Best and favorite Catholic Musicians.
  • PhatFlute
    Thanks! This is exactly what I have meant. No reason not to have an honest award.
  • Isn't church music supposed to be a non-competitive sport? I don't know many musicians who go to church for the accolades.
    Thanked by 3CHGiffen CharlesW Gavin
  • CharlesW
    Isn't church music supposed to be a non-competitive sport? I don't know many musicians who go to church for the accolades.

I only do church music for the money, fame, accolades, and of course, the groupies.
  • WendiWendi
    I'm definitely in it for the groupies. :)

In answer to your question Phatflute...I don't think I could pick the best if I had to. Each musician brings something unique to the music they play or sing and each offers it as a prayer...that being the case, I can't pick a best. However I will say that some of my personal favorites to listen to are my dear friend and coloratura Eden and my dear friend and organist David (although I like listening to him chant as well.) Then again listening to my five and eleven year old daughters chant the Ave Maria takes my breath away on a regular basis...I know, I'm very little help.
  • PhatFlute
    Ehhh if every one picks top 1 or 3 or 6 faves, we can pick the most commons.
  • CHGiffenCHGiffen
    The difficult part of this entire exercise, as originally requested, is that very few of us actually know Catholic musicians in either (or both) sufficient numbers or sufficiently well to make an useful assessment. From my vantage(?) point, most of the supposedly excellent Catholic musicians in my field of view are people I really only by name or reputation but not personally, nor have I worked with that many other Catholic musicians. It is probably the same for many who work "in the trenches" and don't get to travel or circulate on a wide scale.

Hence, at least to me, this seems rather analogous to a beauty pageant or talent contest on a huge (national? international?) scale in which people are asked to assess beauty or talent based on photographs or videos/recordings of the subjects in lieu of any personal knowledge or experience of or with the subjects.
  • Let me have a try, though I admit I'm listing people with whom I am at least acquainted.
    I am drawn to artistry and devotion, and appreciate most the minds that exhibit the ability to be at once meticulous and passionate.

Three hours go by...................

Ok, I tried and I am unable to offer anything. Not trying to go Camus on you, just don't want to be public about those who inspire me. Not ready to do that.

And Melo- you amaze me with your choice. You're going to have to pray real hard that I might live up to that! I pray, too, but my heart is not as tender and so I hope to rely on your good word for me. :)

Thanked by 1CHGiffen
  • melofluentmelofluent
    Well, my dear....I've seen you in action at St. Ann's. I've not yet experienced the doubtless pleasure of watching Pedro D'Aquino at Holy Innocents (sigh...., but he'll always land on his feet.) And at that time of our visit with Kathy, you were still in the nascent state of things. Now you have hundreds of invested urchins from all corners of humanity in that amazing little church. Boggles the mind. You pray for me as well, please.
    I have to say that as well-intentioned Phil's desire to designate an exemplary RCC musician, the very notion runs contrary to the mandatum, and to my patron's (Gregory I) preference to remain a mere servant of servants. So, I think it's wonderful to share our affection and anecdotes that may introduce mentors to novices in various locales, I can't seriously endorse an endgame to these musings.
    Thanked by 2Jani CHGiffen
  • Kathy
    Melo mentions the key problem. Even if we attend another musician's Mass, it's hard to know quite how that Mass came about. In order to really know a musician's strengths, you have to see them in rehearsal. Mary Ann runs rehearsal like a polyphony Master class. Everyone who attends improves, every time.
    Thanked by 1CHGiffen
  • SalieriSalieri
    Let's see, Cali. has Melo, Mahrt, Morse, MACW, La Rocca... I'm suddenly very lonely here in MA...
    Thanked by 1CHGiffen
  • CHGiffenCHGiffen
    I'm suddenly very lonely here in MA...
    Ditto here in western WI.
  • melofluentmelofluent
    CA hosts GregP, Chris T and Chris CZ too. But we also endure Gv Jerry Brown !
  • SalieriSalieri
    But it is much closer to AZ.
  • irishtenoririshtenor
    Isn't Samuel Dorlaque in CA, too? An embarrassment of riches, Golden Staters!
    Thanked by 1melofluent
  • Don't forget Rudy de Vos
  • PhatFlute
    Letus all vote now!! IS IT TIME: Nominate your 1, 3, or 6 favorite people with a comment.
  • chonakchonak
    Maybe this is a cultural thing, but it seems odd to talk about a single favorite, when the candidates are people you know personally. I remember PhatFlute observing that "favorite child" is not an idea that Americans want to talk about; perhaps it is the same for "favorite colleague".
  • melofluentmelofluent
    Alright, let's get it over with!
    1 Waffle House
    2 Mimi's Cafe
    3 Chipotle
    4 Outback Steakhouse
    5 Ruby Tuesday's
    6 Olive Garden
    Can we be done now?
    Thanked by 3Spriggo Gavin Jani
  • PhatFlute
    Well more people must vote before we finish but I will count your answers! Thank you.
  • I vote #3, vegetarian burrito bursting at the seams.
  • PhatFlute
    Winner so far: V. Chipotle, favorite composition: Burrito Bursting for choirs
    Thanked by 1melofluent
  • Jani
    Oh my word- Mimi's is death by French. Whatta way to go!!!!!
  • CHGiffenCHGiffen
    The Awful House is number 1? It got that name in my circle years ago during a conference where a few of us went there for breakfast one day.

The Backsteak Outhouse is a little pricey for some, sometimes also known as the Backhouse Stakeout.

The Alive or Dead But Not Cooked Garden once served my wife a chicken dish (Kiev?) that was still frozen solid. From then on, I've sought out olives elsewhere.

