanked by 1JulieColl
  • JulieCollJulieColl
    I'm having the same problem. Everything I practiced with my children's schola for this Sunday has an Alleluia in it so I'm doing some last-minute shuffling.