Most Singable CM Hymntune
  • G
    What is the most-likely-to-get-all-and-sundry-regardless-of-faith-church-attendance-or-musical-knowledge tune in CM?
    (Other than NEW BRITAIN)

TIA

(Save the Liturgy, Save the World)
  • Adam WoodAdam Wood
    GILIGAN'S ISLAND
  • SalieriSalieri
    ST FLAVIAN
  • Kathy
    THE COLLECTED POETRY OF EMILY DICKINSON
    Thanked by 1Gavin
  • melofluentmelofluent
    Geri- qualified answers:
    Most known-ANTIOCH
    My choices: (tie) DETROIT/MORNING SONG
    Real choice, CM doubled-KINGSFOLD
  • ClergetKubiszClergetKubisz
    ERHALT UNS, HERR: it's used for every other hymn during Lent
  • CHGiffenCHGiffen
    TUNES, Kathy, TUNES!!!

Hands down best known: ST ANNE ("O God, our help in ages past")
    Most singable: SWABIA ("'Tis good, Lord, to be here")
    Very singable: ST FLAVIAN (eg. "Lord, who throughout these forty days")
    Under-appreciated but very singagle: DUNDEE (eg. "Let saints on earth in concert sing"
    Also excellent: ST STEPHEN (eg. "The King shall come when morning dawns")

Thanked by 2Kathy mgearthman
  • CHGiffenCHGiffen
    Ummm, ERHALT UNS HERR is not C.M. (86. 86 iambic), but L.M. (88. 88 iambic).
    Thanked by 1Adam Wood
  • I have always been partial to ST MAGNUS, particularly as wedded to 'The head that once was crowned with thorns' at no. 106 in the The Hymnal 1940.
    A rather neglected but quite charming gem is THIS ENDRYS NIGHT, rare in Amercian hymnaries, but found in The English Hymnal.
    Thanked by 1CHGiffen
  • CHGiffenCHGiffen
    MJO, that is a wonderful tune which I like very much, but I just didn't know if it would pass muster for the criteria cited by the OP.
  • Richard MixRichard Mix
    AZMON has opened almost every Methodist hymnal and it's one I've played a lot as a sub. I see it's missing from the Catholic Community Hymnal...
  • On Sunday I programmed "O God we give ourselves today". When we have the organ, we usually sing it to IRISH, but after we tried this a cappella a couple of years ago, I wrote underneath, "NO ONE KNEW THIS TUNE!" This time we used ST BERNARD and everyone sang.
    Thanked by 1Kathy
  • matthewjmatthewj
    There's a fantastic tune in CBWIII put with The King Shall Come When Morning Dawns.

CBWIII doesn't identify it, but the old CBWIII website referred to it as MOUNT ATHOS.

Anyone have any information on this tune?
  • CHGiffenCHGiffen
    I googled "mount athos tune" and got this as the first thing, not what we wanted but, wow, nice!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q3eoP2wFsi8
  • melofluentmelofluent
    MJM, I referred to that tune as MORNING SONG.
  • ronkrisman
    Ummm, ERHALT UNS HERR is not C.M. (86. 86 iambic), but L.M. (88. 88 iambic).

And, (ummm), SWABIA is not C.M. either, but rather SHORT METER (66 86 iambic).
    Thanked by 1CHGiffen
  • Kathy
    G probably has her answers, so I thought I'd ask, as a non-composer, whether there are special challenges to writing in the different meters?
  • CHGiffenCHGiffen
    Oops, about SWABIA ... my bad. How stupid of me. Thanks, Fr. Ron.

Edit: Even worse, I've actually harmonized this tune for the Hymn Tune Introits for Christmas.
    Thanked by 1Andrew Motyka
  • AndrewK
    RICHMOND or NEWMAN
  • SalieriSalieri
    CRANBROOK (ON ILKLA MOOR BAH'T 'AT) (Just a slight hint of purple, here)
  • CHGiffenCHGiffen
    ... I thought I'd ask, as a non-composer, whether there are special challenges to writing in the different meters?

Yes and no, Kathy. But there may be similar issues for a hymn text author such as yourself.

Personally, I find myself motivated by specific hymn texts that grab my attention, and reading such a text over and over will sometimes provide the impetus for composing a new tune (as opposed to harmonizing an old tune). Rarely (for me), singing such a text to an extant hymn tune will help in the quest for a new tune ... this is in opposition to what I perceive as a technique used by hymn text authors such as yourself (I vaguel;y recall that you sometimes say you "hear" a text that you've written to a particular tune).

To cite an example: Iambic meters (eg. L.M. or C.M.), of course, imply a pick-up to the downbeat that can be somewhat relaxed, say, by giving the first syllable two beats so that the stressed second syllable falls on the third beat in common time, or by setting the text in triple time so that the first three syllables (on beats 1,2,3 of the first measure) become a lead-in to the stress on the downbeat of the second measure that coincides with the stress on the fourth syllable. Often, the particular way the iambic meter is handled by the text will suggest one of these alternatives, whichever way best fits the often encountered weakening of the iambic structure at the beginning of the line in some texts (something which Kathy has pointed out in the past).

With other stress patterns (eg. trochaic) and meters (eg. 77. 77..., or 87. 87..., or 76. 76..., 98. 98..., 11 11. 11 5, etc.) there are similar issues. And there are considerations when composing a doubled meter (such as C.M.D. or L.M.D.) for eight line texts that are different from the composition of shorter meters for, say, four or six line texts.

I should add that at times I will find myself experimenting (usually humming or singing) with some sort of extemporized faux-chant to a text that interests me, perhaps as a warm-up to trying to find way of setting the text metrically. Occasionally this will lead to a plainchant setting of the text instead of (or in addition to) a metrical setting.

Obviously, the point that I'm trying to make is that I don't just wake up one day and say to myself, "I think I'll compose a Long Meter hymn today." ... and, after coffee, think, "No, I'd better compose a 76. 76. D tune instead." For me, it is almost invariably the case that the text leads to the music.
    Thanked by 1Kathy
  • A somewhat "contemporary" (copyrighted) CM tune that is quite singable is the chant-like CHRISTIAN LOVE, commonly paired with the text "Where Charity and Love Prevail."
  • matthewjmatthewj
    MJM, I referred to that tune as MORNING SONG.

No. You didn't.

Different tune.
    Thanked by 1melofluent
  • melofluentmelofluent
    Sorry, didn't reference MOUNT ATHOS, confused it with the more common "Kentucky Harmony" version. My bad.
  • matthewjmatthewj
    Just actually opened CBWIII. They list it as "CM, Greek traditional melody. Harmonization 1990 Fred K Graham"
  • Liam
    WINCHESTER OLD is a sturdy fine tune that invites lovely descants.
    Thanked by 1Adam Wood
  • TALLIS' ORDINAL
  • St. Agnes, by Dykes.