• Kathy
    I went on a crosscountry trip in college, the organizer of which allowed no stops except at Waffle Houses. So Cracker Barrel gets my vote.
  • CharlesW
    I attribute it to my Scottish ancestors, but I prefer money in my pocket to money in the pocket of some restaurant. I will buy their stocks, if they are profitable, but don't actually patronize them except on rare occasions.
  • Adam WoodAdam Wood
    Waffle House is the greatest restaurant chain in the history of either chains or restaurants.
  • Kathy
    ADAM IS COMPLETELY WRONG AND MUST BE BANNED.
  • chonakchonak
    I'm rather partial to La Madeleine and wish they'd expand.
  • melofluentmelofluent
    And they serve grits.
    Tag, go get her Little Joe!
  • Kathy
    La Madeleine's oatmeal with blueberries and pecans is a real winner.

If you got it at Waffle House it would come with a slice of melted American cheese on it.
  • melofluentmelofluent
    melted American cheese on it.

Yeah, baby! But I would like to note there is no such thing as "American cheese" (except in some hymnals!) It is properly known as "Artificial cheese product." And I'd wager some scientist somewhere says s/he has the evidence it is a cancer preventative, like chocolate and red wine.
  • Cantus67Cantus67
    I have to say Pomerium (They're at Notre Dame, and I know that there is much argument to be made about the "Catholicness" of ND)but I love the exquisite tuning. Way too often I think we're enamoured with groups that just don't tune well.
    http://www.metmuseum.org/metmedia/video/concerts/pomerium
    https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/pomerium/music-for-tudor-queens
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O-25R_SaDao&list=PL2052F9A267942060
  • CHGiffenCHGiffen
    Although Alexander Blachly directs the University of Notre Dame Chorale, Pomerium was founded and is (still) based in New York City. One of Pomerium's sopranos used to sing with me as a member of the Charlottesville, VA based early music ensemble Zephyrus.
  • BruceL
    Whataburger uber alles.
  • PhatFlute
    But serious, who are you're votes.
  • CharlesW
    But serious(ly), most of us are not voting and don't intend to do so.
  • Kathy
    Is there a cash prize? If so I nominate me.
  • melofluentmelofluent
    Phil, with respect, I will try for my own part to explain why the mere notion of "Best Catholic Musician" is a flag that cannot and will not be raised here, so you know I care about your well intended purposes.
    I happen to think that Broadway diva (in the truest sense) Audra McDonald possesses the most beautiful voice in the world. Let's say, for the purposes of illustration only, that she was baptized "Catholic (she was and is not.)" She attends Mass occasionally, doesn't receive Communion, but lives an exemplary life otherwise. She has a daughter from a previous civil marriage, loves her second husband thoroughly and helps raise her stepsons with great family values. She volunteers at benefits many times every year, including those which support causes which are antithetical to Church principles. Other than all that, she remains the most talented Catholic on the planet in my estimation. Do I vote for her simply based upon what answer she fills on a form that asks "Religion_____________"?
    Secondly, let's pretend we can have an "American Idol" contest for practicising Catholic Liturgical musicians. Whomever "wins" is not an authentic validation. There's always somewhere, someone who is more talented, more dedicated, more whatever. We just don't know of that person, where that person lives and ministers.
    If you really require a name, seriously, then think of the Holy Trinity. He (and his Mother) are at once singer and song. He is Creator and creation. He is artist and art.
    So, if we could abandon ship on this cruise of wist, that would be of great comfort to me personally. I only speak for myself.
  • chonakchonak
    I think this thread was fine the way Phat started it: just looking for people to talk about their favorite musicians. That's something worth sharing.

Thanked by 1MatthewRoth
  • melofluentmelofluent
    Of course you do, of course it is.
  • PhatFlute
    None of that sass please and thank you.
  • chonakchonak
    (Oh, Phat, I don't think melo was being sassy there. Sometimes the "tone" of an expression isn't clear when we only have written words to go by.)
  • melofluentmelofluent
    Thanks, RC.
    Phil, did you even read what I charitably offered you directly above? You give no indication or acknowledgment thus far that you have. If you wish to infer judgment and character flaws of posters here, then expect some of us to "dust our sandals off and move on."
    I'm 63 (and in the same demographic with fellows such as FNJ, CHG, MJB and many others) and have been at this for 44 years now.
    Your insistance that all of us fit into your box just doesn't fly with this geezer, especially when we're trying to help you and others with our experiences and POVs.
    Pax
    Charles
  • GavinGavin
    Am I the only person who didn't take Phil seriously from the start?
    Thanked by 3CharlesW Ben BruceL
  • melofluentmelofluent
    My restaurant post of June 8 was my subtle acknowledgment of silliness.
    But, Gavin, as ancient as I am, I remain a hopeless, hapless naif, so I tend not to assume someone's trolling and meet them where they're at. My bad, I suppose.
  • francis
    I thought Phat was dead serious; favorite is one thing - - best is just impossible.
    Thanked by 2chonak eft94530
  • CharlesW
    I thought it was a well-known Asian who has a tendency to pontificate, posting under another name. Can't be so, since the referenced Asian has good command of English and means well, only wanting the best of good sacred music - despite the occasional pontificating. ;-)
  • PhatFlute
    Ok ok ok well I did read it like sass. But must be my mistake. I do read everything to my ability, and I appreciate all honest in put of yours. I insure you my thoughts were serious, although I only teased with my most reasont suggestion of the idea.
    Ph
  • jefe
    No contest in my mind. The late Richard Proulx (1937-2010, pronounced, Prooh) One of the truly Mystical Roman musicians I've ever known. He could do it all and applied his talent as long as he could.
    jefe