Call for recordings: Colloquium 2014
  • Carl DCarl D
    Unfortunately, I'm unable to make it to the Colloquium this year. So I'd like to solicit attendees who have MP3 recorders to help me out with gathering recordings of Masses, concerts, lectures, and other sessions. As in the past 6 years, I'd be glad to process the recordings and post them with others in the Colloquium Archive.

Please contact me if you're interested to help out.

Carl Dierschow
    carl@dierschow.com
    Thanked by 1jczarn
  • matthewjmatthewj
    The quality of recordings one can get with an iPhone is also very good nowadays, so this should be easier than ever.
  • BenBen
    But it's nothing compared to a good recorder. I think an iphone should be the last option.

I have a zoom h4n, and can assist.

We should make a sign-up or spreadsheet somewhere of all the breakout sessions to keep track of who has what so that things don't get missed.
  • WendiWendi
    I like the sign up sheet idea.
    Thanked by 1ClergetKubisz
  • Carl DCarl D
    As soon as the program get done I can put something together. But in the end, we get what we're able.
  • chonakchonak
    I'll record as much as I can with my Olympus portable.
  • jczarn
    I will be attending this year and will bring my Zoom H4n. I'm thinking about buying a gorillapod to give me a little more flexibility in where to place the recorder - it was a bit difficult for me to find suitable places to put the recorder without fear of it getting knocked over when I used it at the 2012 Colloquium.
  • Carl DCarl D
    I found it helpful to have a long extension cord, tape, and time to study the layout of the building. Even so, it took some patience and luck.
  • Carl DCarl D
    Last chance for people to volunteer: If you'll be attending the Colloquium and would like to help supply recordings for the archive, please send me a note.

Carl Dierschow
    carl@dierschow.com
  • SalieriSalieri
    Someone absolutely, positively needs to record Jeffrey Morse's lecture on Child Choristers! Please, please, please!
    Thanked by 1ClergetKubisz
  • WendiWendi
    Done Saleri, several of us are going to that one and I fully intend to record it.
  • chonakchonak
    Bumping the thread as events begin, to facilitate updates.
    Thanked by 1Carl D
  • canadashcanadash
    Thank you to those who will record. I have listened to recordings in the past and they have been helpful. Have fun!
  • JulieCollJulieColl
    Speaking of good video recorders, we just got a Q2HD video recorder, and the audio quality is just awesome.
  • BenBen
    I'll be helping to record as well. Wish I had gotten a gorilla-pod though...
    Thanked by 1Carl D
  • ossian1898ossian1898
    Here is a video I took of Wilko's choir yesterday:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3PX9YfJYPz4&feature=youtu.be
  • G
    The break-outs have been extraordinary, Fridays abundance makes for a particularly difficult choice.
    Anyone recording Cecilia's choral, or David's Mind the Gap?

(Save the Liturgy, Save the World)
  • BenBen
    I'm going to the improvisation breakout with David, if my recorder is working again I'll get it.
  • BenBen
    Also, thanks for the recording, Ossian! I'll include it in my video tomorrow morning!
  • WendiWendi
    I caught part of the breakout Dr. Nam gave, but my recorder is misbehaving so I didn't catch the first ten minutes or so.
  • Carl DCarl D
    Whatever you can send, Wendi! I'll pick the best recording I can find.
  • WendiWendi
    As soon as I get home I'll send you what I have...I know right where my usb cord is...on top of my piano. :)
  • I saw a couple of people recording my presentation, and I was wondering, if any of them read this, if they would send me a message. I tried to record it myself, but completely failed in my use of my own equipment.
  • matthewjmatthewj
    Somehow now I have images in my mind of Motyka fiddling around with one of those clunky cassette recorders and cassette tape flying through the air.

And now I'm realizing some members of this forum might be young enough to have no idea what I'm talking about.
    Thanked by 1Andrew Motyka
  • BenBen
    Now with this one, you're not actually over most of our heads, I think. I'm only 19, and I remember playing with tape recorders. But 8 track or something? That's way over my head.
  • ClergetKubiszClergetKubisz
    If you remember 45s that's something!
  • CHGiffenCHGiffen
    I remember 78s, 45s, 33+1/3s, reel-to-reel, 8-track and cassette. But my earliest remembrance of recorders is that of a wire recorder (the recording was impressed magnetically onto a moving wire).

