Weekday Propers for Advent Feria
  • chonakchonak
    This discussion was created from comments split from: Weekday Propers?.
    Thanked by 1JulieColl
  • JulieCollJulieColl
    Am resurrecting this thread. We've been asked to sing an EF Missa Cantata next Tuesday, Dec. 9, and I'm fuzzy on the details since we've never done this before. The FSSP liturgical calendar says:

9 Feria of Advent - 3rd class

Does this mean the propers and readings are the same as next Sunday (2nd Sunday of Advent)? No Credo, is that correct? Is there an Alleluia? What about the preface?

Any other relevant details would be most appreciated!
  • JulieColl,
    I have the FSSP ordo, which includes the following relevant musical info about Advent:

1. On Sundays of Advent, the Gloria is omitted. On ferias when the Mass of the preceding Sunday is said, the Alleluia and its verse are omitted.
    2-4. Info about commemorations, use of flowers and organ, and Gaudete (rose) Sunday.
    5. In place of the Preface of the Blessed Trinity on Sunday and the Common Preface on weekdays, the Preface for Advent may be used.
    6-7. O Antiphons and Marian antiphon.

Hope this helps. For December 9, Mass of the preceding Sunday, no Gloria or Creed, no Alleluia. Preface of Advent may be used. And in #3, "the organ is silent, except (if necessary) to sustain the choir."
    Thanked by 1JulieColl
  • JulieCollJulieColl
    This is so helpful, David. Thanks so much!
  • tomjaw
    I find the LMS ordo (online and free!) to be worth looking at...

http://www.lms.org.uk/find-a-mass/ordo-2014-dec
    Thanked by 2CHGiffen JulieColl
  • JulieCollJulieColl
    This is great, tomjaw. It's interesting that the Alleluia verse is omitted on Advent feria days.
  • tomjaw
    The Advent feral days have (had) other differences, below quote from 'The Liturgical Year, Gueranger, Vol1, pg33.

"the rubrics prescribe that certain prayers should be said kneeling, at the end of each canonical Hour, and that the choir should also kneel during a considerable portion of the Mass. In this respect, the usages of Advent are precisely the same as those of Lent."
    Thanked by 1JulieColl
  • I am looking into the propers for First Friday masses, Ordinary Form, and want to be sure I understand the numbering of feriae in the Graduale Romanum of 1974. I think that feriae in the sense of "weekdays" are numbered 2 through 6, so Feria 6 would be Friday, right? Sunday is Dominica, and Saturday is Sabbato.

According to Latdict, quintus feria is 5th day, Thursday.
  • Yes, feria secunda (2) is Monday and feria sexta (6) is Friday.
    Thanked by 1GregoryWeber
  • For ultimate reassurance, note that Good Friday is Feria Sexta in Passione Domini.
    Thanked by 1GregoryWeber