And yes, I'm ancient.
    Thanked by 1melofluent
  • CharlesW
    I looked at some of the updates on the Chant Café, something I rarely read. But I did learn how to pronounce Ben's last name - Yon-kee, not yankee nor yank.

8 tracks were awful and the tapes often mistracked and wouldn't play. I was glad to see them go. I still use cassettes from time to time.
  • Carl DCarl D
    Andrew, I'm getting all the recordings onto my machine for the processing. Let me know which session you did and I'll see if I can find it.

Boy, do I need a faster PC and google fiber!
  • Carl DCarl D
    The recordings are starting to appear at the Colloquium recording archive. As always, let me know if you see errors or can help to fill in the missing information.
    Thanked by 1CHGiffen
    You're not ancient, CH, just experienced. You ever see those wax cylinders? I don't *remember* them per se, but I've seen and heard them!
  • CHGiffenCHGiffen
    Wax cylinders ... I've seen them and heard them! And I'm probably one of the oldest members here.
  • CharlesW
    They were before my time, but a collector played some wax cylinders for me some time ago.
  • Somehow now I have images in my mind of Motyka fiddling around with one of those clunky cassette recorders and cassette tape flying through the air.

Not exactly, but definitely in the same level of incompetence. I pressed record, which puts it into "standby" mode, and never pressed play to start the actual recording.

Of course, I found this out the next day, when I went to record the Requiem and found that I had nothing else on the recorder. I think I got a good take of the Victoria, though. I just have to break it up into individual tracks and I'll send it to Carl D.

(Unless someone here is better at that kind of thing, which they almost definitely are).
  • chonakchonak
    Carl, is it useful for us to break up a raw recording into tracks, or does that duplicate your work?

So far I've only edited one session recording, to take out a few minutes of talk in which students introduced themselves (largely inaudible and not of general interest).

• melofluentmelofluent
    Carl, I have the Requiem up to the tract. I didn't use a large megabyte setting, imagine my disappointment. But if you don't have something decent for that window, I'll be back at the office Tuesday,
  • BruceL
    Interestingly, if anyone wants a really good recording of Victoria a 4, Ensemble Plus Ultra has a great one on Archiv (not sure if it's on iTunes/etc.) A forum member recommended it a couple years ago. That sacred works box set was one of the most solid recs I've ever received. Highly recommended and a good picture of what Victoria sounds like with 2 on a part.

THAT SAID, the Victoria on Friday was a lot of fun. Just such serene music. A reminder that I need to program more!
  • melofluentmelofluent
    Hey Bruce, did you mean the motet on Friday or the Requiem on Saturday?
    I have the Requiem through the Graduale. I mis-assigned the form from mp196 to a wav.
    I hate it when that happens. But it sounds awesome.
  • BruceL
    Melo, I meant the Requiem ordinary and propers. Sorry: forgot about Melanie's. It's on there, too, as the Archiv recordings come as a box set. Great to see you, by the way, and hope your health is whole now that you're back in CA!
  • melofluentmelofluent
    I'm not in CA, still in the lobby with DBPage and Wm. Mahrt shooting bulls (not from Pamplona) I don't leave until 7EST, Bill and Daniel at 8!
    Yes, it was great to meet so many forum buds like you and Rich S. Too bad I didn't catch Clerget!
    I met Rich also: sat next to him in Brouwers choir. Good man, lovely voice!
  • Carl DCarl D
    No need to worry about splitting into tracks - that's the primary thing I'm doing with these. And there are occasions where someone will want a recording NOT split into each individual song - like to listen to a homily or sung reading or whatever. So I make sure I save (on my own PC) the original recording just in case.

As you've discovered, it's a lot of work to cut into individual songs! But I've found some tricks which make it a little easier.